Author Topic: Jaw jackers  (Read 1741 times)

Offline zachrip99

• IceShanty Rookie
Jaw jackers
« on: Jan 03, 2017, 06:27 PM »
Anyone use jaw jackers? How do you like them?

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Jaw jackers
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2017, 07:41 PM »
I have 1. Never use it. In all fairness I never took the time to play with it to get it set up right. I prefer the ice rigger. If I miss the hook set it's on me. :tipup:

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2017, 09:22 PM »
I like mine. It's pretty cool on days when the fishing is good
The BIG one is just one flag away!

Species caught : largemouth, smallmouth,  bluegill, perch, White perch, crappie, trout, catfish, bowfin, pickerel, pike

-Ryan-

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Work was made for people who can't fish, I'm retir
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2017, 06:47 AM »
I have two, Gives you a chance to catch those chew and screw fish,also made up a few homemade ones that work as well

Offline Murphyfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2017, 07:19 AM »
Yeah I bought the ht ice riggers.  Pretty cheap, and instead of setting the hook, it has a clip that clips to the line and when a fish takes it, the flag rolls off a little swivel dolley and the flag goes up while your line is in free spool.  This creates no tension so the fish doesn't know it has a hook in its mouth. Those have been prettt good to me, even on the larger fish

Offline MJD3561

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2017, 08:32 AM »
I tried one for the first time at Highland last weekend. More of a novelty.
I had one strike, fish was on briefly, but came off before I got to the rod.
Be careful to set it up correctly (and with the correct rod!) - I broke one of my jigging rods because the bend stress was too strong. I ended up using a really old solid fiberglass rod and it works good.
Tough to hook fish while fishing minnows, as most fish will run and stop before swallowing the bait.

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Work was made for people who can't fish, I'm retir
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2017, 10:47 AM »
It all depends on the fish you are targeting , such as perch and sunnies not a good idea to use a jaw jacker. Walleye, Bass & Pike much bigger mouths ,works well,you will never get every fish that hits no matter what method  you use. The difference in the jaw jacker and the ice riggers, A jaw jacker is just that the fish bite and it tries to set the hook.were as the ice rigger to me is a glorified tip up. don't get me wrong I use both the jackers and tip ups when ice fishing.some lakes are just for jigging such as a lake like Oneida,hardly anyone uses tip ups on the lake. to bad we do not have a lake in Ct. that compares with a lake like Oneida :tipup:

Offline MrFishfinger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2017, 12:14 PM »
They work awesome for rainbows and small browns, small horizontal jigs tipped with 1/2(or less) of a mealworm.

Offline jammer icecube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Danbury Fish & Game Hardwater Tour
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2017, 12:31 PM »
I have two and love them think the length of the rod and stiffness factor in for hook ups. Ive caught smallies and trout on Candlewood with them....good stuff. I use my ice riggers just to dead stick as I taped the flags down, the line always freezes to the side of the hole in very cold temps.

Offline Silverbullet555

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2017, 12:42 PM »
I have a couple. Mind you. I've been ice fishing 3 times so I am not even a novice at ice fishing yet. I am however an equipment junky. So I have a couple jaw jackets. So far I like them for rainbows on a lake. We can't use live bait so I don't have any issues with bait tripping them.

I set the triggers up a little tighter so it would take a good tug to set them up. Had 6 trips, hooked 4 and landed 3.

I have a couple of the HT ones with the flag. Haven't used those yet.  The other trout we caught was just sitting in a holder.
James

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2017, 05:11 AM »
Goofing around a couple weeks ago me and another shanty member had quite a laugh using one on bluegills just got kicks...we used a small jig with spikes set it up and let it rip...it was rather hilarious.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.