Author Topic: Newfound Circus Season 2017  (Read 93112 times)

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
Re: Newfound Circus Season 2017
« Reply #390 on: Feb 19, 2017, 08:53 PM »
2/19/2017

Woke up early this morning and decided to bounce the Girls, Girls, Girls house across the lake while the ice was still firm. Went without issues.

Later the Circus banded together and helped ZZ and OutdoorLlife move their houses. Had to tie tandom Sled to Argo to Bobhouse.

It was nice this morning that Garrett one of our younger members was in control of the board. Nice to be welcomed onto the board this morning by Garrett, one of our younger members of the Circus as he was in control of the board (until Laker Taker showed up). I caught one on the motorvator. Now only 3 behind CH for the season until she caught one while i was out tending to the other house blocking it up and tying it down, now back to 4 behind. Cant take my eyes off of her.

Tough day ice wise and as the day went on, it only got worse. The weather was nice except for the high winds during late morning to afternoon. Eventually it calmed down towards evening so i moved the Log Cabin house out of its wet hole. Bumped over to 55 fow.

This week's weather will help get rid of the snow but unfortunately it will create a lot of water until the ice can absorb it. Heard we're getting rain later in the week which again will help get rid of the snow but mostly likely will need to drill some drain holes to help get rid of the water on the ice. Hopefully the shore line won't be a mess. Guess we'll see.

Didn't get much fishing in this weekend unfortunately due to dealing with the conditions but still had fun and was memorable.

Checking houses tomorrow some time.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #391 on: Feb 20, 2017, 12:51 PM »
North End Of Mayhew...early season. Episode 8

Enjoy in HD!

ps: Send Beer!

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #392 on: Feb 20, 2017, 01:27 PM »
2/19/2017

Woke up early this morning and decided to bounce the Girls, Girls, Girls house across the lake while the ice was still firm. Went without issues.

Later the Circus banded together and helped ZZ and OutdoorLlife move their houses. Had to tie tandom Sled to Argo to Bobhouse.

It was nice this morning that Garrett one of our younger members was in control of the board. Nice to be welcomed onto the board this morning by Garrett, one of our younger members of the Circus as he was in control of the board (until Laker Taker showed up). I caught one on the motorvator. Now only 3 behind CH for the season until she caught one while i was out tending to the other house blocking it up and tying it down, now back to 4 behind. Cant take my eyes off of her.

Tough day ice wise and as the day went on, it only got worse. The weather was nice except for the high winds during late morning to afternoon. Eventually it calmed down towards evening so i moved the Log Cabin house out of its wet hole. Bumped over to 55 fow.

This week's weather will help get rid of the snow but unfortunately it will create a lot of water until the ice can absorb it. Heard we're getting rain later in the week which again will help get rid of the snow but mostly likely will need to drill some drain holes to help get rid of the water on the ice. Hopefully the shore line won't be a mess. Guess we'll see.

Didn't get much fishing in this weekend unfortunately due to dealing with the conditions but still had fun and was memorable.

Checking houses tomorrow some time.
Thanks for the report I have yet to make it there due to various reasons. Sounds like the ice is holding up ok? How much snow is up there?
Salmonemia

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #393 on: Feb 20, 2017, 03:17 PM »
Thanks for the report I have yet to make it there due to various reasons. Sounds like the ice is holding up ok? How much snow is up there?

Snow on Newfound has been reduced to glare ice fouled by sled traffic (bumpy with old sled trails frozen in)
What were drifts are now crusted mounds no deeper than 8" with slush beneath when you step in one.
The rest of the ice varies from fairly solid to a crust that breaks beneath your weight causing you to step in watery slush.
I found a nice solid area closer to the North of Mayhew in shallower water to try for some rainbows...(lakers not cooperating) and Shobizz and I bumped our house there this morning.
Now for a nice day to egg some holes...today was very chilly with a stiff wind.
Didn't feel like fighting the wind today...tomorrow is another day!

Offline DRAGIN

• IceShanty Rookie
  • HERE FISHY. FISHY
« Reply #394 on: Feb 20, 2017, 03:22 PM »
So Mow is the ice passable again with a wheeler or does it need to tighten up more? May see you tomorrow.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #395 on: Feb 20, 2017, 03:39 PM »
So Mow is the ice passable again with a wheeler or does it need to tighten up more? May see you tomorrow.

Dragin, I haven't personally, ridden a wheeler out there but there were a couple yesterday (ZZ and OutdoorsLife had them out there to try and haul their houses to shore) OL SAID HE STRUGGLED WITH THE WHEELER TO GET OUT THERE... turns out Jiggin had to haul the houses with the Argo.
I would think with morning temps around 10 degrees you might be able to get away with it.

