Author Topic: Ice cleats???  (Read 1915 times)

Offline Invader

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice cleats???
« on: Jan 10, 2017, 03:20 PM »
Please give some ideas on ice cleats. I see them from $5 to $50. I would like a pair that last and doesn't get clogged. I had a pair that looked like springs coiled on bottom but they got clogged REALLY EASY. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
THANKS!!!

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ice cleats???
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2017, 11:54 PM »
the only ones I recommend is the Kahtoola Micro Spikes. I have used them the past three seasons now and can basically run on glare ice if needed. I won't have anything but the micro spikes from now on. they are pricey at around $60-65 per pair but that is cheaper then a ER visit.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2017, 07:07 AM »
I never run on ice no matter what. I use the cheap $6 Either HT Ice or Celsius strap on cleats.
Celsius Foot Foot Ice Cleat
HT Enterprises Sure Grip Ice Cleats
I have always used this type and they last a long time. The ones I am using this year are about 5 years old.
<===Lefty===

Offline graybeard1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2017, 09:51 AM »
If you can spend the 65-70 bucks, get the Kahtoolas. I used my micro spikes for the first time the other day, and there is no comparison to anything else I've tried. I was fairly happy with the Yaktraxx, but they aren't nothing like the Kahtoolas. Look like they should be durable, they grip like crazy, and from what I've read, their customer service is great if you do have a problem.

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2017, 01:24 PM »
I bought a pair of Stabilicers Maxx for my Cabelas Trans Alaska Pac Boots. Used them for the first time this morning and am very satisfied.

Offline wolverine

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If I ain't gettin em I'm Lookin
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2017, 07:51 PM »
Arctic Spurs for me, never clog up and never slip

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2017, 11:40 PM »
The cleats I like the best out of all the ones I've tried are the HT Omni Tech Super Stud Sandal.  They look like the sole of your boot and have studs all around the edge so there's no pressure points and sore feet at the end of the day.  You can buy them off their site and they run $29.99.

Here's a link to the page with them:

http://icefish.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=65_81

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2017, 06:17 AM »
Hillsound Trail Crampons, best ice cleats out there. I like them better because of the fore foot strap, Kahtoolas dont have this.

Offline RIMainuh

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cold nuf for ya?
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2017, 12:21 PM »
I have the stabilicers for standard LL Bean Boots and they are great. I am also looking for something like the Stabilicers MAXX for my Baffin Ranger boots but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I'll keep an eye on this thread for ideas too.  :tipup:
Chepachet....The Alaska of Rhode Island

Offline Team_Reload

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2017, 12:26 PM »
I use ICEtrekkers® Diamond Grip Ice Cleats and I really like them. Nothing in them to get clogged up and good traction. Good luck this year!

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2017, 07:36 PM »
I can't say enough good about my Kahtoola's. Secure safety, reliable traction, easy on/off (and that's on size 14 Muck Arctic Pros), great warranty and customer service, even more worth it when you can use a coupon.

I got mine from thewarmingstore.com last season for $55 shipped w/ coupon. Being 6' tall and 250#+ it's very cheap insurance compared to a hospital visit and busted up body.

I wore them this morning to salt my driveway when everything was covered in 1/8" of ice. Quick rinse in fresh water and good to go. No pressure spots on my feet and the metal spikes holds up well against concrete too. Not something I've heard the cheaper brands doing very well. There's a YouTube video where a guy reviewing them plays tug-of-war with a chained-tire golf cart out on the ice. Kahtoola's won...then I bought a pair lol.

I don't really buy into the forestrap thing. Doesn't prevent a toe or heel from slipping off, you just don't lose them. If I need to strap on my cleats, that aren't full-on crampons, I need better quality. Kahtoola's do that for me.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2017, 08:32 PM »
Quality of the Hillsounds are second to none.

Offline Coachkwj

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2017, 05:04 PM »
Stabilicers Maxx. Reasonable and don't come off like the cheaper rubber slipons.
Don't fall in. Unless it's a big one.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2017, 05:56 PM »
Kahtoolas ...and never look back

https://www.campmor.com/c/kahtoola-microspikes-traction-system

use code save20
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 19, 2017, 10:46 AM »
Kahtoola's all the way..
Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #16 on: Jan 19, 2017, 05:16 PM »
Sorry but they would be the last thing I'd wear on the ice,  one wrong twist or turn and a broken ankle or two or knees twisted.  The spikes are too long.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 19, 2017, 05:23 PM »
Hillsound Trail Crampons, best ice cleats out there. I like them better because of the fore foot strap, Kahtoolas dont have this.
.       X2 the strap makes the difference!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.