The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Kdrill owners chime in... driling issues.  (Read 13771 times)

Offline Fisherman-Andy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Kdrill owners chime in... driling issues.
« on: Jan 01, 2017, 06:46 PM »
I like to know if any Kdrill owners have issues during drilling?  Ive had mix results and have owned both the 6" and 8".

The 6" kdrill brand new out of box will not cut at all without some minimal down pressure so i returned it.  I got only like 15 holes in 24" ice and it drained the battery due to poor slow cutting.  I can double the holes cut easy with my lazer 6".

I did had an 8" kdrill which cut flawlessly without any slight down pressure (just the weight of the drill & clam plate alone on top), however I sold it cause I needed some extra cash during the summer.  Then I purchased another new 8" kdrill this winter and notice straight out of box that I does not cut at all unless I apply some slight or minimal down pressure.   Now ive heard both some say you need pressure and some don't?  Well I have had two very different results now and am scratching my head thinking something is defective?

Kdrill's own current manual does say you need to apply slight pressure and it will do the rest.   If I dont apply any pressure at all it just spins and wont grab ice.  However applying pressure works the drill harder and I feel you get less holes cut with it as it consumes more power to turn?  I also feel it seems to cut slower then my previous 8" kdrill which didnt have this issue.  I've also seen that the kdrill cutting head has had minimal design change from the center point, not sure if this is affecting it.  I am not against applying slight down pressure.  I just wont to know if anyone else has had mix or different results?

So does your kdrill cut with out any down pressure or do you need to apply some slight pressure for it to cut?

Offline legend

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Kdrill owners chime in... driling issues.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2017, 06:53 PM »
i believe " SLIGHT" downward pressure should not be a problem......i should be so lucky....
I am haunted by waters...

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2017, 07:07 PM »
You had something that cost $250 that you were happy with and then you sold it to get $200 and then later bought another of the exact same thing?

Whenever I am going to do something I think, would an idiot do that? And if they would, I do not do that thing.  D. Schrute
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2017, 07:20 PM »
he can raise his cholesterol at will.  and why would you want to raise your cholesterol at will so you can lower it. i love that guy he made that show.

Offline Fisherman-Andy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2017, 08:19 PM »
You had something that cost $250 that you were happy with and then you sold it to get $200 and then later bought another of the exact same thing?

Whenever I am going to do something I think, would an idiot do that? And if they would, I do not do that thing.  D. Schrute

Let me answer that question for you.  Deals can be had or made.  I purchased my original 8" Kdrill for $199, which i sold during the off season for $190.  My 6" for only $179.  My new 8" kdrill this winter for only $209.  Guess I am an idiot?  LOL...   :(

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2017, 08:56 PM »

The 6" kdrill will not cut at all without some minimal down pressure so i returned it.  I got only like 15 holes in 24" ice and it drained the battery due to poor slow cutting.  I can double the holes cut easy with my

X2. Returned my K Drill after trying it. Can get many more holes with my laser bit.
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2017, 09:37 PM »

I am glad it did not cost Andy much to sell his drill, but for someone to criticize him for selling it when he needed some cash (for what ever reason)... It must be nice to never have been in a position that you needed to sell something, especially something that is important to you, because you needed some cash... Maybe next time, he should ask you for some cash to hold him over, but I bet he would never do that...

Good luck with the auger!

luv2fish2

« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2017, 11:11 PM »
i've had both 6 and 8 " never had a problem with either both drilled without down pressure other than the weight of the drill/ plate , but the 6" was way easier on batteries ( if i had to do it over i would have stuck with the 6" )

Offline Bartb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 01, 2017, 11:18 PM »

Best quote ever!
I fish a lot....I catch a little.

Offline riverfisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 01, 2017, 11:43 PM »
X3 I also returned a 6" Kdrill after trying it. I can get about twice as many holes with my Nils 6" on one battery and three times faster.

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 01, 2017, 11:50 PM »
3rd year for my K-Drill 6, drill some figure 8 holes now and then.  No issues, well satisfied.
Bud

Offline ONTHLK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2017, 12:41 AM »
I've been using my 6" K-drill every day for the last 4 weeks. No problems at all.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2017, 08:27 AM »
You didn't say what drill you were using? I have been punching lots of holes with my 8" k drill and m18 fuel no problem and no clam plate. I have yet to run out a battery, but it is my first year with it and we only have 9" of ice so far. Yes I do need slight down pressure but not much. So far in my opinion it is one of the best things for ice fishing I have ever bought. It drills the ice about 1 inch per second and only weighs 10 Lbs. So far everyone who has seen me use it or tried it themselves is amazed.

Offline icehound67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2017, 09:29 AM »
X2

Offline Buttonbuckslayer!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 02, 2017, 07:11 PM »
I have a 8" on a clam plate with a Milwaukee and it's amazing.  It takes a little bit of downward pressure while it's spinning on the center blade before the chipper blades start to bite.  Once they dig in, it just rips straight though.  I had a 6" nils on the Milwaukee last year and I can't say the it was noticeably faster than my K-drill.  If yours isn't cutting right, I'd contact vexilar right away.  I'm sure they'll make it right.

Offline Fisherman-Andy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 02, 2017, 09:13 PM »
I have a 8" on a clam plate with a Milwaukee and it's amazing.  It takes a little bit of downward pressure while it's spinning on the center blade before the chipper blades start to bite.  Once they dig in, it just rips straight though.  I had a 6" nils on the Milwaukee last year and I can't say the it was noticeably faster than my K-drill.  If yours isn't cutting right, I'd contact vexilar right away.  I'm sure they'll make it right.

