The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Mini Bike on the ice?  (Read 9118 times)

Offline JoeLansing

• IceShanty Rookie
Mini Bike on the ice?
« on: Jan 03, 2017, 08:34 PM »
I bought a big mini-bike this summer.  https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-CT200U-Trail200-Gas-Powered-Mini-Bike/40486686   Would it move on the ice?  It's got fat tires.  I'd try and pull an old Shappel 3000 with ski kit if I got very lazy.  I can see it working on 2-3 inches of snow.  But beyond that I dunno.
- Joe

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
Re: Mini Bike on the ice?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2017, 08:42 PM »
Orv sticker also, save a ticket!!

Offline JoeLansing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2017, 09:22 PM »

TYVM Sir.  I never thought of that!

- Joe

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2017, 09:24 PM »
TYVM Sir.  I never thought of that!

- Joe
You might want to put out riggers on it for the slick ice and maybe chains

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2017, 09:31 PM »
Stud those tires and it'll go perfectly..

<°)))>{

Offline PJB1967

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2017, 09:49 PM »
Saw a kid riding one on Lake St. Claire couple years ago looked like he was having a blast

Offline zmantc54

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2017, 07:29 AM »

Do you need an ORV sticker if you are only on the ice???  Just curious because I know you don't need a trail pass for snowmobile if you are only on the hard water.
Flag up!

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2017, 07:45 AM »
You could add another wheel on the back and ski on the front and then you would have a sno scoot like Yahama use to make. Several years ago there was a guy riding one on Higgins lake another guy had a lawn tractor pulling his gear

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2017, 08:00 AM »
idk but this thread inspired me to make a shanty pulling mini bike,ive got old 70s minibike frames and parts and some newer baja heat/doodlebug minibikes too.ski on front and back tire studded.it would work no problem maybe just stud both tires..i already like building minis and have bonanza,taco and sprite frames and parts.along with a fleet of Tecumseh and briggs motors.it wouldn't take much room in the truck either.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2017, 08:27 AM »
Do you need an ORV sticker if you are only on the ice???  Just curious because I know you don't need a trail pass for snowmobile if you are only on the hard water.
.       Yes pretty sure u do

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2017, 08:28 AM »
Snowmobiles are registered with numbers

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #11 on: Jan 04, 2017, 09:00 AM »
.       Yes pretty sure u do

Definitely need the ORV sticker. Pretty sure a helmet is required too. I know a helmet is required for a quad even on your own private property. A quad is considered a motorcycle because you straddle the seat. The no helmet law is for highway use not ORV.

:tipup:
Lobes

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2017, 09:01 AM »
Definitely need the ORV sticker. Pretty sure a helmet is required too. I know a helmet is required for a quad even on your own private property. A quad is considered a motorcycle because you straddle the seat. The no helmet law is for highway use not ORV.

:tipup:
Lobes
.         Yep definitely a helmet

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2017, 09:16 AM »
If my boat needs an orv sticker, something with wheels must... Lol..

Sounds like a good idea though!!

<°)))>{

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 04, 2017, 11:57 AM »
idk but this thread inspired me to make a shanty pulling mini bike,ive got old 70s minibike frames and parts and some newer baja heat/doodlebug minibikes too.ski on front and back tire studded.it would work no problem maybe just stud both tires..i already like building minis and have bonanza,taco and sprite frames and parts.along with a fleet of Tecumseh and briggs motors.it wouldn't take much room in the truck either.

A company use to make one that you added a ski on the front wheel and added a second wheel and track on the back for winter use. They were very light weight but worked good. A friend of mine not far from you had 2 of them years ago and both would fit in the back of my 1967 Bronco. We used them a lot for fishing. I still am kicking myself for not buyng one at the time. I don't remember what they were called

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #15 on: Jan 04, 2017, 12:43 PM »
A company use to make one that you added a ski on the front wheel and added a second wheel and track on the back for winter use. They were very light weight but worked good. A friend of mine not far from you had 2 of them years ago and both would fit in the back of my 1967 Bronco. We used them a lot for fishing. I still am kicking myself for not buyng one at the time. I don't remember what they were called
I know a old one called the skee whee with track and small skis on front.and the vintage Clinton all terrain bike. there was a modern version that was just a minibike with a ski on front called the snow bike sold by gokartusa.

Offline Fishingixxer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 04, 2017, 04:06 PM »
There was a group of guys that used to race crotch rockets on lake chemung and woodland lake on the ice. Studded tires and off they went. So i don't see why a mini bike wouldn't work.

Offline Farmsaver

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 05, 2017, 08:16 AM »
On any Sunday. Old movie. They stud crotch rockets and race on ice!

Offline dgb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Gill Time!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 05, 2017, 05:40 PM »
You need a ORV sticker on your car or truck if you drive it on the ice or you could get a ticket.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 05, 2017, 06:05 PM »
You need a ORV sticker on your car or truck if you drive it on the ice or you could get a ticket.
.       No u do not !!   It's has a license and the lake is a extension of the road, check it out!!

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 05, 2017, 06:16 PM »

That's always been my understanding too...

The only motorized vehicle that I know doesn't need an orv sticker is a snowmobile that has the trail whatever...

<°)))>{

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 05, 2017, 06:26 PM »
U will not get a ticket on your licensed vechicle on the ice , ask any CO !!

Offline WestSideAl8x8

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pants up, don't loot!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 05, 2017, 08:07 PM »
Fishing Lake St. Clair many years ago I saw a couple of guys that had mini-bikes. They had the tires studded and it appeared to work out pretty well for them. I also have seen guys out with riding lawn mowers with the mower deck removed. Both of these examples fall into the "The raggiest ride beats the fanciest walk" category.

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hold my beer and watch this
« Reply #23 on: Jan 07, 2017, 07:23 PM »
I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #24 on: Apr 30, 2017, 06:39 PM »
I just took one of my baja heat minibikes and put 250 kold kutter ice racing screws in each tire and will use it for pulling ice gear out this coming year.just need to make a hitch for it.hopefully get some ice to try it out.i kept the  chain clutch setup on it but I have another minibike with a torque converter set up that  really boost take off and top speed but the belt might slip if it gets wet.wont take up much room in the truck and I can unload/load it by myself.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.