The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Poaching on the retreat  (Read 5777 times)

Offline Aliv22

• IceShanty Rookie
Poaching on the retreat
« on: Jan 05, 2017, 01:28 PM »
Went fishing on the retreat meadows yesterday with a friend we were mostly jigging and had some tip ups out for panfish.Throughout the day we were watching a gentleman catch fish after fish and
When we were ready to pack it in we decided to walk over to him and check things out he had a five gallon bucket loaded to the top with everything from 2-3 inch bluegill,crappie perch and bass he also had about another 150 to 200 fish covering the ice.I immediately called the game warden but couldn't get a hold of anyone so I left a message with all the information including his licence plat number.when we got home my friend got a hold of the warden and told him the situation and he ran right down there.Hopefully the guy is in jail he was a Russian guy with a white minivan and mass plates.If anyone ever sees this please contact the authorities instantly.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Poaching on the retreat
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2017, 01:52 PM »
goddamn russian fish hackers. trump must have had something to do with this.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2017, 02:06 PM »
Buddy of mine told me the Russians grind up any fish and eat it raw on crackers!! Don't sound good to me!!

Offline Aliv22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2017, 02:11 PM »
I was told they sell it whole so it's easy money for them..next time there will be three or four of the fishing and they will wipe out the whole area

Offline Aliv22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2017, 02:14 PM »
He also had about. 5 bass from 3-6 pounds

Offline Outlaw fishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2017, 02:36 PM »
Great fishery hate to think that people out there are taking advantage of it . Will definitely keep an eye out next time Im lucky enough to fish in Vermont.

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2017, 03:13 PM »
Buddy of mine told me the Russians grind up any fish and eat it raw on crackers!! Don't sound good to me!!

That's gotta be bony...and scaly.....and stinky.....and just gross.....I'd have to consume a lot of fermented potato water to try to muckle onto a snack like that

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2017, 03:15 PM »
That's annoying! I saw a guy in the islands who was panfishing just throw a bass on the ice. After it's fins were good and frozen he decided to put it back down the hole. When I approached him, after seeing the bass on the ice, to remind him that it wasn't bass season, he just told me that he had been fishing there for 35 years and that the fish was still alive. Although the bass was still alive, it had suffered significant ice damage to it's fins and eyes. The only reason why I could think he would do something like that is because he was on a good bite at the time and didn't want to spook the gills below by releasing the fish? Flat out frustrating and unethical.
Perch bait- a small minnow that can have big results in the ice fishing game.  :icefish:
My Blog: https://jacobcrawford8.wixsite.com/pboutdooradventure

Offline Registered Kayak

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ..............and then there were none.
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2017, 03:48 PM »
Its like that everywhere, sadly. Back home on than pier of GA you would see lowlifes keeping undersized sea trout and flounder, but when the wardens come by, they dump their coolers before being inspected, youd see dozens of undersized fish floating belly up for the gulls. Worst part is they and their drunk friends would laugh about it. Only way to stop it is to catch them on video and report. The enforcement for this is so sparse and undermanned.
Now imagine how many people during the other 3 seasons get away with keeping all the salmon and lake trout They want in the lake.
It is just a matter of teaching todays youth to obey regs and value fishing to make this change over the course of our lifetimes.

Offline perchkiller123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2017, 05:38 PM »
That Same guy from mass was at carmi during Fourth of July. We would get about 80-100 yards away to fish a nice rock pile that he was camped on all week and he wild yell at us. Also when we say him at the launch he took 3 walleye out that were in that slot limit they have up thier and can't keep. Also must have had 150-200 perch. >: >:(

Offline fishy1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2017, 05:50 PM »
Its like that everywhere, sadly. Back home on than pier of GA you would see lowlifes keeping undersized sea trout and flounder, but when the wardens come by, they dump their coolers before being inspected, youd see dozens of undersized fish floating belly up for the gulls. Worst part is they and their drunk friends would laugh about it. Only way to stop it is to catch them on video and report. The enforcement for this is so sparse and undermanned.
Now imagine how many people during the other 3 seasons get away with keeping all the salmon and lake trout They want in the lake.
It is just a matter of teaching todays youth to obey regs and value fishing to make this change over the course of our lifetimes.
x2

Offline Leafmountain10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 05, 2017, 07:03 PM »
Great job!  Is there a more visible place to fish that the RM?!  This guy should not be allowed back in vT.  I grew up there and can't tell you how many visits from F&W I had in my younger years?  Thanks for getting this dude on the radar!

Offline Aliv22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 05, 2017, 07:09 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys we are the ones out there doing what we love and we should respect our fisheries for future generations to enjoy as much as we do....

