Author Topic: feelsbadman  (Read 1135 times)

Offline gunslinger

• Team IceShanty Regular
feelsbadman
« on: Jan 09, 2017, 01:45 PM »
headed up to McCall Friday after work. and everything was looking good.as we pulled into McCall it began. the radiator on the truck blew a hose, and we immediately had to pull into the main gas station get her put back together and topped off with fluids. after a two and a half hour drive this really had my nine month old screaming my wife was frustrated and my four year old with all the four year old questions lol. but we headed on to the cabin and all seemed ok.... but not for long forgetting the playpen and the four year olds night light made for a long long long night for the four of us. the alarm clock went off at five and we got ready to head out fishing with high hopes that our luck would turn around... not the case... even with the radiator fluid completely full the heater in the truck wouldn't work at all, the heater core must hav bin plugged. so whatever temp it was outside was also the inside temp of the truck. almost to horesthief the kids and the wife were frozen and my four year old was extremely upset about it, but all would be well when we arrived and fired up the big buddy heater in the shanty right? then I got the idea lets run the big buddy heater in the cab after all it is an indoor safe heater. so we pulled over and I attempted to fire it up. wa wa wa the propane was to cold to work so heading into the lake was a bad idea to say the least. as we were parked my brakes froze on and the abs light came on. so turning around (at the turnoff to horsethief road) was almost impossible on the ice with the brakes on. we headed back to warm up the propane and see if we could get the heater running on the way my wife spilled everything trying to make my 9 month old a bottle and just as it seemed things couldn't get any worse my daughter looked at me and said the dreaded words daddy my tummy hurts...blauauauaaugh. ..blaouaoauaoaugh....b laoaoaoauauaugh... and we went home tails between our legs. we arrived home to frozen pipes and an entirely snowed in driveway. what a weakend. just wanted to see my daughter catch a fish, but $300 into our attempt cold defeat :( feels bad man

Offline BFTSkunkedAgain

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: feelsbadman
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2017, 03:39 PM »
Well what can I say, something like at least it isn't raining.... crash of thunder.... Sorry that's got to be a nice set of family memories that will be referred to for years to come.... Do you think you have an air bubble in your heater core blocking the flow of fluid?  I'd check that if you haven't already... Hope the luck turns around... Later J

Offline gunslinger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2017, 05:08 PM »
getting ready to tare into the truck in the next couple of days to find out. hafta dig threw the six foot snow berm in front of the shop first lol. guess everything happens for a reason if we had fished and stayed another night at we may hav come home to busted pipes instead of frozen pipes so at least theres that. put the buddy heater in the pump room and it thawed out with no leaks so there is that gues the heater was good for something after all

Offline caldwellite

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2017, 10:46 PM »
Any propane heater in the truck is not a good idea. The fumes get bad fast. Don't ask how I know. Take a empty coffee can ,line the sides with styrofoam pieces , put a hand warmer in the bottom ,put your propane bottle in it and it will usually work. Nampa wallmart had packs of 10 of the large size warmers for $ 5 today. Cold temps and snow can get fun fast. You are home safe , that is the important part.

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2017, 11:10 PM »
Use my little buddy in my truck a lot no problem.
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline idahopanfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2017, 07:39 AM »
That is a very sad story!
Michael
Keep looking to the East
He will be coming in the clouds.

Offline massNtrash

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2017, 07:59 AM »
Well your next trip out is surely to be better! Good thing you caught the frozen pipes early enough.

Offline gunslinger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2017, 09:13 AM »
i was using a 5 gallon propane tank haha dont ask why. i could hav popped the hood and heated it on the motor but time was short and tensions were high making a moving truck feel like some sort of progress. i am thankful to hav caught the pipes in time that could hav gotten much more expensive in a hurry. and yes im sure next time by default has-to be better. hope im not jinksing myself.
sad but i was hoping to fish horsethief with her before all the fresh snow hit and before it gets carpet bombed next weekend. we would go for the youth day but we are busy that weekend, and not sure how hopefull fishing would feel the weekend after crouds like that.   

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2017, 07:15 PM »
Nah, taking women and children ice fishing in iffy weather is a recipe for disaster.  You musta needed to ice fish very badly- ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline IceFishinTy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2017, 07:22 PM »
I hope the truck is an easy fix for you, it sounds like you are due for some good news!

Offline gunslinger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2017, 07:27 AM »
nah i didnt need to fish at all or i wouldnt hav been fishing for planters at horsethief. my daughter loves it and her and my wife were begging to go for some time.

as fore the truck im hoping its an easy fix to i do need it haha

Offline stitch

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2017, 09:54 AM »
Tough story man, but someday maybe youll be able to look back and laff.good luck w/ truck.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.