Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Red rock area  (Read 1142 times)

Offline MCNorris

• IceShanty Rookie
Red rock area
« on: Jan 08, 2017, 09:16 PM »
Anybody fish around the pella/knoxville area? Looking for a good spot to take the kiddos, I've been to Robert's Creek twice the last few weeks and didn't catch anything either time. I read on here a few people fishing the marina but I've never been out there, maybe somebody would like to meet up and give me a few pointers? Thanks!

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Red rock area
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2017, 08:03 PM »
Marina is probably a NO- GO this winter for anyone. They are installing all new docking and slips at the marina and have been using a "bubbler system to keep the water open, I drove down by there sunday and it does keep the water open.  I'm not trusting anything close to there this season. Whitebreast is walkable with people i have talked to saying it is varying from 3-7 inches. The bad part of the Whitebreast report is that the water is dirty and heavily stained " probably from the rain and open creek a week ago". I checked the ice conditions Sunday and found 5" near the beach. Roberts has been ok with decent ice but the bite seems a little slow unless you know the lake real well. I personally have been pond hopping for the last few weeks and hammering gillies and Crappies. I'm hoping for better conditions to get on the big lakes here. I'm thinking about trying Rock Creek by Newton this weekend, I have had good luck on the gills there before. Good luck and be safe out there!!!

Offline MCNorris

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2017, 01:28 AM »
Thanks for the info! Wasn't sure what they had going on at the marina, saw construction vehicles and some big equipment there so good to know. I might start looking for another place to fish, there's alot of good spots in this forum for sure!

Offline artfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2017, 03:33 PM »
You might try Red Haw. Has nice sized Gills. The ice was good on the south side a few weeks ago but geese had kept the north end open.
"Red Haw Lake is located in Lucas County, Iowa. This lake is 64 acres in size. Anglers can expect to catch a variety of fish including Black Crappie, Bluegill, Channel Catfish and Largemouth Bass."

Offline MCNorris

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2017, 09:11 PM »
I haven't been to Redhaw since they drained it back in 05ish, it's pretty nice for sure, worth the short drive to check it out. Thanks!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.