Author Topic: Sylvan & Gull combo day  (Read 783 times)

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
Sylvan & Gull combo day
« on: Dec 31, 2016, 11:31 AM »
Yesterday decided to do both lakes - get a limit of whites at Sylvan and then move onto Gull for Pike and Perch.
Got setup at Sylvan.  Within 5 minutes I see a fish and it is a huge walleye.  I'm used to the 12-18 inchers as the norm.  This one was bigger...likely 4-5 lbs.  Had it on for a good fight and lost it at the bottom of the hole.  Got a good look.  I drop down thinking all the commotion might bring in a white but instead a monstrous fish comes in fast and grabs the hook.  I can clearly see the massive head and the length of this fish...a truly remarkable pike that I would say was above 20 lbs.  Had it on for about 5 seconds and the hook came out.  My heart was pounding, what a start!  Drop down again thinking there will be no whites around but in about 1 minute a huge white comes in a grabs the hook.  Fought it to the top of the hole and lost it.  I'm guessing 3 lbs...very rare for Sylvan.  I felt like it was in the land of the giants.  Over the next half hour I saw and hooked and did not land another 4 whites about the same size - between 2-3 lbs.  I'm used to the 1-1.5 lbers with the odd 2 or so.  I moved out deeper and instantly had another white come in and on.  Another 2-3 lber!  and lost it....  That was it for a while so I moved around.  Checked the watch after a bit and it as 10:30 a.m.  I was supposed to be limited and then head to Gull about now.  So moved back out deeper and finally was rewarded with the typical 1.5 lber.  5 minutes later, a 2nd one about the same size.  Give it another 5 and another huge white came in.  Had to work this one to get it going but it took the hook and I lost it again at the bottom of the hole.  Another 3 lber I'm guessing.   Also added the typical 14 inch walleye for a final fish.  If don't know if it was just this trip but if the whites are going to be averaging this size, I might have to make more white trips to Sylvan.

Got to Gull around 12:30 p.m.  Got setup and turned on the cam and there is a perch staring back.  Love it.  Got setup for an afternoon of camera fishing.  Within 10 minutes of playing with 7-8 inch perch a sizable pike came in.  Dropped the jig and minnow and it was game on.  Turned out to be 64.5 cms and I came for them specifically so, added to the keep total.  For the afternoon I caught a ton of perch - all 5-7 inches - all went back.  Saw maybe a couple that were pushing 9-10 inches.  Caught about 6-7 hammer handles.   Also saw a monster sucker as well as several pike that I couldn't hook that were well over 5 lbs...maybe 7 or so.  Later in the afternoon a huge burbot swims by so I drop down and whack the bottom and it immediately turns and comes at the minnow.  Took one rub, I jigged a bit, and then it did a 180 and left fast...sigh.   

One of those days where if you landed the bigger fish, would have been epic.  Even still, that has me thinking more about the double shot combo day again.  That was so much fun!

Pics:

Sure found a fishy looking spot on Gull just off a weed bed.

Offline Icyatc

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Sylvan & Gull combo day
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2016, 02:09 PM »
That camera shot is much clearer than the one I had at legion camp. It was quite murky there.
Well done.

Offline Fish-Taco

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2016, 05:13 PM »
What a day! I haven't had one of those days in a while! Congrats!

I have been struggling to locate whitefish down south here and it's driving me bonkers. I haven't even seen many swim by the hole.  Only managed to get 1 so far this year grrrr   

Oh well I guess I'll just have to keep heading out and trying.... gee darn haha

Offline swampy45

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • going for the record books
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2016, 10:54 PM »
sounds like a solid day SNAP!
coffee- do stupid things faster, with more energy.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.