Author Topic: Coho  (Read 996 times)

Offline whopperstopper

• IceShanty Rookie
Coho
« on: Feb 12, 2006, 11:55 AM »
Went 10-16 Sat morning.Coho's are running about 2 pounds and will be growing steadilly. We launched out of Michigan City. Fish were active in the "Pass" and along black ditch in 20-40 feet deep. Lots of baitfish showing up around Gary Light and the hole in the wall. Fish came on dodger/fly combo. Silver dodger blue/green fly has been hot along with a version of fly that I make that resembles the "Gay Pride" spoons that have been so productive. Big browns are also being taken and a few steelies. Anybody with a boat 16 feet or larger can go out and have a blast with minimal equip. Let me know if anybody needs tips for setting up a small boat properly.
                                  WhOpPeR Stopper

JRSwillow

Re: Coho
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2010, 01:14 PM »
Went 10-16 Sat morning.Coho's are running about 2 pounds and will be growing steadilly. We launched out of Michigan City. Fish were active in the "Pass" and along black ditch in 20-40 feet deep. Lots of baitfish showing up around Gary Light and the hole in the wall. Fish came on dodger/fly combo. Silver dodger blue/green fly has been hot along with a version of fly that I make that resembles the "Gay Pride" spoons that have been so productive. Big browns are also being taken and a few steelies. Anybody with a boat 16 feet or larger can go out and have a blast with minimal equip. Let me know if anybody needs tips for setting up a small boat properly.
                                  WhOpPeR Stopper

whats up with the browns in burns ditch i killed the coho last year when do you think theyll start running

Offline waterfowler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2010, 03:42 PM »
wow man you would have had to go back page after page to find that post its all the way back from 2006 that guy hasnt been active since 2006

Offline Derslayer1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • EAT   SLEEP   FISH
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2010, 06:35 PM »
Swill... still a little early but apparently there was a good bite when the heat wave went thru. We launched out of doynes marina today JUST to chk that story. Trailored the ramps one inch ice, broke thru, launched, headed towards the mouth. Nothin around the discharge before the mouth (but marked). Southwest winds had some bergs at the mouth, pushed thru them. Milk chocolate line turned str8 right towards the port, with some bergs outside the wall, maybe one little ice pack. Trolled the area in and outside of that. KO,s, crocs, cleos. (standard colors) profile baits in fire tiger, (thunder jrs, shadraps etc). Thinfins also a no go, red ladderback, green. Did not try any peanuts, flys nor dodgers. Flatlined rods, no boards either.  The snow started, wind still SW, but slush pockets forming. Two hours later you could not troll anything. Slush was everywhere, lures riding up. Last run we hit one coho, 15incher, released. HAD to go, futile with the slush, slipped back inside the ditch...trolled the area hard, many marks, no takers. Cold but tolerable for a few. Late February and march right into april is the gig, its comin. Felt good to be out there tho the bite was nada. GLSFC is a forum you and others may have interest in for the bite at surrounding launches/harbors.

Crappy pic but it was a tad cold, ice all over the breakwalls, floatin everywhere. Did I mention it was cold? Shiverin made for the poor pic...

Offline h2.0shaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2010, 09:55 PM »
Still a good pic tho, Its cool how the ice packs up out there

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.