Author Topic: hub portables in wind  (Read 1459 times)

Offline rundrave

• Team IceShanty Regular
hub portables in wind
« on: Jan 04, 2017, 04:08 PM »
thinking of going to a hub setup just to get some more room for me and my kids. If I am not moving is it worth the effort to set up a hub even on a windy day? I already have a clam thermal flip over its just a little tight for space.

Going to a hub should give us plenty of room I am just worried about setup and taking down in SD wind? Thoughts for you guys already braving the winds we have to deal with?

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
Re: hub portables in wind
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2017, 05:28 PM »
I have a two person flip, four person hub and a two to three person insulated hub. In good ol SoDak ya anchor one corner of the hub into the wind. Then set it up and anchor the two windward sides. If the wind increases, more anchors where needed to hold it. I don't consider my small hub any more difficult to set up than my flipover.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Catfishzach

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2017, 06:23 PM »
My wife got me a fatfish 949i for Christmas, and I took it out for the first time last weekend in 20-25mph winds. I had no problems setting it up or taking it down by myself. I did have an issue with the windward side pushing in, but I used some extra rope to get the side anchors a little further away, to hold it out better. After that we didn't have a problem and caught a mess of perch. The kids had a blast!

Offline Sprocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Personal Text
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2017, 06:41 PM »
To repeat advice I got here (and possibly figured out on my own):

When I get to a location I set an anchor and attach my sled rope.  I can use the same anchor for the pop up wall so I don't have to chase it...

Once the shelter is on place I anchor as needed - I would solo a lot bt only fought the wind a few times - a rip at the bottom corner needed to be sewn up again.

Good luck
Trust me, when the Zamboni driver says "You won't catch fish through that hole", he knows of what he speaks.

Offline skifisher05

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2017, 04:17 PM »
This might not be the right place to ask, but does anyone have advice on what anchors to use for securing hub style shelters.  The ones that came with my Eskimo seem to bend too easily when I try and anchor them in the ice.

Offline majic0135

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2017, 04:34 PM »
As for ice anchors Eskimo is really the best,,, "When" I did own a hub I used them and they grab good,,, If you have to use all of them (8) then a drill and adapter would be good. I gave up on my hub as Ice Dawg said good old So. Dak there are more windy days then calm and just tired of fighting the walls pushing in OR the top coming down,,, Went back to a flip over two man (Shappell) and no problem in the wind,,,
majic

Offline Ranger619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2017, 06:23 PM »
Rundrave if you decide to go with a hub check the Polar Bird4T they have floors you can put in them and right now the floors are free. They look impressive
Fish as much as you can we're not here forever!

Otter Cottage Pro X Over
Marcum LX9 LX7 LX3
Thorne Bros,G Austin & TUCR Rods
Striker Lite Flite Milwaukee Fuel M18

Suzuki 750 King Quad W/Otter Monster Box

Offline Aufan0023

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2017, 08:38 AM »
I have been checking out Cabelas XL2000 Hub Shelter. Does anyone use it, and if so how does it hold up in the wind? It appears to be pretty sturdy.

Offline shanley26

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2017, 04:24 PM »
I have an Eskimo 949i waiting to be used this weekend, good to know the anchors are solid.

Offline helimpd124

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2017, 06:56 PM »
That's what I use, and i haven't had issue with it in the wind. I did get some ratchet straps to use to anchor it instead of the little strings they gice you though
I have an Eskimo 949i waiting to be used this weekend, good to know the anchors are solid.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.