The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: i want to build an ice shack and i need ideas  (Read 2069 times)

Offline CountryBoy03

• IceShanty Rookie
i want to build an ice shack and i need ideas
« on: Jan 10, 2017, 11:45 AM »
does anybody have a good idea for an ice shack. I want to build one but i don't have any ideas.   
anything would help.
                                    THANKS !!!!! ;D
Red-Neck_Fishing

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: i want to build an ice shack
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2017, 11:50 AM »
Helped build a couple a long time ago- the biggest lesson people learn is that whatever you build, it needs to be something you can transport and that will fit wherever you plan to store it during the off season. Paying attention to the weight of the structure and dimensions is very important. :)
May the fish be with you.

Randy

Offline CountryBoy03

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2017, 11:51 AM »
that sounds like it would help
Red-Neck_Fishing

Offline JMailbox8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2017, 11:54 AM »
Depends on what you want to do with it. Also, if you want it to be portable or not. My next shanty build will hands down be a Michiana shanty: http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=117109.20  And the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxUZYDZyY9Q

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: i want to build an ice shack and i need ideas
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2017, 12:19 PM »
I am in the middle of planning a build myself. Weight is the biggest factor especially with the winters we have been having, It would be great to have a 40ft long RV with slide outs, but why spend the money on something to heavy to put on the ice. My goal for my current build is to stay under 2200lb with a fully mobile shack built on a trailer frame. There are a lot of ways one can go depending on if you will day use, or sleep in it.

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2017, 12:25 PM »
Here are a few pages to scroll through  ;D ;D

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=33.0

I did the hardside thing years ago, its not for me. I like the freedom of a portable.

Good luck with your build, keep us posted  :tipup:

Offline CountryBoy03

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2017, 12:52 PM »
thanks for all the tips they are well appreciated  ;D
Red-Neck_Fishing

Offline williev18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2017, 08:53 PM »
You'll want to measure what you plan on moving it (pick up bed/trailer) with then base your size on that. Then are you planning on sleeping in it or just day trips. Then look at what materials you have to work with, and what your budjet looks like.

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2017, 10:08 PM »
Have a plan in place for removing it from the ice before you build it. As it sits there it will inevitably get stuck. You will also need to build it with provisions for anchoring it.
May the fish be with you.

Randy

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2017, 07:08 AM »
Make sure the door swings inward, if it starts to sink with you in it you want to be able to get out.

Don't build it too tall, it will catch more wind and strain your tie downs.

Skirt it with snow or some sort of material if no snow to keep wind from blowing under it.

Build it light, this is VT and if you want to get much use out of it you will want to be able to get it out when there is 8" or so of ice and not have to wait for 12" or more.

Offline shadylane

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2017, 09:27 AM »
Buddy of mine and I built one custom to fit in the back of my pick-up.  It'd slide up between the wheel wells, and then "bench out" to rest on top of my bed.  Worked good, was a bit heavy, but the two of us together could manhandle it in and outta the truck.  Where it benched out turned into benches on the inside.  We made it 8' long I believe, with 4 fishable holes in the floor.  It worked pretty good.

Offline ice chilly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2017, 05:26 PM »
i built mine out of a popup camper its sweet 3 holes but i never got to use it last year cause  conditions on magog.
didnt  alow  trk traffic

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2017, 06:56 PM »
I made one once out of 1x3 strapping with various types of lightweight sheathing. had a one slant roof and sliding pexi windows you could shoot out of. was manageable and cheap. good for deer season too. 

Offline northern nightmare

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When hell freezes over i'll ice fish there too.
« Reply #13 on: Jan 12, 2017, 09:49 AM »
years ago I built one out of a pop up camper, removed the roof and canvas, framed it up with 2x3's, foam board insulation and metal roof. Had a kerosene heater that would cook you out. left the table and bench seats in and added bunks on the opposite end. Put a counter along the wall with the stove top. No holes in the floor, it was just for warming up and sleeping. Depending on how much snow was on ice a good ATV could tow it out. Usually we towed it with a pickup.

Offline vtcountrychamp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 12, 2017, 06:07 PM »
I'm actually looking into the pop-up camper for ice fishing tournaments and overnighters. Even if I cant get it out far, I can at least sleep there and not have to drive in the morning. Plus you can drink and not have to leave.

Offline metalligoo2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 14, 2017, 04:10 AM »
A mistake I made years ago was building my shanty tall, 6 foot was the lowest part of the roof. Big mistake, if I wanted to keep my feet warm it had to be about 90 degrees in the shanty. The only smart thing I did with that build was to use bichuthane (Grace ice & water shield) on the roof, wish I had done it all the way around the outside.

Offline vtbuckrulrss

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 14, 2017, 11:06 AM »
My Dad, cousin and I built one years ago, which worked great, and was portable. Ripped down 2 x 4's. Built on skids. Made it in 2 sections, a lower and an upper.  The upper was 3" larger than the bottom, and slid down over the bottom while in transit.  Sides were clear plastic, making it light to carry, light to see, and the sun warmed it up nicely.  Once we got to where we wanted to be, we had lag bolts for the corners and middle, with a camper style door I think. Just lift it up into place.  Sat on buckets I think.
Silly rookies, traps are for animals!!  Tilts are for kids!!  Fishermen use tip ups!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.