My brand new 8" kdrill definitely cuts, but not without applying constant slight/minimal down pressure.  If i let off and allow just the weight of the drill/clam plate alone it will just spin and not grab ice even if I already cut half way through. 

From the reviews on here some are saying they dont need to apply any slight pressure while others are saying you do.  And my previous Kdrill I know it cut without any slight down pressure only from the weight of the drill and clam plate.  That's why I made this post.

Offline ONTHLK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 02, 2017, 10:36 PM »
Copy that, give me 10 minutes, I'll go run downstairs to punch a hole.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #17 on: Jan 02, 2017, 10:38 PM »
If you think that little bit of down pressure is a issue on a setup that only weighs 10 Lbs. You should lug around my old jiffy mod. 30 at 36 Lbs. And see which one you are happier with.

Offline Fisherman-Andy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 02, 2017, 10:46 PM »
If you think that little bit of down pressure is a issue on a setup that only weighs 10 Lbs. You should lug around my old jiffy mod. 30 at 36 Lbs. And see which one you are happier with.

Post like this cracks me up.  Nothing to do what so ever with what has been asked per the original post.   

Offline ONTHLK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 02, 2017, 10:49 PM »
Ok, drilled the hole. Using the Milwaukee fuel with a 6" it took about 25lbs of down pressure to bite and complete the hole. 20" in 20 seconds. No pressure it just spins.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #20 on: Jan 02, 2017, 11:12 PM »
It took me maybe 2 holes to figure out it takes slight down pressure when I first used the 8" k drill. It is still the easiest power auger setup that I have ever used. I have never used a ice auger that didn't take some slight down pressure. Is that really a issue for you?

Offline Fisherman-Andy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 02, 2017, 11:18 PM »
It took me maybe 2 holes to figure out it takes slight down pressure when I first used the 8" k drill. It is still the easiest power auger setup that I have ever used. I have never used a ice auger that didn't take some slight down pressure. Is that really a issue for you?

Thanks for the feedback.  :)   Its not a matter of serious issue,  more of reasoning why my experiences are different and im seeing different results from other kdrill users.  I just want to know if this is how a kdrill should be performing correctly or is there something wrong or a defect on why its performing that way?

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #22 on: Jan 03, 2017, 12:34 AM »
The only way I can see is to compare it on the ice with someone else who has the same size k drill. It is possible you have a bad one or bad blades? My old jiffy mod 30 does not require much if any down pressure because it is so heavy to begin with it has built in down pressure.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 03, 2017, 07:59 AM »
I guess it’s possible that the blade angle is slightly different or maybe even a little sharper.     After doing a lot of research and observation, I’m fully convinced that a shaver type blade is a much faster setup and may give you more holes per battery, but there are a few instances in which shaver blades fall short such as dirty/sandy ice, overlapping holes for bigger fish, reopening old holes, and I also think they tend to put more overall torque on the drill, this is why I chose the KDrill.  I know I sacrificed some speed but I think it will be better in the long run.  Plus if the blade dulls I’m not completely out of commission.

Offline Northern_MN Outdoorsan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 03, 2017, 10:33 AM »
I own the 8" k drill with M18 Fuel drill. Cut holes for the first time all last weekend with it through about 14" of ice. The only pressure I put on the drill was just the pressure of my hands holing onto the drill. I could get about 25-30 holes per 5.0 ah battery. We did a drill off between the new Ion X and my 8" k drill and the k drill smoked the Ion X handily. The k drill made drilling easy and not a heavy pain in the a$$. I would recommend buying one to anybody.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 03, 2017, 01:35 PM »
From doing my research and watching videos, to me it appears that there might have been a couple revisions or designs.  The flighting looks different as well as the cover and color of foam collar,  but not sure about the blades.  Maybe Andy had 2 different versions??      Check out these 2 pages, they appear to be a bit different.   http://kdrillauger.com/    http://icefishingtoday.com/ice-fishing-products/k-drill-electric-ice-auger-system/   

Offline KurtHuber

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 03, 2017, 01:55 PM »
Couple things, but let's start with the fact that you're doing it wrong and *you know* you're doing it wrong...

No version of the K-drill needs a Clam Plate, so right there it tells me that you aren't using the correct drill - they specify the model number of the drill for the reason that it's essentially necessary to get the "right" experience.

The K-drill has a spike on it, it can't *not* grab into the ice...so I have no clue what you're doing.

For K-drill owners who bought the auger and got the correct drill, little to no downward pressure is necessary - it certainly isn't for my k-drill auger with attached Milwaukee Fuel M18 1/2".

So there's the answer to your question - you're doing it wrong.

Offline KurtHuber

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 03, 2017, 01:57 PM »
http://kdrillauger.com/     

This is the current version, the other site has the promo video which was produced with a prototype, I'd assume. I ordered from the second site and got the version from the first, so it's all good.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 03, 2017, 02:13 PM »
I think what Andy is saying is that its not pulling down by itself like a lot of augers will.    He has to keep pressure on it which will eventually kill the battery faster.    A lot of guys are running the KDrill on a Clam plate.  It it necessary?   Nope.   Is it wrong?   Also Nope.   

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #29 on: Jan 03, 2017, 02:55 PM »
This is the only type of auger drill bit I know that will pull itself down. But it is made for drill through wood.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.