Author Topic: Leader  (Read 2517 times)

Offline PikeChaser198

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Let it run, it can't get out of the pond
Leader
« on: Jan 05, 2017, 08:19 PM »
Last year I used the coated steel leader for pike, but this year I would like to target bass at the same time. MY question is would 20 ib PLine Fluro be sufficient for a pike if we happen to run into one fishing bass?
Ebensburg Fishing & Hunting
3657 Admiral Peary HWY
Ebensburg, PA
(814) 472-5980 / Facebook & Instagram

Clete's Taxidermy Studio
(814) 471-4898 / Facebook & Instagram

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
Re: Leader
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2017, 07:30 PM »
I use 30lb Pline for pike lol..
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2017, 07:34 PM »
Last year I used the coated steel leader for pike, but this year I would like to target bass at the same time. MY question is would 20 ib PLine Fluro be sufficient for a pike if we happen to run into one fishing bass?

Depends........
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline mvanhank222

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2017, 02:56 PM »
#20 Floro will work but get leader material not just Floro mainline circle hooks will also help as they usually end up in the corner of the mouth where they can't be bitten off as easily. Did i mention get actual Floro leader material. The circle hook is basically a no go for walleye though in my book as they usually sit with the bait and don't swim away from you very quickly. Did I mention ger actual leader material P-Line CFX or Shinsei or Seaguar Blue Label, Fluoro Premier, Pink Label or Red Label leader some of the Seaguar have a mainline counterpart make sure to get the leader usually 25, 30 or 50 yard spools. also remember to wet the knot before tightening down.

Offline Open-Handed Fish Slap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2017, 07:44 AM »
20lb. seems very susceptible to breaking with any small knick from a tooth, you may want to consider something a little sturdier, but it's do-able.  Some people will tell you they finesse pike out with 8lb and have never had a break-off in their life and others will say you need tuna grade leaders with double barrel crimps and will still lose one or two each outing. I like what hank said about circle hooks, I use all circles and am always hooked right in the corner of the mouth taking teeth out of the equation for the most part.  On the other hand I use all steel so I'm not concerned about break offs.  I've caught my fair share of aggressive bass while fishing steel for pike. 
I've never really heard of anyone targeting both species at once, usually when you go for pike, that's what you're going for.  I'm assuming you want to target both so you get some flags and extra action while patiently waiting for a trophy pike? 
If I had to make a suggestion I'd say go with what you're comfortable with for pike so as you don't lose a possible fish of a lifetime and if a bass hits then that's a bonus.  If you really want to target bass then I'd personally make up different sets of leaders for your different applications.
There are also a ton of other factors to consider such as water clarity, what baits you are using, etc. etc.  So final answer... Make tons of different leaders and fish what you are most comfortable with...  After you get 40 different responses suggesting 40 completely different setups, that's just what you're going to end up doing anyway, lol.  Good luck.
It's like tailgating with the possibility of catching a fish!

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2017, 11:41 AM »
If anything, I've found large mouth bass to be less sensitive to leaders. Small mouth is a different story. I ran fluro for a year and didn't pick up and more flags. I now run about 50:50 fluro/steel. I've caught big walleye on steel leaders and big suckers. I've also got pike on light line. In my area at least, fish don't care nearly as much as people give them credit for. I use 50 pound fluoro. It pretty reliable, but I get 1-2 bite offs a season out of a hundred or so pike. This is acceptable to me. I just tie a new leader on almost every fish. A circle hook should help with this, but I have mixed results with them. A quick strike is much more reliable for me.
-Tom

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2017, 11:49 AM »
I just run 30# Power Pro green.It has a small diameter of 8#. Have never had a break off.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.