Author Topic: Tip up selections  (Read 20001 times)

Offline mcarey97

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Tip up selections
« Reply #30 on: Jan 06, 2017, 12:27 PM »
never had a polar freeze or give me a problem,im exclusive to them, here is my issue with any sort of high flyer tip up such as the "heritage laker"...
if a fish wants to peel off line in a direction not properly oriented with the spool, that is going to create an awkward resistance with the line and the spool. (depending on what kinda fish u are after, this may or may not be an issue) where as the polar has a guide that swivels 360* to accommodate...i dont own a heritage, but i do own other styles of high flyers, and wind trips can become an issue,  i have never seen a polar wind trip.  just my opinion on this

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #31 on: Jan 06, 2017, 12:40 PM »
but i do own other styles of high flyers, and wind trips can become an issue,

I don't tipup fish a ton, but the first time I was shown how to set up a tipup, I was told to make sure the wind "blows the flag back on" in terms of how the tipup is oriented with the wind.   I've never had a problem with wind flags.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Jan 06, 2017, 01:10 PM »
Where I fish we get swirling winds so where you place it in comparison to the wind changes constantly. I like the Polars as well
for the exact reason as well. I have had a big pike rip line out fast and the line gets wrapped around the reel on the stick type. You also have to be really careful putting them down as the leaders may get wrapped during the putting down process.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Jan 06, 2017, 01:12 PM »
I guess my main point was that when you pay good money for any ice fishing equipment you should expect to be able to use them the way they are and not have to make changes to them to work properly. There has been this complaints on Lakers for as long as I can remember.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline fishbone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 06, 2017, 01:50 PM »
check out the jack traps---big bob---biggest tipup on earth

Offline mcarey97

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 06, 2017, 02:49 PM »
I don't tipup fish a ton, but the first time I was shown how to set up a tipup, I was told to make sure the wind "blows the flag back on" in terms of how the tipup is oriented with the wind.   I've never had a problem with wind flags.
yep, i agree 100% always set them that way from day 1.   just so many more pros to the polar     

Offline ridgerunner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 06, 2017, 04:54 PM »
Arctic fires for small pond and lake fishing, Polars orange ones I think they have the large 500 ft metal spools for Lake George. Never had a problem with freezing up but I do take the shafts out and lube them every year. I like seeing the top tee spinning to know when the fish is running

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #37 on: Jan 06, 2017, 05:02 PM »
I have Heritages and I have been very satisfied!

"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Booker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and Release
« Reply #38 on: Jan 06, 2017, 05:47 PM »
Most of the guys I fish with use Heritage Lakers, including myself. We have all had them for several years.

Offline ridgerunner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 06, 2017, 06:29 PM »
I've got one lake I use for setting up for pike ,lakers or a salmon but I always thought that they were too heavy to trip for light bighters like perch and crappie. No doubt they are nice tip  ups though

Offline coldfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Jan 06, 2017, 06:34 PM »
Heritage lakers and jack traps.

Offline pikie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 06, 2017, 08:11 PM »
40 ups with the bar, not the hook are my favorite.  I've had polars, round frabils, beaver dams all fail on me.  I still use a lot of old school fish crafters too.

Offline Fish-N-Adventures

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish on!
« Reply #42 on: Jan 06, 2017, 08:23 PM »
40 ups with the bar, not the hook are my favorite.  I've had polars, round frabils, beaver dams all fail on me.  I still use a lot of old school fish crafters too.
totally  ;D

Offline thor94

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 06, 2017, 08:36 PM »
Gotta go with the fish crafters. I've got a set for everything that swims. Been collecting for a few years now and have 35 rigged up in various ways. Gotta be prepared!!!

A fellow fishcrafters nut.  I love it.   Same here, been collecting them for years.  Everytime I see some for sale, I buy them.  Have about 30 myself and rigged all different ways. 

