Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Central Iowa Ice Report  (Read 1997 times)

Offline ccurnes

• IceShanty Rookie
Central Iowa Ice Report
« on: Jan 05, 2017, 10:33 AM »
Hi, new here and curious if any users know the current central Iowa ice conditions?  Preferably Roberts Creek, Badger, and any other popular bodies of water in the central region of the state.  I know it was around 6" a few weeks ago before the warm up and rain but am questioning how good it is now.  Any feedback would be much appreciated, thank you.

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Central Iowa Ice Report
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2017, 11:19 AM »
First off, welcome!

I was out on Dale Maffit,last Friday and Saturday morning and the ice was 6/7" thick. With this cold snap, I can only think that new ice is forming.

Offline ccurnes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2017, 12:26 PM »
Hi Dave, thank you for the response.  I've only been ice fishing for two years so not a lot of experience.  With these recent temps I don't doubt that it is forming ice but suppose I was more questioning the quality of ice.  I figured the warm temps and rain would have ruined it but I've read several other posts on here and Iowa Sportsman and it does sound like others are reporting similar conditions to what you are on Moffit.  I assume Badger and Roberts would be about the same.  I think I will make the drive to Roberts tomorrow and give it a try.  I got into some really nice crappies two years ago. 

I was told several years back that Moffit has perch in it but they are super hard to find.  Any truth to that?  How about crappies?

Thanks again for the feedback. 

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2017, 12:34 PM »
Welcome to Ice Shanty.  I'm in the central part of the state along hwy.#30 and I don't think are little warm spell and rain affected it.  One of the ponds I frequent was and still is 9".  As always use caution no matter how cold it gets.

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2017, 12:40 PM »
Hi Dave, thank you for the response.  I've only been ice fishing for two years so not a lot of experience.  With these recent temps I don't doubt that it is forming ice but suppose I was more questioning the quality of ice.  I figured the warm temps and rain would have ruined it but I've read several other posts on here and Iowa Sportsman and it does sound like others are reporting similar conditions to what you are on Moffit.  I assume Badger and Roberts would be about the same.  I think I will make the drive to Roberts tomorrow and give it a try.  I got into some really nice crappies two years ago. 

I was told several years back that Moffit has perch in it but they are super hard to find.  Any truth to that?  How about crappies?

Thanks again for the feedback.

Dale Maffitt does have Perch, and yes they are hard to find. But then, I don't do a whole lot of searching for them. I've caught some decent Crappies, but they have been inconsistent. One thing to keep in mind is that they close the gate at 8 pm. So, you need to be out by then, or you'll be spending the night, until they unlock it again at 7am.

Offline ccurnes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2017, 10:22 PM »
Welcome to Ice Shanty.  I'm in the central part of the state along hwy.#30 and I don't think are little warm spell and rain affected it.  One of the ponds I frequent was and still is 9".  As always use caution no matter how cold it gets.

Thank you for the update.  Like I responded to Dave, I really figured the rain and warmer temps would have ruined the ice fishing.  I'm starting to regret not going out and drilling a few holes this last week...the season is already short enough in these parts.  I see it's back to the 40's again next week.  Thanks again. 

Offline ccurnes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2017, 10:43 PM »
Dale Maffitt does have Perch, and yes they are hard to find. But then, I don't do a whole lot of searching for them. I've caught some decent Crappies, but they have been inconsistent. One thing to keep in mind is that they close the gate at 8 pm. So, you need to be out by then, or you'll be spending the night, until they unlock it again at 7am.

The handful of times I've been through the park I've never seen many people fishing it and always wondered.  Sure would be nice to get into the perch.  I'll have to give it a try sometime....between 7am and 8pm tho.   ;)

Offline MCNorris

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2017, 08:36 PM »
Did you ever get to Roberts Creek? I was thinking of taking the kids out tomorrow just wondering if they were biting, have not had any luck the last few times either bad timing or bad scouting lol.

Offline ccurnes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2017, 08:34 AM »
Apologies for not logging in and following up sooner, I spend all week on a computer and its the last thing I want to look at and think about on the weekend.  I did make it to Roberts on Friday and Saturday.  I managed to pull a few decent crappie through the ice but I was having a hard time finding them.  Apparently I need to do more scouting myself.  Ice was around 7" - 8" and the geese had a lot of open water on the North end.  I tried Hooper on Sunday and not a single bite.  Regardless, it was still better than work and nice to be out.   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.