Author Topic: Striker predator bibs to hardwater Update 1/17/17  (Read 2649 times)

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Striker predator bibs to hardwater Update 1/17/17
« on: Jan 05, 2017, 06:54 PM »
I have a size large predator. I'm guessing the hardwaters will be the same size wise. I know a few guys upgraded recently? Did you size the same?
Salmonemia

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
Re: Striker predator bibs to hardwater
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2017, 07:14 PM »
I tried the climate bibs size large. It was way to hot and heavy. So i traded them in for the predator which is lighter and less insulated. Large ran the same size as the climate.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2017, 07:19 PM »
They run true to size between models ...If you tend to get cold then get the  Hardwater. I went from the Climate L Bibs to the Predator L bibs  with proper fit ....my buddy tried on my Climate Large Bibs and went with Large in the Hardwater bibs and Jacket.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2017, 07:30 PM »
Thanks for the information.
Salmonemia

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2017, 05:07 AM »
Salmonemia,

Why are you switching?

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2017, 07:46 AM »
Salmonemia,

Why are you switching?
Wondering the same?

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2017, 09:42 PM »
I have had mine for 4 season I've used them alot there starting to wear a bit. Just looking for something that has a little more durable outer lining. That's really it. Just wanted to upgrade. The predator bibs are warm but wanted the extra durability of the hardwater bibs.
Salmonemia

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2017, 10:07 PM »
WOW!
Doesn't seem possible it's been 4 years, Wayne?

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2017, 11:29 PM »
When you say durability of the outter material, are you actually wearing through the material at the knees or where material rubs against material or is the stitching wearing?  I only ask because the predators were going to be my next bibs.  I have had a pair of Strikemaster bibs for  5 + yrs and was waiting for an excuse to upgrade.  I do not like a lot of insulation in my bibs so I can layer as required.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2017, 05:22 AM »
It's mainly general wear and tear there not degraded to badly. I have not worn out the knees at all. The predator should be a better choice for you especially if you don't want too much insulation. Main reason I'm upgrading is I use mine alot and the bottom of the pant legs are starting to wear very slightly. I don't use a shack and spend all day outside in them . I wanted something that was a little more rugged. If I didn't have a buyer for my old bibs I would have just kept on using them. There well made. .... You know how it is we ice fisherman like our toys/ equipment.
Salmonemia

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2017, 10:14 AM »
Wanted to give everyone an update on the Hardwater bibs. There well built and in terms of warmth they are great. I find them a bit tighter in terms of fit, especially in the lower legs. I think with the extra insulation there a bit more snug. Leg length and upper body seems same. This is comparing a large Predator to large hardwater.
Salmonemia

Offline MartyMarPlv

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Striker predator bibs to hardwater Update 1/17/17
« Reply #11 on: Jan 17, 2017, 06:15 PM »
Do striker bibs have built in knee pads?

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 17, 2017, 07:51 PM »
Yes they do.
Salmonemia

Offline MartyMarPlv

• Team IceShanty Regular

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Salmonemia

Offline PDubs/NH

• Team IceShanty Addict
Striker Hardwater
« Reply #15 on: Feb 16, 2017, 05:24 PM »
Just received my new Striker Hardwater Bibs and Jacket.  Been thinking about floating  gear for a few years and this past weekend's events and the stories of some ice fishermen I follow and respect having mishaps they never thought they would have convinced me. Got a good price and support on the sizing from Pro Fishing Supply, quick shipping and out of the box they seem great. Hopefully some snow settles and I can get out on Winnipesaukee in abt 1.5 wks

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Striker Hardwater
« Reply #16 on: Feb 16, 2017, 07:24 PM »
Good deal. You won't be sorry. There awesome.
Salmonemia

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 16, 2017, 07:25 PM »
Salmonemia,

