Author Topic: Tip up selections  (Read 20003 times)

Offline ShantySl

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish on baby!!
Tip up selections
« on: Jan 05, 2017, 10:16 PM »
what do you guys use for tip ups or prefer? im using my great grand fathers tip ups and they have about had it so looking to buy new ones

Offline bushyjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag
Re: Tip up selections
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2017, 11:05 PM »
Used heritage Lakers for 15 years then tried automatic fisherman and then switched over to all them they work great and fun to fight pike in on small rod
Just enjoying life

Offline Fish-N-Adventures

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish on!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2017, 11:12 PM »
I love my green Hi-flyers, but they have to have the correct flag trap on them.
You want the ones where the flag is set to a hook off the tipup and not the ones where the flag sets to the metal arm. Because that metal arm can get bent and not allow the flap to trigger when the spool spins and hits it.

Offline grubberfishhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Adirondack Icefishing Adventures
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2017, 11:17 PM »
Worked at a fishing shop used alot of brands and the best is the Frabill insulated round tip up. stores small easily stack 7-8 in a bucket...has multiple settings for trigger pressure from strong for big bait- to light as a feather trigger pressure... hole never freezes (without buying extra hole covers), no light penetrates the hole so it doesn't spook fish, it has attachments for lights. They are the only ones I ever use anymore. Only time i take out my heritage tip-ups anymore (which i have a whole set) is on Nice days (Sunny no wind).
knowledge-"don't hide it divide it"

Offline Tanimal85

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2017, 11:20 PM »
I swear by my Heritage Laker tip ups.  I've used a lot of different tip ups over the years and they are by far the best I've used.  I recently purchased and IFishPro and I'm anxious to try that out.
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day.  Teach a man to ice fish and he'll sit on the ice and drink beer all weekend.

Offline grubberfishhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Adirondack Icefishing Adventures
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2017, 11:23 PM »
I fish pros are fun to fish with i just dont like them blowing away when there is no snow. I agree the heritage are the best for quality make but they rule in big deep long distance situations. My vote is still Frabill insulated when you don't have to spread out over 100' FOW.
knowledge-"don't hide it divide it"

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2017, 11:59 PM »
Simple HT Polars. I still use my grandfathers and theyre still catching fish. Plenty of parts available if you want to repair/customize them. Really like being able to see the top spin from a distance vs the heritage style.  Personal preference
Beer will get you through times of no ice better than ice will get you through times of no beer...

Offline bgaffney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2017, 03:38 AM »
Jack Traps

Offline ADKer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2017, 04:08 AM »
I swear by my Heritage Laker tip ups.  I've used a lot of different tip ups over the years and they are by far the best I've used.  I recently purchased and IFishPro and I'm anxious to try that out.

I presently also use the Lakers. And I'm also looking at the IFishPro (just to try something different). Would you please post back on how you like/dislike the IFishPro?
"I got a shotgun, rifle & a 4-wheel drive. A Country Boy can survive."
Hank Williams Jr.

Offline mcarey97

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2017, 04:10 AM »
polars

Offline trimmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2017, 04:35 AM »
I'm a fan of the heritage lakers!!  Almost never get wind flags and are easily seen from a distance.

Offline Adkslabslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2017, 04:43 AM »
Simple HT Polars. I still use my grandfathers and theyre still catching fish. Plenty of parts available if you want to repair/customize them. Really like being able to see the top spin from a distance vs the heritage style.  Personal preference
just like adkrs said ht Polaris here too well priced too

Offline addicted to ice fishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Feeding my addiction one lake at a time
« Reply #12 on: Jan 06, 2017, 04:45 AM »
Beaver Dams,  I have some that are over 30 years old, and they work as good today as the day that I bought them. High quality and low maintenance.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 06, 2017, 05:08 AM »
HT original polars.

Lasts just as long as any BD, just as durable, handles the same fish, and is much more affordable.

Not considering round tip-ups, polars and BD seem to be the top 2 choices. Comes down to personal preference and budget. Both will get the job done just as well as the other. I've never been a fan of round tip-ups.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #14 on: Jan 06, 2017, 07:02 AM »
HT original polars.

Lasts just as long as any BD, just as durable, handles the same fish, and is much more affordable.

Not considering round tip-ups, polars and BD seem to be the top 2 choices. Comes down to personal preference and budget. Both will get the job done just as well as the other. I've never been a fan of round tip-ups.
2x the polars, when i use tip ups
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline FishnChef

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 06, 2017, 07:32 AM »
you can see that there is a fish on the heritage's from a distance... if you accidentally leave the drag set way too tight and the tip up starts rocking Around in the hole ;) ;D   no but seriously I love my Heritage Lakers after trying a lot of other tip ups

Offline sjord89

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • get reel
« Reply #16 on: Jan 06, 2017, 07:39 AM »
Question for the polar and disc users... what do you do if there's a foot and a half or two of snow on the ice? Can't you not even see those flags? I use the green 40 ups for that reason bc I still fish when there's snow. I really like the features of the polars and the discs but so far the snow factor has kept me from buying.
If you drill it, they will come...

