Author Topic: Some rod and tackle advice.....  (Read 1414 times)

Offline Papa Lar

• IceShanty Rookie
Some rod and tackle advice.....
« on: Jan 09, 2017, 11:45 AM »
I'm planning on heading out to Colorado in a couple weeks and expect to get some fishing in. You guys have been very helpful in giving me some places to try out and I believe I will be giving Turquoise a shot. Most of my fishing is for Northerns and panfish here in Nebraska and SD. I have a Vexilar and camera and am hoping to give them both a workout out there. But I am in need of a new rod and reel since I lost one to a large northern over New Years. So I was wondering if some of you would give me some advice on a good combo to buy that would hold up to the larger fish I may encounter on Turquoise. And maybe some tackle and bait suggestions? Should I be targeting any particular time of day? Thanks!

Offline walleyeslayer06

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Some rod and tackle advice.....
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2017, 12:58 PM »
I fish light and medium light rods with spring bobbers on the tips.  Either 4 or 6 lb fluoro since the fish out here spook easily.  Tube jigs tipped with wax worms tend to be a standby around here, focus on chartruse, white and red/orange.  Probably not a bad idea to have some buckshot and flashy spoons for attraction.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2017, 07:23 PM »
Ain't many large fish in Turq.  medium light action 4-6 lb test will work fine there-
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline COlipripper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2017, 02:08 PM »
I'll add keep your lures on the smaller side. 1/8oz red/gold, blue/silver, gold kastmasters. 1-2" green pumpkin, orange, and white tube jigs. Ratfinkies, ratsos, gill pills, etc.

Also, I never have to venture far from the dam to find willing fish. There's some cool structure right in the small cove and just east side of dam. Good luck and entertain us with a report of how it goes!

Like all fishing; early and late in the day gives you the best chance at fish. I was there in a blizzard once and it was non-stop even at lunch.
Selective harvest works!

Offline Papa Lar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2017, 05:40 PM »
Perfect! Thanks for the advise. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm looking forward to the new scenery and a little different fish than I am used to. I went out Saturday afternoon with another guy just a mile and a half from the house and had well over 30 fish in under 2 hours. Lots of fun with the camera. I just bought a new inline reel so I am looking for a chance to give it a work out. Thanks again.

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2017, 05:50 PM »
I'd rather fish NE or SD any day.  But good luck up there.  It'll be a change of scenery for you, at least.  ;D
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline Papa Lar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2017, 08:19 AM »
Thanks for the good info. Is there a good sporting goods store for bait and tackle in the BV area? Or do I need to get everything in Denver before I get there? And if so do you have any good recommendations in Denver or CO Springs for a good store? I may take a side trip through CS on the way to see my granddaughter.
Here is a couple pics from New Years Weekend.

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2017, 08:46 AM »
Colorado Tackle Pro is in CS, and they can set you up I'm sure.  Click the link at the top of our Colorado Ice Shanty forum to check them out.

I believe there's also a Bass Pro down there in the Springs if that's your sort of thing.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline mattyt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2017, 08:59 AM »
Thanks for the good info. Is there a good sporting goods store for bait and tackle in the BV area? Or do I need to get everything in Denver before I get there? And if so do you have any good recommendations in Denver or CO Springs for a good store? I may take a side trip through CS on the way to see my granddaughter.
Here is a couple pics from New Years Weekend.

sounds like we might need to be taking advice from you!

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2017, 09:07 AM »
Looks like you old geezers can stack your local fish like cordwood. Like bigassbassman I envy you all those perch and bluegill. Any crappie up your way? Walleye? We should arrange some sort of cultural exchange, pannies vs salmonids. As Nate says, Chris at Colorado Tackle Pro will set you up should you pass through the Springs. I think he's savvy on Turquoise also. There's some fly fishing suppliers in Bueny but can't swear to ice fishing vendors. Probably should BYO. Have a great trip.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Malty Falcon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2017, 09:49 AM »
Papa Lar,
There is a tackle shop in Buena Vista, Hi Rocky, but they don't open early, some selection of ice fishing gear.  I heard last week that Turquoise is often very slushy, but that may change in the meantime. 
Twin Lakes nearby has bigger Mackinaw, but not as plentiful as Turquoise. 
Fishin' is better with a Malty Beverage!

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 17, 2017, 11:39 AM »
Hey Papa,
One more thing. In your shoes I'd put in a call to Chris at Colo. Tackle Pro, (719)634-6939. He should be able to update you on all those mountain lakes in that area including Turquoise. If you don't hear what you want to hear, there's always Elevenmile which can certainly produce (but not lakers).
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Papa Lar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 17, 2017, 03:08 PM »
Thanks again for the info. And I would be glad to have a cultural exchange. It's hard to beat a nice perch or crappie through the ice. There are a few places close by that can produce some nice eyes through the ice. I haven't targeted them much. I tend to set out a few tip ups for the northerns and jig for some pannies. That is one nice thing about NE where we can have 5 lines total.

Offline Broll89

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2017, 01:00 PM »
I prefer no rod.  Hand lining is key to subtle bites.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 21, 2017, 04:20 PM »
I prefer no rod.  Hand lining is key to subtle bites.
Back to basics. Just a step above noodling.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Papa Lar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 23, 2017, 05:38 PM »
I stopped in at Colorado Tackle Pro on Saturday Evening. Got a lot of info from Travis. He knows the lakes up here. I was able to get out for about 3 hours Sunday morning. I didn't get anything on the ice but had a good time with the camera. Saw a lot of fish and had some bites but didn't score. I'm looking forward the next couple weeks up here. Thanks again for all the good info!

Offline Papa Lar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 24, 2017, 10:47 PM »
Two and a half hours on the ice today. Had a lot of fun with a dozen rainbows caught and a really nice Tiger Muskie checking out my camera. The bite really picked up at dusk. I wish I could have stayed longer. They were still going strong when I quit at about 6:15. Now I know what you are talking about when you talk about slush. Kind of a pain to drill through with a hand auger. I don't recall running into that in Nebraska.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.