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 06, 2017, 07:09 AM »
cutting air valves will do the same thing a lot easier - tires are hard to cut, even sidewalls.

K-bar!
May the fish be with you.

Randy

Offline Icetime413

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 06, 2017, 07:31 AM »
Great job guys, hope the guy learned his lesson. I got some Cheese for u , for next time u can use as bait. I'm of Russian decent , n can tell u not all Russian keep everything they catch, poaching. Maybe guy had a big hungry family at home , n he's the food provider, would u rather him go rob a store or keep a few extra small fish that are probably stunted anyways n won't grow bigger. Maybe u should explained to him wat he was doing was wrong , n maybe he would have stop keeping them. But everyone does things differently. Tight line to all.

Offline rbobby

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 06, 2017, 08:15 AM »
Great job guys, hope the guy learned his lesson. I got some Cheese for u , for next time u can use as bait. I'm of Russian decent , n can tell u not all Russian keep everything they catch, poaching. Maybe guy had a big hungry family at home , n he's the food provider, would u rather him go rob a store or keep a few extra small fish that are probably stunted anyways n won't grow bigger. Maybe u should explained to him wat he was doing was wrong , n maybe he would have stop keeping them. But everyone does things differently. Tight line to all.

You're right, that's a good possibility.
But it doesn't make it right.

Offline peteinvermont

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 06, 2017, 08:24 AM »
This is Vermont - there are MANY ways to get free food for your family that requires a lot less work, and isn't illegal/immoral. 

Offline Icetime413

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 06, 2017, 08:57 AM »
Prolly are different way to get food on the table for sure with less work. But u can't think that every Russian is the same way. When I fish , I fish to keep a few to eat for me n my family , n oblige all the rules,n limits. So if next time u see THEM.(RUSSIANS) FISHING ILLEGAL . Don't be a snitch just tell them ,nicely wat there doing is wrong ,nicely could pay the price sooner or later. There are other ways of letting people know they doing wrong n explain to them cause some people who come to this country not know the fishing reg n limits cause they Prolly can't read or write , n just go fishing with out knowing. U don't know there situation.  I'M NOT sticking up for wat the guy was doing, but it's quite possible he didn't know better or he was just a jack@ss

Offline Aliv22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 06, 2017, 09:37 AM »
I'm all for keeping a legal limit of fish but what he had was ridiculous I rather let the authorities know then take matters in my own hands.Apparentaly this gentleman is known for doing this as the warden knew exactly who he was and warned him in the past.I don't care if your Russian,Mexican,Italian,or whatever follow the goddamn rules and save our fishery from trash like him

Offline Aliv22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 06, 2017, 09:52 AM »
And as for being a snitch my days of playing cowboy are over it's smarter and safer to let the people who get payed to handle situations like this do there job.Growing up on Long Island I have dumped many buckets of illegal fish back in the water from idiots playing stupid and saying they didn't know the limit or size.

Offline varmonter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 06, 2017, 10:16 AM »
Ok white van ..mass plates...eastern europe accent.
I will keep an eye out for this fellow. But i am sure
He is in vt because of the lack of enforcement.
Maybe i dont fish the right spots but i havent
Seen a warden on the ice in 20 years..maybe longer.
I fish and hunt the st lawrence once or twice a year
And am asked for my license at least once a trip.
So i would have  to concur that vt f&w is stretched
Pretty thin and is more investigating reports like
This one after the fact ..then they are trying to catch
Folks in the act.  This guy will probably remain a poacher
At large.... :-\  ignorance of the law is no excuse..this
Guy needs to learn the hard way..

Offline Aliv22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 06, 2017, 10:20 AM »
It truley is amazing I must of went fishing atleast a dozen times already and haven't seen a game warden once.

Offline NHHARDWATER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • -Aaron-
« Reply #22 on: Jan 06, 2017, 10:59 AM »
Maybe guy had a big hungry family at home , n he's the food provider, would u rather him go rob a store or keep a few extra small fish that are probably stunted anyways n won't grow bigger. Maybe u should explained to him what he was doing was wrong , n maybe he would have stop keeping them. But everyone does things differently. Tight line to all.

I have been trying to refrain from commenting on these types of threads, as I get a little vocal with this stuff. Can't help it right now, this is my POV like it or not....

#1 - Big Hungry Family? - The dude is from Mass. If he can afford to buy gas to get up there, and (assuming he is using) bait which in Vt we all know is $$. That's dinner for his family right there. If his family is that hungry its because they don't have the means to afford to buy food... I WOULD BE FISHING CLOSER TO HOME.

#2 - A few extra fish? stunted anyways and wont grow? This seemed to be more than "a Few" and how can we assume they wont grow after being caught/Stunted? what a mouth fart.