Please don't use this report to decide...I would try the wheeler and see how it goes...if you think it will make it out okay then go for it but be prepared to struggle...a lot has changed since yesterday with the cooler temps today and a deep freeze tonight.
I'll most likely be out there tomorrow but I don't know what time yet...going to be frigid!
I might wait for temps to warm a bit before heading out.

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #396 on: Feb 20, 2017, 04:31 PM »
 :thumbsup: on the vid, Jiggin.
Another quality production.

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #397 on: Feb 20, 2017, 04:34 PM »
X2 - Love the time elapsed opening... hope LT got his beer!

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #398 on: Feb 20, 2017, 05:03 PM »
Snow on Newfound has been reduced to glare ice fouled by sled traffic (bumpy with old sled trails frozen in)
What were drifts are now crusted mounds no deeper than 8" with slush beneath when you step in one.
The rest of the ice varies from fairly solid to a crust that breaks beneath your weight causing you to step in watery slush.
I found a nice solid area closer to the North of Mayhew in shallower water to try for some rainbows...(lakers not cooperating) and Shobizz and I bumped our house there this morning.
Now for a nice day to egg some holes...today was very chilly with a stiff wind.
Didn't feel like fighting the wind today...tomorrow is another day!
Thank you very much for this report I appreciate it. Good luck to you on the bows.  :tipup:
Salmonemia

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #399 on: Feb 20, 2017, 06:15 PM »
Thank you very much for this report I appreciate it. Good luck to you on the bows.  :tipup:

You're welcome!

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #400 on: Feb 20, 2017, 07:26 PM »
I like the soundtrack to the latest video as well. Nice job

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #401 on: Feb 20, 2017, 07:52 PM »

I was going to say the same thing!
That music is more "my speed"
Ya I'm old... >:(

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #402 on: Feb 20, 2017, 08:31 PM »

Agree'd! Thanks for the feedback.

Offline outdoorslife

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #403 on: Feb 21, 2017, 11:27 AM »
Jiggin were you flying a drone on saturday night? It had crazy lights flashing around

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #404 on: Feb 21, 2017, 01:06 PM »
Jiggin were you flying a drone on saturday night? It had crazy lights flashing around

No not at Night. CH saw them too and wasn't sure what they were...i think she said 4 or 5 read lights. She was afraid that i was going to be abducted while sleeping out there Saturday night by Aliens.......as far as i know that didnt happen.

Offline DRAGIN

• IceShanty Rookie
  • HERE FISHY. FISHY
« Reply #405 on: Feb 21, 2017, 04:09 PM »
Made it to the house today. Got there around 10:00. House is high and dry. Going was good with the wheeler. Everything was hard in the morning, but soften up in the afternoon but still passable if you pick your way.
Saw one laker at 10:30 then nothing until about 1:30. Did manage to get a hook in him. Measured 19" and back down the hole he went. Mow Biz came out and I got to visit with hi for a few. Packed it in around 3.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #406 on: Feb 21, 2017, 04:35 PM »
Made it to the house today. Got there around 10:00. House is high and dry. Going was good with the wheeler. Everything was hard in the morning, but soften up in the afternoon but still passable if you pick your way.
Saw one laker at 10:30 then nothing until about 1:30. Did manage to get a hook in him. Measured 19" and back down the hole he went. Mow Biz came out and I got to visit with hi for a few. Packed it in around 3.

Nice seeing ya Dragin!
 Glad you made it back without issues.

On another note I don't think there are any rainbow trout in the part of newfound where I am right now... at least I haven't seen any or had bites.
although I think I remember one of Jiggin's videos saying he had a rainbow trout right beneath him when he was north of Mayhew in early season...
 I'm thinking about bumping back to Cummings to be closer to shore and I also had more action over there.  ???

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #407 on: Feb 21, 2017, 05:09 PM »
No not at Night. CH saw them too and wasn't sure what they were...i think she said 4 or 5 read lights. She was afraid that i was going to be abducted while sleeping out there Saturday night by Aliens.......as far as i know that didnt happen.

Hah...Jiggin, you'll never get abducted! Aliens wouldn't be able to keep you out of their cockpit while you showed them how to fly around Newfound! They'd spit you out like a bad clam...

Offline Brendog9

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ga head
« Reply #408 on: Feb 22, 2017, 07:50 AM »
I'm supposed to be heading up to Newfound this weekend to fish. Do you guys think the ice will survive these warm temps coming up?
Marking anything?

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #409 on: Feb 22, 2017, 07:54 AM »
I'm supposed to be heading up to Newfound this weekend to fish. Do you guys think the ice will survive these warm temps coming up?

Depends where you plan to go fishing but Yes the ice will be fine where is has been safe. Although warm during the day it is still cold out on the lake with the wind chill. Nights too for now.

