Author Topic: Norther RI Ice Jan 7/8 weekend  (Read 1341 times)

Offline RIMainuh

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cold nuf for ya?
Norther RI Ice Jan 7/8 weekend
« on: Jan 05, 2017, 09:55 AM »
I'll be up there Fri Night/Sat and Sun. I'll keep and eye on Waterman/George Washington and sink a spud a few times at Bowdish (Ice thickness permitting). Those are the three closest to me. Don't forget NFL playoffs this weekend. Bring your Radio.

I'll update regularly as Floor Laying breaks allow.
Chepachet....The Alaska of Rhode Island

Offline TheManDJV

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Norther RI Ice Jan 7/8 weekend
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2017, 10:46 AM »
Are you new to ri or just the shanty?
Flaaaaaaaaaaaag!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline RIMainuh

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cold nuf for ya?
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2017, 11:19 AM »
Just to Shanty and Ice Fishing RI. Been here 32 years but never ice fished, didn't have the time or trust the ice. Grew up Ice fishing my whole youth up in Northern Maine. Now I own on Bowdish so I can fish hard and soft water all the time just by walking out my door. My gear makes me look like a newbie but there's some experience in this old body.  ;D :tipup:

Offline TheManDJV

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2017, 12:29 PM »
Wilsons will freeze up before bowdish I'd imagine that looks like a relatively short drive for you...never iced Wakefield pond but we do awesome there in the summer I like fishing the northern end lillies in the canoe just wondering but I probably wouldn't go anywhere else if I lived on the water, hope to see everybody out there soon and safe

Offline Flatland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2017, 01:17 PM »
Never fished Bowdish. I was under the impression it is shallow and weedy. Are there some nice bass in there?

Offline Reginald Bonz III

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!!!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2017, 01:28 PM »
Wilsons will freeze up before bowdish I'd imagine that looks like a relatively short drive for you...never iced Wakefield pond but we do awesome there in the summer I like fishing the northern end lillies in the canoe just wondering but I probably wouldn't go anywhere else if I lived on the water, hope to see everybody out there soon and safe

Wilson's is a good bet...I might try to get there on Sunday.
Keep those holes clean and smooth

Offline RIMainuh

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cold nuf for ya?
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2017, 01:37 PM »
I'm told by another poster they have taken some nice Bass and some very nice Pickle fish out of here. My neighbor has a pretty nice Bass boat he says he leaves on the pond all summer. Suspect he must hit Bowdish pretty hard with a rig like that.

Offline RIMainuh

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cold nuf for ya?
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2017, 01:40 PM »
One additional note on Bowdish... I'm told this year the pond was dropped unusually low for a winter level . No apparent explanation but its lower than usual in most winter seasons.

Offline BigBearRI

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2017, 02:11 PM »
Thx for all of the intel RIMainuh!!!
Come chat with the community at <a href=" https://www.facebook.com/groups/134032093959510/?ref=group_header"Rhode Island Ice Fishing</a>

Offline The Legend

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2017, 06:26 PM »
Is wilsons locked up?

Offline TheManDJV

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2017, 09:45 PM »
If I have time tomorrow I'll swing back through that area and let you know what I find unless someone beats me to it

Offline _Icecold_

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2017, 04:03 PM »
checked a small favorite spot near me, surprisingly it was wide open... we'll see what happens keep the reports comin

Offline glennrod8

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 07, 2017, 10:34 AM »
has anyone drilled pulaski park/peck pond? usually freezes early and holds ice longer than most

Offline RIMainuh

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cold nuf for ya?
« Reply #13 on: Jan 09, 2017, 06:57 AM »
Not much to report over the weekend and putting down floors kept me busy both days. as of yesterday at 1p.m. Bowdish was making ice but it was slushy snow ice. Sunk a spud in knee deep water. about 2 inches of really fragile ice. probably making progress after last night being so cold. I wouldn't trust it. didn't get to any other locations due to the honey-do list. Be Safe out there.

Offline Cold Ice Steve

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Conserve and protect the environment
« Reply #14 on: Jan 09, 2017, 07:37 AM »
Fishing Bowdish,
Over the years Bowdish has been choked out by weeds. They have lowered the water to the lowest levels I have seen since the rebuilding of the dam. About 5 yrs ago I tried to ice fish it. The weeds were just under or touching the ice. Had to use my auger as a clearing tool. Not worth the time.
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't care and the people that do don't matter.

Offline RIMainuh

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cold nuf for ya?
« Reply #15 on: Jan 09, 2017, 11:39 AM »
Being the fact I can walk off my lawn and fish it...if the wife ever is done listing stuff for me to do at the new place.... I'll be the Lewis and Clark of Bowdish and try to find THE pre-eminent fishing location on the lake. I would hope, free of weeds (you never know). If I need to wear out my spud and auger to find a clear space to fish I will do so. Then share it with the brethren that is RI Ice Shanty. IT IS MY QUEST!!!  ;D ;D

Offline Ballbag

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 09, 2017, 01:16 PM »
Your gonna need to do a recon mission in the open water. Local pond I fish in is the same. Weeds up the rear end! But I took my boat out a couple years ago and found my open spots. Put some markings up and now I can drop my tilts in better spots and catch fish. No more pulling up a bean stalk from the hole, just an occasional slime dart!  :flex: :flex:

Offline RIMainuh

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cold nuf for ya?
« Reply #17 on: Jan 09, 2017, 02:07 PM »
Good Call Ball bag. For this winter I'm going to pick my neighbor with the bass boats brain to get some general idea where to stay away from. Just a total aside because we deal with frozen lakes and ponds not sure this next comment is germaine but I'm told that on Bowdish the Small Islands you see from shore are actually floating islands and they move around the lake arbitrarily. Highly unusual I would say. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.