Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Sharpening Auger Blades  (Read 3894 times)

Offline ice-pro

• IceShanty Rookie
Sharpening Auger Blades
« on: Jan 06, 2017, 06:31 PM »
So I think I've recently ran my auger into some sand or something of the sorts because it will not drill now. It's a 6 inch eskimo hand auger. Is there anything I can do at home to make it work again? I've never needed to sharpen or change my auger blades before. I have a gas auger for the weekend but would like to get mine working again. Thanks

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Sharpening Auger Blades
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2017, 06:54 PM »

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2017, 08:29 PM »
You can touch them up easily at home, but if they are that far gone then you are better off sending them in to be sharpened by a professional or just replaced.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline ice-pro

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2017, 09:57 PM »
You can touch them up easily at home, but if they are that far gone then you are better off sending them in to be sharpened by a professional or just replaced.

Well it will shave a thin layer off the top and then just walk across the ice. The blades still feel sharp as they still catch on my jersey gloves

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2017, 10:35 PM »
Well it will shave a thin layer off the top and then just walk across the ice. The blades still feel sharp as they still catch on my jersey gloves

Please for give me, but it sounds as if they might have been removed and put back on incorrectly. Don't ask me how I would know this. :whistle:

Also in the Auger section of the Equipment forum, there is a step by step tutorial, with pictures, on how to sharpen auger blades.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2017, 08:33 AM »

Sounds like you damaged them, not dulled them.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2017, 09:47 AM »
Please for give me, but it sounds as if they might have been removed and put back on incorrectly. Don't ask me how I would know this. :whistle:

Also in the Auger section of the Equipment forum, there is a step by step tutorial, with pictures, on how to sharpen auger blades.
also the angle of the cutting edge may be off
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline Bates

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2017, 10:27 AM »
Ice blades can be very touchy, I'd recommend buying a new set and getting the old set professionally sharpened. Don't go to just someone who says they can sharpen them, see if Eskimo does it.

Offline DavidA

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2017, 03:40 PM »
I agree....sounds like it's time to replace those old blades.  As someone suggested I would give Eskimo a call and see if they offer a sharpening service.  I have tried to find local people that would do my Lazer blades but they did not get the blade angle right and wasted my time and money.  I usually replace my blades start of every season.  Good luck
Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination.  Samuel Clemens

Offline PhishinFil

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2017, 10:43 PM »
I put a DeWalt grinder with a soft metal blade lightly across the top side of my strike master and it cuts ice like a champ! Just the top!

Offline PanFisher85

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2017, 11:17 PM »
Would a plain ***** file at the correct angle to bring it back? Thats what i would try first... Take the blades off put em in a vice or hold em and sharpen at the same original factory angle shouldnt have to remove much metal if they are in decent shape. If that doesnt work i would just buy new blades maybe you will get lucky and notice in the process of sharpening them if some thing else is the problem like some thing bent loose etc give it a good look over. Good luck let us know your results. ???

Offline silverado23

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2017, 02:03 PM »

The tutorial and a diamond stone revived some blades for a jiffy hand auger that I revived.   The blades started out rusty chipped and dull. Barely could tell that they were even blades.  Could not find replacement parts so I gave the sharpening tutorial a try. This auger is now my first choice.

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2017, 10:31 PM »
All I've ever been able to do when trying to sharpen them is really screw them up.  Get a new set and try to find a sharpening service for the old ones.

Offline Santa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 10, 2017, 02:25 PM »
If this is on a gas auger, I suggest buying a chipper blade. A shaving blade will really get trashed if you get into sand. Chipper will not pull
through the ice like a shaver but will last a lot longer.

Offline RGR175

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 14, 2017, 10:21 PM »
My auger last weekend was bad. About 60 seconds to get through 8 inches of ice. I used the dremel buffing wheel and chrome polish method and it's cutting through ice like butter again. I think it got banged against something because I could feel a metal lip/curl on the bottom of the blades. I used a honing stone and just a few very gentle passes to knock this curl off, and by a few I mean like 3 or 4. You want to be careful to not change the angle on the bottom of the blade.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.