Author Topic: Best Reel for the Ice  (Read 3049 times)

Offline boz96

• IceShanty Rookie
Best Reel for the Ice
« on: Jan 08, 2017, 03:42 PM »
Gentlemen, and Ladies where applicable, I have been out of the game for 4 years do to I hate the cold now and becoming a father.  Finally got the gear out of the hay loft.  I use spinning reels and old school rods with no reel.  I'm watching Midwest Outdoors videos and all these guys are using "inline setups".  Are these inline reels awesome? Or are they just a fad?  Any input is greatly appreciated.  If this is the new wave of ice fishing who makes a good product?  Thank you in advance for any advice.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
Re: Best Reel for the Ice
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2017, 03:49 PM »
Not a fad.  They are just an advanced version of an old schooly reel with a better drag and free spool option for letting your lure down the hole.  Lots of choices some will cost you close to 100 .  I have 9 of the eagle claw brand and use them on neaely all my rods.  They greatly reduce line twist and lure spin which can make a difference in a looker vs a biter.

Offline boz96

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2017, 04:09 PM »
Thank you Sir.  Getting rid of line twist with really light jigs would be awesome.  The Eagle Claws are exactly what I'm looking at.  Amazon has lots of bad reviews, but people don't typically take the time to write a review when they are happy with a product. Thanks again

Offline Hole-hopper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2017, 05:24 PM »
I have been using an eagle claw for the past 4 years. I use this reel 90% of the time. I keep thinking I will upgrade to a better inline but the reel works really good for my style of fishing and it's reasonably priced.

Offline boz96

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2017, 05:54 PM »
Thank you Hole-hopper for the reply.  I ordered an Eagle claw "cold smoke" combo, as well as a Fiblink reel to put on a spare rod I have.  Ice fishing gear is thin pickins right now of course, not much in stock.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2017, 05:57 PM »
Thank you Sir.  Getting rid of line twist with really light jigs would be awesome.  The Eagle Claws are exactly what I'm looking at.  Amazon has lots of bad reviews, but people don't typically take the time to write a review when they are happy with a product. Thanks again

I tore all 9 of my eagle claws apart and lubed and greased them properly.  The difference between one to another right of the package and how they were factory lubed was significant.  I also added a second washer under the star drag that allows me to fish with 1 lb line or thread and properly set the drag where it will not loosen further.  With that said I can see how some may give a bad review, but mine have worked great for 3 years now and caught hundreds of fish.

Offline boz96

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2017, 06:41 PM »
Thank you wax_worm.  I will take your advice and tear these babies down when I receive them and lube 'em up.  I fish with 2lb test, would you suggest the extra washer under the drag knob for this line weight as well?

Offline Fishking83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2017, 07:46 PM »
I prefer either the inline reels or the old school Slater's reels for my rods with sewing thread.  I cant deal with the coils anymore of spinning reels on the ice.  I tried one again today and even with a 4mm tungsten jig and only 2 lb test line I had major issues with coiling.  Inline reels help you keep a straight line without coils and it's much easier to detect bites IMO.

Offline boz96

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2017, 08:34 PM »
I am excited about no more line twist and a freespool option.  I also bought the last 4 tungsten ice flies my local Wally world had last night.  This wasn't a thing last time I was on the ice, but then again my FL8-SE was cutting edge.  Actually I remember a time when I would clip a giant orange lead weight to my line to find bottom then attach a bobber at just the right depth and hope for the best.

Offline Den58

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2017, 08:39 PM »
I have an Eagle claw also like the reel but as far as taking away line twist was at the slough today saw my jig and it was spinning and spinning

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2017, 08:55 PM »
Thank you wax_worm.  I will take your advice and tear these babies down when I receive them and lube 'em up.  I fish with 2lb test, would you suggest the extra washer under the drag knob for this line weight as well?

Yes the extra washer doesn't hurt with any line, big or small.

I assume you know a bit of grease and drop of oil go a long way in fishing reels.  Over oiling or over greasing is just as bad or worse than too little.  I use quantum hot sauce for the oil and Shimano reel grease.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 08, 2017, 08:59 PM »
I have an Eagle claw also like the reel but as far as taking away line twist was at the slough today saw my jig and it was spinning and spinning

That spinning is not from the reel.  It is either spinning when u are lowering it or reeling it in with no fish on due to lure type or the way your bait is on the hook.

Offline Den58

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 08, 2017, 09:01 PM »
Oh ok thanks for the info

Offline icehunter43

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 08, 2017, 09:32 PM »
Black Betty 6061 inline reel hands down best ice reel ever made.
People say ice fishing is crazy, I call it therapy.