#3 - Explain what he is doing wrong? Just like everyone else, ignorance is no excuse. Try telling this to a game warden, see what he says. I have to read and understand the laws and regs, limits and whatnot before I go out, it is my responsibility. Why should this guy get a buy. No one else does! ITS HIS RESPONSIBILITY TO UNDERSTAND THE LAWS, NO ON SHOULD HAVE TO WRITE IT OUT IN THE SNOW FOR HIM.

:cookoo: Sorry everyone. This just sounds ridiculous to me. Hungry family... Get a job.

Chasing Ice

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #23 on: Jan 06, 2017, 11:07 AM »
I have been trying to refrain from commenting on these types of threads, as I get a little vocal with this stuff. Can't help it right now, this is my POV like it or not....

#1 - Big Hungry Family? - The dude is from Mass. If he can afford to buy gas to get up there, and (assuming he is using) bait which in Vt we all know is $$. That's dinner for his family right there. If his family is that hungry its because they don't have the means to afford to buy food... I WOULD BE FISHING CLOSER TO HOME.

#2 - A few extra fish? stunted anyways and wont grow? This seemed to be more than "a Few" and how can we assume they wont grow after being caught/Stunted? what a mouth fart.

#3 - Explain what he is doing wrong? Just like everyone else, ignorance is no excuse. Try telling this to a game warden, see what he says. I have to read and understand the laws and regs, limits and whatnot before I go out, it is my responsibility. Why should this guy get a buy. No one else does! ITS HIS RESPONSIBILITY TO UNDERSTAND THE LAWS, NO ON SHOULD HAVE TO WRITE IT OUT IN THE SNOW FOR HIM.

**censored**.  :cookoo: Sorry everyone. This just sounds ridiculous to me. Hungry family... Get a job.
.             Good explanation!!

Offline Jschumacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats walking on water. Life Member NAFC
« Reply #24 on: Jan 06, 2017, 11:11 AM »
I'm from MA and love the great state of VT. Spent a couple years up in Johnson. I fish there as much as I can be it hardwater or soft water. Pay the fee for the out of state license every year but well worth it. I carry the regs book with me and sometimes have to read it a couple times to understand it correctly. Food is food ignorance is ignorance. Agree not all folks of that decent or any other decent are the same and we don't need to stereotype. Play by the rules of the state your fishing. Hope I don't see him there Sunday.
Hard water Tight lines Flags up. Doesn't get any better than that

Member of the G.O.D.S

Offline NHHARDWATER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • -Aaron-
« Reply #25 on: Jan 06, 2017, 11:22 AM »
I don't care if he is Russian, asain, Canadian or if he is an ole woodchuck that has never left hardwick.
I didn't get the sense that this was about him being Russian. It was about the fact that he shouldn't be treated differently than you or I  in terms of cutting the guy some slack because he doesn't know (or more likely, doesn't care about) the regs limits and rules, etc. If I came to Vt, and shot a spike horn, checked it in and did so without ever making sure I understood what the regs were, I would fully expect to be fined. Would you cut me slack if you saw me dragging out a spike horn and my excuse was "Oh, I didn't know the rules"
Chasing Ice

Offline NHHARDWATER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • -Aaron-
« Reply #26 on: Jan 06, 2017, 11:24 AM »
See? Now I'm all wound up  ::)
Chasing Ice

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #27 on: Jan 06, 2017, 11:31 AM »
I don't care if he is Russian, asain, Canadian or if he is an ole woodchuck that has never left hardwick.
I didn't get the sense that this was about him being Russian. It was about the fact that he shouldn't be treated differently than you or I  in terms of cutting the guy some slack because he doesn't know (or more likely, doesn't care about) the regs limits and rules, etc. If I came to Vt, and shot a spike horn, checked it in and did so without ever making sure I understood what the regs were, I would fully expect to be fined. Would you cut me slack if you saw me dragging out a spike horn and my excuse was "Oh, I didn't know the rules"

Now we're sh@tting on Hardwick?
I thought you NH people picked on Canaan or Unity?
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline NHHARDWATER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • -Aaron-
« Reply #28 on: Jan 06, 2017, 11:43 AM »
I'm FROM Lyndonville, Vt BRA.... and I don't live too far from both Canaan or Unity. I was just sayin.... Fine, how about and ole woodchuck that has never left Lyndonville :)
Chasing Ice

Offline NHHARDWATER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • -Aaron-
« Reply #29 on: Jan 06, 2017, 11:49 AM »

Sorry if I offended anyone with the Hardwick example. what my bottom line was, it doesn't matter who you are or where you are from. If you want to play the game, you should know the rules.... I am reminded of why I try to stick to "Lighter" conversation on here lol. My big mouth  ;D
Chasing Ice

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.