It is suppose to rain this week / weekend so drilling holes will help the water to go back into the lake. It might pop the shore line.

Good luck!

Offline Brendog9

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ga head
« Reply #410 on: Feb 22, 2017, 08:17 AM »
Depends where you plan to go fishing but Yes the ice will be fine where is has been safe. Although warm during the day it is still cold out on the lake with the wind chill. Nights too for now.

It is suppose to rain this week / weekend so drilling holes will help the water to go back into the lake. It might pop the shore line.

Good luck!

Thanks Jiggin I appreciate the quick response. We'll be off of West Shore Road, but I wouldn't mind exploring some other new areas. Usually we bounce over to Sleepy Hollow to jig and set cusk traps. I've never ice fished down by Cummings before.
Marking anything?

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #411 on: Feb 22, 2017, 11:35 AM »
Thanks Jiggin I appreciate the quick response. We'll be off of West Shore Road, but I wouldn't mind exploring some other new areas. Usually we bounce over to Sleepy Hollow to jig and set cusk traps. I've never ice fished down by Cummings before.

Not sure how much ice there is at Sleepy Hollow, havent been there this season so be careful. I believe there is some ice but again not sure how much.
West Shore would be good, i keep hearing that shallow water this season is producing the bigger trout. Another spot might be off the boat launch out in deeper water but its a good walk to find deep water. Find the drop off. Be careful if going off the boat launch taking a left or going north...ice is thin around Hornets cove but i did see some folks fishing off of there.

Just thinking too, I believe the Wellington beach area is locked up pretty good. I havent checked the ice there but it freezes fairly quickly, park at the beach access and walk to the beach area. Find the drop off.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #412 on: Feb 22, 2017, 04:18 PM »
2/22/2017

Tippin and Laker Taker are out checking houses tonight. Unfortunately i have to work late today so i couldn't make it.

Just some updates from what i was told thus far:

Troutfreak your house is in deep water...up to your floor.

Dragin your fishing hole has opened up and close to your block. It sounded like you might want to bump your house before it gets swallowed.

Mowbizz your house is fine.

Scruffy's house should be bumped, in water.

Still waiting from the guys on other houses for updates.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #413 on: Feb 22, 2017, 04:24 PM »
Thanks for the report Jiggin!
We're most likely going to bump back to Cummings area tomorrow...
If anyone is going out there to get out of holes, give us a holler on the radio.
We'll help if needed.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #414 on: Feb 22, 2017, 04:30 PM »
If anyone is going out there to get out of holes, give us a holler on the radio.
We'll help if needed.

Dont forget Mowbizz, we have the Ice Shanty Gathering on March 18th and will do our NonDerby Derby on March 25th, usually held off the boat launch.
Then we are all pitching in helping each other to remove houses hopefully off of Wellington State Boat Launch on March 26th Sunday. If we can't take them off of Wellington State Launch, we will revert back to plan B which is at the foot of the lake.
Then that last week of March we will ride around cleaning up the messes left behind (and fishing too).

Hope your season isn't done yet.....

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #415 on: Feb 22, 2017, 04:36 PM »
Dragin pic of your house. Not as terrible as i thought but something to deal with soon with the rain and warm weather coming..

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #416 on: Feb 22, 2017, 04:48 PM »
Dont forget Mowbizz, we have the Ice Shanty Gathering on March 18th and will do our NonDerby Derby on March 25th, usually held off the boat launch.
Then we are all pitching in helping each other to remove houses hopefully off of Wellington State Boat Launch on March 26th Sunday. If we can't take them off of Wellington State Launch, we will revert back to plan B which is at the foot of the lake.
Then that last week of March we will ride around cleaning up the messes left behind (and fishing too).

Hope your season isn't done yet.....

Oh no...nowhere near "done" yet. Had more luck when I was at Cummings so I'm going to try there for a bit.
We'll be around for the duration!

Offline DRAGIN

• IceShanty Rookie
  • HERE FISHY. FISHY
« Reply #417 on: Feb 22, 2017, 05:18 PM »
Thanks for the up date. Will be checking it out tomorrow and decide whether to bump or just pull off. Hate to call it this early, so will probably move it.

Offline Jean doucette

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #418 on: Feb 22, 2017, 10:13 PM »
We'll help if needed.

Offline Jean doucette

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #419 on: Feb 22, 2017, 10:28 PM »
Hi mowbizz lakertaker here.  I highly recommend not heading south at this time. That's where all the snow went and looks very nasty. Head towards launch theirs a group of buoys on the way we call it the fingers very shallow next to a steep drop off. Try it there shallow rainbows. lakers on the drop off. Also there's a White House straight off the launch. Good friend of mine set up near him. As always introduce yourself. He's a great guy lots of lakers their to. Then your right their to pull it off if need be

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.