Offline Fish-N-Adventures

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish on!
« Reply #44 on: Jan 06, 2017, 08:43 PM »
I love my green Hi-flag/40 up "Green ones", but they have to have the correct flag trap on them.
You want the ones where the flag is set to a hook off the tipup and not the ones where the flag sets to the metal arm. Because that metal arm can get bent and not allow the flap to trigger when the spool spins and hits it.

Offline Kanerock

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Jan 06, 2017, 11:33 PM »
jacktraps

Offline alfed

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Jan 07, 2017, 08:29 AM »
I dont know? My 40 years old Original Tall Boys have done a fine job all these years! Shortly after buying them for less than 5 bucks each, I got spooled a few times fishing for lakers deep. My local Mom and pop bait shop had big spool conversion kits, for about 4 bucks. They have worked flawlessly since. with over a hundred yards of backer on my spools. The spool tension can be adjusted for big baits, or small baits. Yep Ive replaced a few flags and have put a couple coats of paint on them over the years but they are still in great shape, and are up to the task. Cant beat cheap and simple! :tipup:
"Can't catch'em if you are on the couch!"

Offline moose66

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Kids who hunt and fish don't mug old ladies
« Reply #47 on: Jan 07, 2017, 08:54 AM »
I use Heritage Lakers and could not be happier with them. Pretty much the 10 or 12 guys i fish with all use them as well.
Lifes a garden...dig it

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #48 on: Jan 07, 2017, 09:11 AM »
I have wide assortment but i use my Frabil discs and beaver dams the most
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline Hess

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Jan 07, 2017, 09:39 AM »
HT Polars, hands down -- being able to see the top 'T' spinning whenever the reel is turning before you even get to the tip-up is a huge advantage in my book...!!

Offline TheWasp74

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish On!
« Reply #50 on: Jan 11, 2017, 09:36 AM »
Totally agree with Hess. I have HT Polars and being able to see the fish running is great.  Looking for some new wooden tip ups that have the same type of setup

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #51 on: Jan 11, 2017, 09:39 AM »
40 ups with the bar, not the hook are my favorite.  I've had polars, round frabils, beaver dams all fail on me.

Glad I'm not the only one

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Jan 11, 2017, 10:26 AM »
Totally agree with Hess. I have HT Polars and being able to see the fish running is great.  Looking for some new wooden tip ups that have the same type of setup

Just got ht's "deluxe" polar. Nice wooden tipup. BeaverDam knock off at half the price. Will get more
Beer will get you through times of no ice better than ice will get you through times of no beer...

Offline Captain Chunk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Jan 11, 2017, 11:33 AM »
Anyone make their own?

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Jan 11, 2017, 12:44 PM »
pikie- I have to ask. How did the Beaver Dam tip up fail you? I have had mine for over 35 years and they have never, not once, as in never ever fail me.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline Black_Hawk70

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Jan 11, 2017, 12:49 PM »
Jack Traps

There isn't a better trap on the market.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #56 on: Jan 11, 2017, 01:09 PM »
pikie- I have to ask. How did the Beaver Dam tip up fail you? I have had mine for over 35 years and they have never, not once, as in never ever fail me.

Mine randomly started freezing up so that the shaft wouldn't turn.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Jan 11, 2017, 02:00 PM »
any of you guys that use the polars and beaverdams,  all mine eventually get water in the shaft and start freezing up when its cold out.   Had this happen with original beaverdams, ht polars and ht polar therms.   I've since swore off any of the submerged shaft tipups completely off because of this.

these are sealed shafts they can't take on water

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #58 on: Jan 11, 2017, 02:18 PM »
these are sealed shafts they can't take on water

Then how come the shafts wont turn after being in the water for a few hours, only on below freezing days?   and how come this only happens on submerged shaft tipups?    A few people on this thread have already said that it is expected that you have to change the grease every year... :sick:

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Jan 11, 2017, 02:24 PM »
most likely the solder joint has been breached somehow. Most BD never need to change grease ever. The makers of the BD worked about 60 years on just the grease they put in them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.