Offline Fishslayer81

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 08, 2017, 09:37 PM »
Just a heads up, Fish USA has the 6061 on sale for 67.99 shipped.

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 09, 2017, 06:58 AM »
Get an inline and try it, and see if you like it.  I have a couple and it's kinda a love/hate relationship.  Somedays I love them other days i'm fed up with them.  i have a couple of eagle claws as well as black bettys.  Last night fishing I was fighting with the ice building up around the bail and the lip of the spool on my spinning real.  I went to my inline rod to get away from that.  But one of my biggest beef's with the inline is when fishing with a pencil grip, it's tough to turn the rod around into a normal holding position once i've hooked a fish.  I feel like if I continue to reel up the fish in a pencil grip, my right hand gets in the way of the spool.  I will say the handle on that particular pole is a bit short and maybe that would would help me out. 

Offline Fishslayer81

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 09, 2017, 09:55 AM »
New 6061 is redesigned so you can pencil grip and not hit the spool with hand.  ;)

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 09, 2017, 05:23 PM »
I may have to try that out slayer.  Does it have a longer stand off?

Offline dsqui

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 09, 2017, 06:41 PM »
The frabil 371 u can't touch the spool on with out actually trying u may look into them as well

Offline boz96

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 13, 2017, 07:35 PM »
Thank you Fellas for all the replies.  I know this is a few years late and a dollar short, but I have received my eagle claw and my fiblink reels.  They have been torn down and cleaned/re-greased.  Do Ineed to put some kind of backing on these things when spooling, the eagle claw says it holds 270yds of 2lb?  I am using 2lb trilene ice.  If I need 270 yds of 2lb on my ice rig in Northern Indiana I need a bigger boat. Any input or inline reel rookie hazing is greatly appreciated.  I need to hit the ice in the morning!

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 13, 2017, 07:41 PM »
I put cheap Walmart Omni flex 4lb on as backing then put 50 yds max of 2 lb or lighter line.

Offline boz96

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 13, 2017, 07:51 PM »
wax_worm you are the man Sir.  I learned alot from you when I joined in '07 and you are still the go to guy!  Thank you!  Now did you do the math per crank to know exactly how much you were putting on or just eyeball it? At the base of the spool I think its 15.75" of line per crank.  I guess if I want to get crazy I could run the line through my Okuma line counter reels prior to spooling.  Thank you again Sir

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 13, 2017, 08:00 PM »
wax_worm you are the man Sir.  I learned alot from you when I joined in '07 and you are still the go to guy!  Thank you!  Now did you do the math per crank to know exactly how much you were putting on or just eyeball it? At the base of the spool I think its 15.75" of line per crank.  I guess if I want to get crazy I could run the line through my Okuma line counter reels prior to spooling.  Thank you again Sir

No math here.  You are not casting so my inlines are never full to the max.   I just estimate it at about 110-120 turns of the handle for 50 yds of the ligjeter line.  With the 2lb or lighter that I am fishing with I just want enough on there that if I break off in 30 ft of water I still have plenty left before getting to the backing.   I change the lighter line out during the season if I have used that rod a lot, broke off a large chunk of line or feel it has been compromised after hooking a big bass or pike. 

Offline boz96

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 13, 2017, 08:10 PM »
No math here.  You are not casting so my inlines are never full to the max.   I just estimate it at about 110-120 turns of the handle for 50 yds of the ligjeter line.  With the 2lb or lighter that I am fishing with I just want enough on there that if I break off in 30 ft of water I still have plenty left before getting to the backing.   I change the lighter line out during the season if I have used that rod a lot, broke off a large chunk of line or feel it has been compromised after hooking a big bass or pike.
Okay one more question Sir and I will quit bothering you.  What knot do you use to attach your backing to your mainline?

Offline Eye_Crosser86

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 13, 2017, 08:17 PM »
Bloodknot, i know it wasnt for me but thats what i use

Offline boz96

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 13, 2017, 08:22 PM »
Bloodknot, i know it wasnt for me but thats what i use
Exactly what I thought too, just wanted reinforcement.  Thank you Sir for your reply

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 13, 2017, 08:30 PM »
Blood, double uni, Albright, or Alberto knot will all work.  Normally on panfish you won't get to the backing but in case you hook a catfish , large bass or pike and they make a long run your knot becomes important.

Offline boz96

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 13, 2017, 08:48 PM »
I tend to take my knots seriously no matter where they are in the line, Once again Thank you wax_worm.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.