The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Storing cordless drill batteries while fishing?  (Read 4421 times)

Offline Land of 10,000

• IceShanty Rookie
Storing cordless drill batteries while fishing?
« on: Jan 10, 2017, 10:11 AM »
Just ordered the 8" K-Drill last night and a brushless 1/2" Milwaukee M18 Fuel Lithium Ion with 3 batteries.  The one Vexilar recommends.  Anyways, Any good ideas on how you guys are storing your batteries (To keep them semi-warm & extend their life expectancy) while on the go ice fishing with your mobile flip overs???  I got plenty of 2x, 1x and sheathing laying around, as well as 1/4", 3/8"/1", 1 1/2" & 2" insulation amongst other stuff.  Don't really want something bulky though taking up a bunch of space in my one-man.   Thanks.

Offline CamoAndTieDye

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Flag!
Re: Storing cordless drill batteries while fishing?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2017, 10:19 AM »
Not sure if this would work for you but for my Ion auger's lithium battery I just took and old soft sided cooler bag, threw a small towel in there and a couple unopened handwarmer packets. When I'm out on the ice I Crack open one of the warmer packets and after I drill my holes I pop out the battery, and throw in the bag with the warmer wrapped in the towel. Works great for me and don't see why it wouldn't work for other lithium batteries, plus you can always steal the warmer for your hands for a few minutes whenever needed. Hope this helps.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2017, 10:35 AM »
You do not have to keep the Milwaukee battery's "warm". They will be fine I have fished at -16* and left on the ice most of day till we left and was no problems. Buddy's drill won't mention name, pooped out after about a hour. Mine was going strong after about 4 hours , we left. Buy a good setup and don't worry about hand warmers and a cooler!!!   They pretty much have the cold weather battery figured out IMO!!!

Offline peteinvermont

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2017, 10:37 AM »
You do not have to keep the Milwaukee battery's "warm". They will be fine I have fished at -16* and left on the ice most of day till we left and was no problems. Buddy's drill won't mention name, pooped out after about a hour. Mine was going strong after about 4 hours , we left. Buy a good setup and don't worry about hand warmers and a cooler!!!

My experience is the same as this. 

Offline MFallon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2017, 10:40 AM »
Wish I saw this yesterday, bought a cheap soft side cooler for my batteries last night! Looks like I'll just have to use it for a 6 pack.

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2017, 10:57 AM »
i use rigid and literally lay it on the ice when not in use. Never have had an issue.

Offline Rod Bender 101

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2017, 11:19 AM »
I have an ION and I leave it on the drill and I don"t have a problem, my spare battery I put in an old heavy sock and through it in my bucket, haven"t had any problems yet. :)

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2017, 11:22 AM »
 ??? I keep my DeWalt and two batteries in the original case.  If its really cold I might toss in a hand warmer?
Dick

Offline paddock

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2017, 11:45 AM »
Just ordered the 8" K-Drill last night and a brushless 1/2" Milwaukee M18 Fuel Lithium Ion with 3 batteries.  The one Vexilar recommends.  Anyways, Any good ideas on how you guys are storing your batteries (To keep them semi-warm & extend their life expectancy) while on the go ice fishing with your mobile flip overs???  I got plenty of 2x, 1x and sheathing laying around, as well as 1/4", 3/8"/1", 1 1/2" & 2" insulation amongst other stuff.  Don't really want something bulky though taking up a bunch of space in my one-man.   Thanks.

Got the same exact setup a few weeks ago (and love it). Was out both days the past weekend on Champlain, drilled 15-20 holes each day and left the rig on the ice both days. Even left the battery on the drill in my non-heated garage over night, and at the end of the day Sunday the light up battery tester on the actual battery still lit up all bars. i had an old soft sided cooler laying around and that's what the extra battery goes in, but after this weekend it doesn't seem necessary. you're going to love this auger setup!

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2017, 03:13 PM »
If it's real cold I'll worry about it.
Crown royal bag with a hand warmer in it.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline seymourbass

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2017, 03:23 PM »
If it's real cold I'll worry about it.
Crown royal bag with a hand warmer in it.

Ditto!

Offline FishinDJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2017, 08:15 PM »
When possible I try to keep the battery off the ice by propping my drill against the sled or laying it on top of my rod bag. Mostly it just ends up on the ice and I haven't had any issues, even in this past weekends cold temps. This is my first season with the Milwaukee and I haven't needed to change batteries on ice yet, but I keep a spare wrapped in a fleece pullover inside my backpack.

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 10, 2017, 08:23 PM »
i use rigid and literally lay it on the ice when not in use. Never have had an issue.
i run the ridgid also and have used it a number of times this year in below zero weather and left it out in the open and had no problems picking it up and drilling holes in 6 inches of ice.  i like to keep my crown in my crown royal bag boys.  hahahaha

Offline perchkiller123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 10, 2017, 08:35 PM »
I put my extra one in a ziplock bag to protect it from water and other things. And put that I my bucket on top of other things.

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2017, 07:14 AM »
I have the girly man 18V DeWalt, been using it with no problems for 3 or 4 (maybe more?) seasons now. I learned a long time ago that these girly man DeeeWalt batteries won't tolerate being frozen, you gotta pamper them in a nice warm place to get the best performance out of them so I keep the battery in a sacred spot, right down the front of my overalls. There are advantages to this: 1) the battery stays toasty 2) you won't forget where you put it 3) when you meet a female ice angler she will immediately see that you are pleased to meet her  ;D ;D

My next investment, if this girly man DeeWalt ever craps out on me, is the Meeeeelwakeee M18, it hands down has the best reviews on the WWW as far as I can tell.  :tipup:

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #15 on: Jan 11, 2017, 07:21 AM »
Get a rigid, much better warranty chucks hold up better than the Milwaukee.
I tried the Milwaukee its a great drill, but the chucks just don't hold up.
Had to send mine back twice. Went all season last year with the rigid no issues.
I'm running the 6" nills auger.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline Fish Hard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 11, 2017, 07:29 AM »
2) you won't forget where you put it 3) when you meet a female ice angler she will immediately see that you are pleased to meet her  ;D ;D

You crack me up Lavman!

Offline stimpyNEK

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 11, 2017, 04:02 PM »
Had to send mine back twice. Went all season last year with the rigid no issues.
had my m18 for 3 years now and never had a issue with the chuck...run mine with a 4" nils and a 6" mora
Its T shirt weather until you can actually die of hypothermia

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 11, 2017, 04:26 PM »
.         U must have got a lemon, having to send it back twice, 4 years on mine no problems!!

Offline pokholes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 12, 2017, 03:45 AM »
.         U must have got a lemon, having to send it back twice, 4 years on mine no problems!!
Going on 5 years here with no problems, but the batteries are getting tired, and don't last like they used too.

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #20 on: Jan 12, 2017, 07:33 AM »
2) you won't forget where you put it 3) when you meet a female ice angler she will immediately see that you are pleased to meet her  ;D ;D

You crack me up Lavman!

;D

Offline jbrown

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Gary Owen
« Reply #21 on: Jan 13, 2017, 04:35 AM »
I have run my nils and a 19.2 volt brushless craftman for 4 years. Never any issues. High torque low speed setting. Have drilled hundreds of holes. I did purchase a 4 amp battery which was pricey but I has never run out. I am jigging and often it takes a kkkot of moving and drilling to find the fish. Great light setup and my shoulder does not hurt anymore.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.