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 06, 2017, 08:02 AM »
I have many different traps from the grandpas old wooden with a nail that host the spool on , flat disc style, flat beverdam, and high stick wooden lakers.
The 2 things I dislike about the flat style is 1. Winding the line back up on the spools, I can never seem to keep tension and the line gets sloppy . 2. Sight in deep.snow.
I use these tip ups for shallower water ( 20' or less )

The laker traps are good for deep water .
2 dislikes on them are
1. They are big and heavy as well as pricy
2. I have had them not always trip and have had to do some tweaking.

There are pros and cons to both styles so you have to choose what type of fishing you will do most and your price point.

Offline lil_coondog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 06, 2017, 08:02 AM »
 Jack Traps and polars

"Wildlife and its habitat cannot speak, so we must and we will."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Offline carpface

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 06, 2017, 08:25 AM »
Jack traps, very east to adjust.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #20 on: Jan 06, 2017, 08:32 AM »
any of you guys that use the polars and beaverdams,  all mine eventually get water in the shaft and start freezing up when its cold out.   Had this happen with original beaverdams, ht polars and ht polar therms.   I've since swore off any of the submerged shaft tipups completely off because of this.   

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 06, 2017, 08:34 AM »
you can see that there is a fish on the heritage's from a distance... if you accidentally leave the drag set way too tight and the tip up starts rocking Around in the hole ;) ;D   no but seriously I love my Heritage Lakers after trying a lot of other tip ups

Shhhh people are going to start asking what was on the other end  ;)
Beer will get you through times of no ice better than ice will get you through times of no beer...

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 06, 2017, 08:35 AM »
Question for the polar and disc users... what do you do if there's a foot and a half or two of snow on the ice? Can't you not even see those flags? I use the green 40 ups for that reason bc I still fish when there's snow. I really like the features of the polars and the discs but so far the snow factor has kept me from buying.

It's still easy to see the flag when they go off, they also make extendable flags for 3$ if you live in tug hill and get 46ft of snow a year

Offline builtright716

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 06, 2017, 08:37 AM »
any of you guys that use the polars and beaverdams,  all mine eventually get water in the shaft and start freezing up when its cold out.   Had this happen with original beaverdams, ht polars and ht polar therms.   I've since swore off any of the submerged shaft tipups completely off because of this.

It's all about how you take care of them. Take the shaft apart, clean, and refill with subzero lubricant and you will have the most sensitive, free spooling rigs out there. I use Frabill Arctic Fires with hole covers. I regrease them every two years or as needed

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 06, 2017, 08:41 AM »

Never had that happen (yet). Lube mine at the start of the year every year.  The spring on top of the shaft keeps tension in the shaft so everything stays buttoned up. Perhaps that got loose? Just tightened one of mine down last night.

Offline ditchrunner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 06, 2017, 08:50 AM »
Gotta go with the fish crafters. I've got a set for everything that swims. Been collecting for a few years now and have 35 rigged up in various ways. Gotta be prepared!!!

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 06, 2017, 10:46 AM »
Many people like the Lakers. I am an ice fishing addict and have or have owned every type of tip-up I could find. The Laker is a good tip-up with some tweaking. The real question is should you have to tweak some of the more expensive top end tip-ups to make them work well? Once I bought a set of Indian Hills, I sold my Lakers. They fish great out of the box and no need to "tweak" anything. JMO
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline FLAGGGG1114

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 06, 2017, 10:56 AM »
Heritage Lakers are the way to go.  They sit nice and tall so you can see them from a distance.  They are well built and durable.  With their design you hardly ever get a wind flag.  Worth the $$$.   :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline Neil McCauley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 06, 2017, 11:00 AM »
I use tip ups kind of just as experiments while I focus on jigging so I scatter them pretty far apart, might leave them for a long time if they don't get bit. It helps to have a tall flag with some motion to it so they can be seen from far away. Also something that is easy to chip out of the ice without breaking if it gets frozen in. The Laker style has worked well for this. To keep the holes open longer this year I plan on cutting discs out of a black rubber mat and putting them around the bases.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #29 on: Jan 06, 2017, 12:00 PM »
The real question is should you have to tweak some of the more expensive top end tip-ups to make them work well?

Exactly.   I am still using my dad's 40 ups that he got when he started ice fishing back in 1974.   Never had a problem, still trip smooth as glass.  Don't have to worry about greasing some shaft or having it freeze up on you on a cold day and missing that potentially special fish.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.