Now that you have had the hardwaters for a while how are you liking them.  How are you liking the added insulation?  The coating on the inside of the fabric of my bibs is delaminating and some of the stitching is giving up so it is time for a new set for me.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 16, 2017, 07:40 PM »
I like them alot as I said if you have big bulky boots they may be tight around the boot area but functional. There warm and very comfortable. Especially now that alot of stores are having sales I would recommend them but honestly you will be happy with either I think. The hardwater bibs are a bit warmer and rugged but the predator bibs are not cheap In terms of quality. I spend a long time on the ice so I went for the extra insulation as my main factor in upgrading. I never was cold I'm the predator bibs either. I had a few cold days with wind and they were fine. It'll be up to you. Keep an eye on the sales. Pro fishing supply especially and there an IS sponsor too I believe.
Salmonemia

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 16, 2017, 08:19 PM »
I pulled the trigger on the Hardwaters.  It was not easy to find larges on sale.  I did find a pair on up north sports for $183.  Are you dressing any lighter?

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 16, 2017, 08:39 PM »
I wear a pair of ems power stretch base layer and some cheap jogging pants. Plenty warm
Salmonemia

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 17, 2017, 08:00 AM »
I pulled the trigger on the Hardwaters.  It was not easy to find larges on sale.  I did find a pair on up north sports for $183.  Are you dressing any lighter?
Cool let us know what you think.
Salmonemia

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Feb 17, 2017, 08:14 AM »
Last year I bought the Hardwater bibs because I wanted the heavier duty material.  I don't have any complaints about them, the material is heavier duty than the Predators and they're super warm, so warm that most times I have some of the zippers open to vent out the extra heat.  I really like the re-enforced knee patches and all the pockets.  If there was anything that I'd suggest to Striker to improve on the it would be to put the knee patch material around the bottom of the legs so when you adjust the length of them the cuffs are re-enforced also.  I bought the Predator coat because I thought the Hardwater coat would be too warm especially since it over laps the bibs.  The coat is very well made and there's so many pockets you could forget where you put something.  Another really nice thing is the hood has a longer bill that blocks out the sun very well.  The only thing that I'd suggest for an improvement to the Predator coat is to add the two outside chest pockets that the Hardwater coat has.   I've had the suit on when it was around 15 degrees out with a almost constant wind and never got cold, not even a slight chill.  Overall I'm extremely happy with the combination, the quality of the construction of both, and would definitely buy it again.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #23 on: Feb 17, 2017, 09:56 AM »
makes sense that the hardwaters runs slightly smaller being it has more insulation.
i only wear military poly base under the suit. you don't want any thing that doesn't float. it's easier to wash those than the suit, otherwise you wouldn't need any thing under them.

i had a knee get wet on my hardwater bibs, because i kneel fish a lot and striker repaired them for free after the warranty expired. i think they didn't even ask about the purchase date. they said the seam tape must have broke kneeling on them. this year, the winter was a wash, so i can't tell if it will happen again until maybe next year. they repaired both sides tho and you can see the stitching where they went it on the sides near the zipper.

don't forget about the nifty can holder in the right side of the bibs right pocket where it isn't stitched shut. lol

If there was anything that I'd suggest to Striker to improve on the it would be to put the knee patch material around the bottom of the legs so when you adjust the length of them the cuffs are re-enforced also.
i agree and do some thing else with the gators if you adjust the inseam length. i don't use mine and they are in the way. i think about cutting them out.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #24 on: Feb 17, 2017, 10:11 AM »
As far as the gators go I have my cuff adjustment all the way up so the gator  sticks out some  ... so with the gators I snap them up and hike them up on my Mucks ...never fall down..buddy does the same with his Hardwaters and his Ice Kings
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Baystateangler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 17, 2017, 03:04 PM »
I brought my Predator bibs out for the first time for the derby. They worked great! Hope they hold up...

Offline clay3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 17, 2017, 03:12 PM »
Just got my hardwater bibs in the mail today.  Excited to test them out with the kids this weekend.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.