Author Topic: Best deep fryer  (Read 4495 times)

Offline ridgerunner

• Team IceShanty Regular
Best deep fryer
« on: Jan 06, 2017, 06:55 AM »
Ok, I have always fried my fish in a cast iron Dutch oven on the burner of my gas grill. I want to get an electric deep fryer. What brand do you guys use? Should I get the Wally World inexpensive fry Daddy or is worth investing into something more expensive?

Offline JSONICE

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Best deep fryer
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2017, 09:00 AM »
I bought a Presto unit at Target last year, when I opened the box there was a note it in that said the unit was made from components that can cause cancer.

If this was something that I didn't cook food in and EAT, I probably wouldn't have minded, but I returned it.

I would go for a decent unit, and do some research to see what components the thing is made from, which I didn't do.. Post back when you find out as I never bought another one, but may in the future.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2017, 06:22 PM »
I bought a Presto unit at Target last year, when I opened the box there was a note it in that said the unit was made from components that can cause cancer.

I'll address this first. Thank California for that. Geez, every item of fishing tackle you buy has the same warning because of Cali and lead. Just sayin'.

Next, to the OP. I was looking at a dedicated deep fryer but I hate, hate, hate (did you get that?) one trick ponies. I wound up with a Presto (yep, the cancer causing cesspool), Kitchen Kettle. It will steam, slow cook, keep warm deep fry, well, you name it.

As a fryer it holds almost 2 liters of oil and I can do 4 - 5 cod lions max. This is not a tool for frying a lot of fish for big big groups but it works very well for 2 - 4 people's worth.

Plus it does other stuff.  :thumbsup:
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Ramp 23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2017, 07:39 PM »
I have a Cabelas 3 liter deep fryer, its really been great, lots of use , works like new.

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2017, 07:48 PM »
I use the big double basket presto. It comes with two twin size baskets and one jumbo basket. For me it is perfect. If I'm cooking for two there is enough room in each basket to cook your fish and potatoe side at the same time. If I'm cooking for a crowd, I do a pile of potatoes and then fish second. The fries ( or what ever your taste) will still be warm as the fish cooks quickly.

Offline ADKer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2017, 09:02 AM »
Anyone use air fryers on fish?
"I got a shotgun, rifle & a 4-wheel drive. A Country Boy can survive."
Hank Williams Jr.

Offline Ranger619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2017, 09:43 AM »
Google the Bayou Classic it's the best deep frier I've seen or used yet for larger quantities of fish. Well made and worth every penny. For just two of you the original Fry Daddy is real good it's the fastest at recapturing it's heat level I think for a small inexpensive frier.
Fish as much as you can we're not here forever!

Otter Cottage Pro X Over
Marcum LX9 LX7 LX3
Thorne Bros,G Austin & TUCR Rods
Striker Lite Flite Milwaukee Fuel M18

Suzuki 750 King Quad W/Otter Monster Box

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2017, 07:24 PM »
X2 on the fry daddy.  have cooked literally thousands and thousands of fish in it as it was my grandmas when i was a kid and now it is in my possession.  just plug it in and go.  i have 5 people in my family my wife and 3 kids and usually cook 25 to 30 fillets for a meal and has no problem getting the job done quickly.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2017, 07:27 PM »
yup fry daddy. use a splatter screen on top.

Offline fishfighter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2017, 01:31 AM »
Anyone use air fryers on fish?
I just got one for Xmas and was wondering the same thing, any recipes out there that you guys have tried?  Thanx, FF
Mark it 8 dude

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2017, 09:56 AM »
I am sticking with my cast iron dutch on the outdoor two burner propane camp stove.  I have another meal maker deep fryer that will do a whole chicken but takes a whole bottle of oil.  So I just cook a couple of batches and will stay with dutch oven.

Offline Snakehunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2017, 06:37 PM »
I bought a T-Fal Smart Fryer last year in the family size. Does a great job on chicken wings and french fries but the rotating paddle beats the crap out of fish fillets. I still use my big stove-top fish fryer with two-handed basket because I find it the best way to deep fry.

Offline jmattperkins

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 17, 2017, 08:19 PM »
The Best Deep Fryer I have used is the Cajun Fryer built in Homer, La.  The key is the heat element that runs through oil is in the center so cooler oil drops to bottom with loose batter so oil doesn't get burnt taste as quick.  They are pretty pricey though.

Offline Ranger619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 18, 2017, 07:05 AM »
The Best Deep Fryer I have used is the Cajun Fryer built in Homer, La.  The key is the heat element that runs through oil is in the center so cooler oil drops to bottom with loose batter so oil doesn't get burnt taste as quick.  They are pretty pricey though.

Sounds like my Bayou Classic design and yes they're around 275.00 on Amazon but when I have our family fish fries and there's over 50 people it's the only way to go. The thing will never wear out !
Fish as much as you can we're not here forever!

Otter Cottage Pro X Over
Marcum LX9 LX7 LX3
Thorne Bros,G Austin & TUCR Rods
Striker Lite Flite Milwaukee Fuel M18

Suzuki 750 King Quad W/Otter Monster Box

Offline Overcast77

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 31, 2017, 10:49 AM »
I just bought the T-Fal EZ-Clean Compact from WallyWorld.

I LOVE the automatic oil drain/filter feature. It drains slow, but works great.

I do wish it had a higher temp setting, though. It only goes to 374F (190C), though. It probably doesn't go higher due to the different burning temps of different oils -- and thus is a fire-prevention feature.

It cost around $70 or so so it does not break the bank.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #15 on: Feb 02, 2017, 06:58 PM »
Cast iron dutch oven. Good enough for Granma good enough for me! If I do a big fry I use the propane burner out side.
Keep it safe! JDL

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.