Author Topic: Tip down rods.....  (Read 6932 times)

Offline buffalohonker

• IceShanty Rookie
Tip down rods.....
« on: Dec 30, 2016, 08:57 PM »
Hey guys,  I am interested in making my own tip downs and I see a lot of guys use just the simple wood handle rod with plastic reel. Where do I find those? Thanks in advance!

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Re: Tip down rods.....
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2016, 10:04 PM »
Here are a source for the rods.  Less than 21" seem to be too short. Over 26" seem to be too long.

http://www.schooleyicetackle.com/poles.html

Making  your own stands are really easy, so, if you need some info ~ just ask.     ;)2

Have you done a search? Upper left on the home page.

Tom

Offline buffalohonker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2016, 04:49 AM »
I did a quick look for a search tab yesterday but couldn't find it on my phone screen! Got it now! Thank you sir

Offline BIGFISH

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2016, 01:00 PM »
  these are mine no rod needed   very simple to make and cheap and very easy to use compact I use these on lake erie for perch  they work great put on a perch rig and send them down

Offline DG2840

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2017, 03:47 PM »
So many variations. Mine are made from PVC

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2017, 04:34 PM »
Welcome to Iceshanty, DG2840.      :thumbsup: :clap:

And Happy New Year.     ;)2

If your tipdowns will trip and stay down if a dragon fly lands on the tiptop, they're perfect for finicky/sensitive fishes.

Would you be interested in showing some pride by adding a location to your profile?      :unsure:

Good luck out there.

Tom

Offline staggerin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2017, 06:24 PM »
Mine are 1/2" dowel rod with a schooley reel. I like to hand line ,so the reels are just line holders.
Look at me I can walk on water

Offline CastmasterGold

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2017, 07:44 PM »
I just get the HT little jigger rods that are 25".  here is the tip down bases I use.  they lock the jigging pole into the base for easy storage and it also protects the pole.  simple and compact.

https://youtu.be/DUNeUPoKbiY

Josh

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2017, 08:38 PM »
CastmasterGold,
                        What method do you use to fine tune the balance of the pole for sensitive fish?

Thank you.     ;)2

Offline CastmasterGold

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2017, 01:31 PM »
I just change the angle of the support to change the tip sensitivity, as you close it the sensitivity / resistance decreases (harder to tip).  The opposite is also true, you can open it up so that it will trigger with the slightest touch.  Also because it has a "spring" bobber on the end you can extend that for a little more length which also changes the sensitivity.  The factory spring bobber tavel for these rods is about 1-2" but if you slide the shrink wrap up you could get 3-4" travel.

there are some different types of jigging rods out there that have a straight handle where you could do the washer and o-ring trick if you wanted to.  this base is customizable to just about any nail/pin style tip down.

I'm open to any ideas for improvement :). The day I did the video we caught everything from largemouth to crappie and gills and lost something else that was big ;)

Thanks,
Josh

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2017, 01:52 PM »
Thank you for the info.

It appears the axle pin/rod pivot is rigid, viewing the video.  I will guess that's best when using live bait, as we can't. 

From your catch, I'd say you have a very nice set-up.     :thumbsup:

One thing I didn't see was a safety line from the rod to the base, 'cause stuff happens.     ;)2

The compactness/rod protection is a real plus.     :clap:

Offline CastmasterGold

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2017, 04:13 PM »
you bring up a good point on the safety line.  probably wouldn't hurt to have it but shouldn't really be needed.  the reason I say this is because as the fish pulls on it (pulling drag) it is actually pulling the rod into the base/seat.  I've seen other tip-down bases that it would be a must because as the base closes the rod comes off the rests and goodbye rod.  I've debated putting nail heads on the bottom "hinge" area to act like ice cleats to keep the whole apparatus from sliding but don't think it is needed.  If you keep the drag tight i might put the nails in to keep the base from sliding but you would have to have it fairly tight to need them.  I think the tip-downs that have fixed line (no spool or drag) probably would need the nails to act like cleats.

Josh

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #12 on: Jan 15, 2017, 08:07 PM »
I've never had a rod come off the base, sorta like the fact I still have a fire extinguisher but, have never had a fire, ha. 

My bases are a bit wider and the rod pivot is 1/8" solid aluminum wire glued into the rod balance point and about 4 1/2" long/wide. It can be carefully bent to fine tune the balance point, thus negating additional weights.

They all seem to work very well and almost never miss.

Thanks for sharing your design, Josh.    :clap: :bow:

Tom

Offline CastmasterGold

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2017, 07:39 PM »
Thanks Idahogator :)

I took a few minutes to put together some dimensions so folks can build a few.  I'm going to make a few maybe during this week but this time out of red oak for the fun of it.  I was able to get a washer over the handle of the rod with some O-rings to hold it in place for the future if I'm running heavy sinkers fishing deep water.  but I probably won't need them for the most part.

A little tweak I would make is for the tip compartment make the bottom ply / lauan a little longer so it makes it easier to guide the tip into the box/compartment.

I put a few more pics on my photobucket for reference

Thanks,
Josh

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #14 on: Jan 22, 2017, 07:53 PM »
Josh, are those thin cross pieces from door skin?   

Offline CastmasterGold

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 22, 2017, 08:06 PM »
I used what I think was something like 8 mm Lauan.  it was fairly cheap, think like $3 for 2'X4'.  Probably wouldn't hurt to use 1/4 or 1/2 ply but I was going for light.  they are stapled and glued and surprisingly strong.  will see how long they last without paint on them ;).  Probably would hold up better if I soaked them in Thomson's water seal.  Had them out today which was in the 50's with some water on top of the ice and did great.  Will keep ya posted if they don't work out.

Josh

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #16 on: Jan 22, 2017, 08:10 PM »
Thanks.  Nice photo.     :thumbsup: :clap:   Oh, very nice bass !     :bow:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.