Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Ice growth and melt question  (Read 1458 times)

Offline Qceskimo

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice growth and melt question
« on: Jan 10, 2017, 09:05 AM »
Does anyone have any idea how much ice is gained or lost in a day depending on temp?  I feel like I'm always under estimating ice growth and over estimating ice melt.

Offline prestonc

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice growth and melt question
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2017, 09:34 AM »
That's a good way to be!  There are charts on it, but they are far from perfect.  The rain will hurt the ice more than the warmer temperature, but not having snow on top will help make more ice faster when it gets cold again.  When there's snow it insulates the ice causing it to form less quickly.  Ice thickness is a funny thing.  You can easily drive a quad on 10" of good ice.  You can possibly fall through 10" of bad ice (end of the season).  Springs can open holes early for the winter.  Last Tuesday there were open spots 12" to 8 feet round  with 8" of good ice at their sides where I was fishing.  They were frozen back solid quickly by the cold weather. In the black ice they were kind of hard to see.  A pretty good way to tell bad ice at the end of the season (based on my personal observation) -  There will be a reasonable time frame when there is water on top of the ice from melting, maybe a few days to a week.  Then there will be a day when there is no water on top of the ice, but it is still above freezing.  This means the ice has become porous to the point the water can no longer be held on top (bad ice).  You MIGHT be able to fish for a couple more days, but this is a great time to call it quits for the year.  If you're not sure, don't go.  Don't ever just go because someone else is out there.  If anyone sees flaw in my logic please point it out for all of our safety.

Offline Bates

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice growth and melt question
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2017, 10:12 AM »
Early ice (new) will be the strongest ice to have , cold temps with no snow on top will grow the strongest ice. The part of the state (iowa) has a lot to do with this also, ice in the north west will be first and gone last. Years of ice fishing will also help you understand this and realize how it works from early to late ice. Personal knowledge will be the best, don't rely on what someone says on the Internet as the truth. Even lake to lake in close proximity will have different ice conditions. A lake by me had 14" last week and yesterday barely 15" even with the very cold we had up here for a few days. Early rain isn't as bad as late rain, lots of variables have to be considered with each situation. This is only my 2 pennies

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.