The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: auger question  (Read 1839 times)

Offline R.S.

• Team IceShanty Regular
auger question
« on: Jan 07, 2017, 11:01 AM »
someone gave me a black strikemaster auger.  it doesnt have blades and he didnt know what size it was. my question is, how do i tell if its a 5 or 6 inch?  can i measure the bolt holes or the mounting area somehow?

thx

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: auger question
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2017, 11:14 AM »
i would take it to a shop like gander mountain and ask them to set it up for you. the new blades come with new bolts.

Offline Reb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • PLEEAASSE FREEZE !!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2017, 11:21 AM »
Just measure across the auger. Theyre ussually about a half inch less then the true blade wigth.

Offline R.S.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2017, 11:23 AM »
i think id trust the members here before the staff there. lol

thank you reb ill see about that.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2017, 12:24 PM »
Might want to add your location to profile ...could be a local  Bait/tackle shop that could hook you up

Sounds like you have a SM Lazer...make sure you install them properly

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2017, 12:48 PM »
I have a black Strikemaster Lazer 5" auger. Measure across the bottom of the auger where the blades are mounted. That will tell you what size blades you need.

Offline caldwellite

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2017, 04:28 PM »
Just measured my 6 inch lazer . It was 6 inches across and the blades are even with the auger. Some of my older augers have the auger narrower,with the blades 1/4 inch wider on each side. I have an older black auger that has straight blades, not curved.  Not sure of the brand. Fish 307 on the site here sells blades and are really helpful on the 800 phone number.

Offline R.S.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2017, 03:45 PM »
ok back to this problem.  im pretty sure its a 6" lazer.  the sticker on the shaft says strikmaster/mora and the handle is either screwed in or welded to the bottom.  there is no bolt or pin on it. the other odd thing is the blade curve. my moras are flat under the blades.  this one is curved a bit but doesnt look like its curved as much as most. maybe the blades are curved more than the mounting area?  are there old and new style lazer blades?  i just want to make sure im ordering the correct blades for this thing because they cost so much.  i am assuming its just a really old lazer because of the nonadjustable handle and the slight curve at blade mounting area.

thanks again guys. 

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2017, 03:50 PM »
ok back to this problem.  im pretty sure its a 6" lazer.  the sticker on the shaft says strikmaster/mora and the handle is either screwed in or welded to the bottom.  there is no bolt or pin on it. the other odd thing is the blade curve. my moras are flat under the blades.  this one is curved a bit but doesnt look like its curved as much as most. maybe the blades are curved more than the mounting area?  are there old and new style lazer blades?  i just want to make sure im ordering the correct blades for this thing because they cost so much.  i am assuming its just a really old lazer because of the nonadjustable handle and the slight curve at blade mounting area.

thanks again guys.

Should add your location to your profile ...may be a retailer ...bait/tackle shop in your area that an IS member can lead you  to and give a heads up on what you have ...w/o pictures going to be tough to nail down what you have.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2017, 10:59 PM »
just buy what you think fits it. if it doesn't fit, walk back in, exchange them and try again if you don't want to ask for help at the store.

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2017, 04:56 PM »
You could always call Strikemaster Customer Service and talk to them.

Offline Hardwater Problem

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2017, 12:10 PM »
Just take it with you to a local bait shop or outdoor retailer.  They see it all the time, and you can fit it properly in the store without challenging their return policies.
IF YOU CAN'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, GO GET IN FRONT OF THEM!!!     

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 30, 2017, 06:17 PM »
Posting some pics would also help people guide you.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 30, 2017, 06:47 PM »
someone gave me a black strikemaster auger.  it doesnt have blades and he didnt know what size it was. my question is, how do i tell if its a 5 or 6 inch?  can i measure the bolt holes or the mounting area somehow?

thx

yes 1 inch is 5 inch curved blade   and 1 5/16  inch is 6 inch curved blade

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.