The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Kids  (Read 1481 times)

Offline Siennalyman

• IceShanty Rookie
Kids
« on: Jan 10, 2017, 12:12 PM »
Any ideas on keeping kids entertained while on the ice?

Offline [email protected]

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Kids
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2017, 01:23 PM »
Boxing gloves

Offline bean counter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2017, 01:25 PM »
frisbee and a football.  plenty of snacks.  extra socks and gloves.  and a flask (that one's for me)

Offline Grendel Shooter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2017, 01:30 PM »
Pack of blackcats and matches! Put a pole in their hand and let'm fish. Use to take my son deer hunting back east and would put him in the popup blind with a coloring book and a few select toys and we watch for deer.  Make sure you got snacks, they don't care too much for Copenhagen.

Offline Rydersdad

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2017, 11:16 AM »
Ours fish, but play intermittently: hockey sticks (can rig some together with wood and duct tape) and a puck or chunk of wood, ice skates, or just sliding around on the ice.

Offline CA1492

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2017, 11:36 AM »
We bring a "pocket" kite.  It and the string fit in a small bag.
It's almost always windy and few trees out there.
~CA1492

Build a man a fire and he is warm for a day.
Light a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Icemanjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2017, 08:04 PM »
Lots of snacks, a small snow shovel, the survival type and let them build snow forts.  Make a fire and let them tend it.
Here fishy fishy fishy, I don't want to hurt you, I just want to catch you!

Offline Special

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Old School
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2017, 09:31 PM »
My underwater camera can keep them entertained all day long. If not its Football and Wrestling. At the same time my friends yelling to knock it off. And back at it in a few.  LOL but I do my best to keep them on the bite. We have one follower that is all in he loves it. Reminds me back in the day. He all for the chase. Lets move lets find active fish. We let him choose locations a couple times a day to help him grow into a future icefisherman. Man love that kid. 
No one left behind.     

Offline liv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2017, 04:22 PM »
Good snacks!!!! Thermos of hot cocoa . I would have my kids pack a small bag of toys. My ice sled ends up being a snow sled for them to play in. A good heater to always keep them warm. We usually take walks to look around at what ever sparks their intrest. Some times the fishing was of no intrest to them, playing and having fun was number one. We usually leave earlier than I would like, but making it enjoyable for them takes presidence.

Offline Wyojoe20

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2017, 10:38 PM »
Go to Healy, just make sure you have slip bobbers or similar so they can see the hits. Almost never any wind there and plenty of eager perch. I took 5 yr olds and they had a blast.

Offline Gadoo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2017, 10:42 PM »
Hockey sticks and a puck!

Offline Rags777

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2017, 09:10 PM »
My ten year old is great as long as you let him use the flasher, pry gonna have to break down and get him his own next year. Or me a new one  ;D

Offline CheyWyo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 25, 2017, 01:15 PM »
Safety first then keep them warm and dry, which means spare clothes probably. Next let them fish a bit, then move onto something else till fish action happens if they are showing signs of boredom. The something else can just be playing in snow, reading/coloring, whatever they are into and can transport easy enough. Keep safety in mind always.

Offline hogtooth

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 28, 2017, 11:09 AM »
My underwater camera can keep them entertained all day long. If not its Football and Wrestling. At the same time my friends yelling to knock it off. And back at it in a few.  LOL but I do my best to keep them on the bite. We have one follower that is all in he loves it. Reminds me back in the day. He all for the chase. Lets move lets find active fish. We let him choose locations a couple times a day to help him grow into a future icefisherman. Man love that kid. 

Could not agree more about the camera!  Totally locks them to the screen "oh look at that huge hog right there!"   Keep em warm and comfortable as possible.

Offline brownb56

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 03, 2017, 10:04 AM »
My daughter loves fishing. Usually out fishes me and the wife. Said she doesn't want to go ice fishing anymore because she doesn't catch anything. She does just not as fast as in the summer lol. Might have to bring her sand bucket and shovel next time.
Teach a man to fish and he will have food for life, teach a woman to fish and he will be happy for life.

Offline Step-Up

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 04, 2017, 03:53 PM »
Safety first then keep them warm and dry, which means spare clothes probably. Next let them fish a bit, then move onto something else till fish action happens if they are showing signs of boredom. The something else can just be playing in snow, reading/coloring, whatever they are into and can transport easy enough. Keep safety in mind always.

LOL, emphasis on dry! Extra cloths and a shelter to get out of the wind were key with my kids. When they were younger I could poke 2 holes in the whole lake and by noon somebody had stepped in a hole. My teenage son and I still laugh remembering the time he spent the afternoon next to the heater inside our pop-up fishing in his boxers with one foot in a bucket.  His snow pants, pants, thermals and one boot outside drying/freezing in the wind after he stepped in the hole and sank up to his thigh!!  Be safe and be prepared, and you might find some of today's challenges are tomorrow's best memories.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.