Author Topic: My ice fishing reports for 2016 / 2017.  (Read 1887 times)

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
My ice fishing reports for 2016 / 2017.
« on: Dec 30, 2016, 02:17 PM »
Hi Guys,
Well, another ice fishing season is upon us with all the fun,excitement and challenges that go along with it. 
Good luck to all, this ice fishing season. :icefish:

My first trip out was on Dec. 27th to my usual spot at Fishing Lake.
With the cold Dec. we have had so far, I was hoping the ice was nice and thick and the fish might be biting.

I started at 2:40pm and fished until 5:00pm.

There were no other anglers out in that area, but I did see a few shacks in the distance near the creek mouth.

It was a cloudy afternoon at  - 10 deg C / 14 deg F warming to - 7 deg C / 19.4 deg F at dark. The wind was from the S and kept things on the cold side.

Getting onto the lake was tricky, the wind blew good sized drifts of snow along the shoreline and up the berm.
There was just a bit of snow on the ice, but now, there is a pressure ridge running the length of the shoreline.  Even if a vehicle got through the snow it may not be able to cross the ridge that has formed. :blink:
I decided to just walk out and fish close to shore.

I drilled a series of holes and found the ice to be a consistent 21" thick, "yes!".

My set rod went in first, and, while I was setting up the underwater camera I heard a thud.  I turned to see my rod holder tipped over and just the handle of my rod sticking out of the hole. I ran over to find the rod hanging on by just it's reel handle.  Wow, I almost lost that rod! I was pleasantly surprised to feel that I still had a fish on, so, after a bit of a fight my first fish of the season is iced, not 5 min into the day. ;D

It turned out to be this pike.

I re-baited, but had to use another rod - that one was completely iced up. Good thing I bring a few extras. ;)2

I get another bite a bit later on in the same hole, but, the fish is off before I get to it.
It looked like the fish took the bait, but, not the hook.

Part way through the day, while waiting for another bite, I take a close up of one of the more unique ice heaves along the pressure ridge.
This one has thick ice pushed up into the shape of a small igloo. :o

It was big enough to fit inside, however, I wouldn't recommend it,lol :woot:

Further down the beach a permanent dock was pushed right up into the air.

There were also large rocks frozen right into the ice along with the dock. :blink:

The next bit of action was at sunset. This is when I started seeing fish on camera.
First to show up was a decent walleye. It came in quite fast, fins sticking up and all. It swam around the lure and gave it 2 taps before biting.
Once it hit it just sat there and did not move at all with the lure in it's mouth. We both waited and did not move for what felt like a long time. Finally with the fish refusing to move
I gingerly felt for weight and set the hook. That made the walleye move. It shot off, stirring up a cloud of silt and sand. I fought the fish back under me and just as I get it to the bottom of the ice it turns and the hook pulls out, sheesh. ::)

A while after that I have a pike strike. In the dark screen I just see a flash of a fish and it's on. :)

This one is slightly smaller than the last one.

Just before I pack up I see one more pike check out my bait and then leave.

I pack up before it gets too dark to see.
With the cloudy skies it was dark in no time.

All in all I was pleased with my start to the season. :)
It's suppose to get cold again sometime soon, so I hope to get back out before then.

WW

Offline chevy rotbox

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: My ice fishing reports for 2016 / 2017.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2016, 05:12 PM »
great pics, thank you ;D
retired let the fishing begin

Offline icefishman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2016, 08:44 PM »
Looks like fun!!
Catching Any?

Offline DiamondDave

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2016, 09:37 PM »
Great report, great pictures. Thank you.

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2017, 04:55 PM »
Your welcome DiamondDave & chevy rotbox. :)
You bet icefisherman, it's always fun. ;)

Hi Guys,
I was out for the 2nd time this season on Dec 31st, (New Years eve).

I tried in the same general area as before, at Fishing Lake, where I ice fished from 2:10pm until 5:00pm.

It was a cloudy afternoon with a fair wind from the N. The temp was -10 deg C / 14 deg F.

My first bit of action was on my set rod. I saw it jerk a few times, and then, bend right down to the ice. I ran for it, but the bait was stripped off the lure, so, I re baited and went back to my jigging.

The next bit of action came when I saw a pike coming in fast from left field, and blast my Freedom minnow spoon. This one was hooked well, and, I got it all the way up the hole, only to have it break off one of the points on the small treble hook, and, get away, "aw man".  ::)
I have since replaced the smaller treble hook with a bit larger single hook. Hopefully it won't alter the action, but have the strength to hold.
By the way, the Freedom minnow spoons have good action when jigged and are quite flashy on the fall. :)

The third time I was lucky and was able to ice the pike that hit my set rod. :tipup:

I also had a bit larger pike come in just after sunset It took it's time, leaving and returning 6 times before finally deciding that my lure was not really what it wanted after all.

With the dangerously cold weather that we are experiencing at the moment, I am not sure when I will be out next, but, hopefully soon.

WW

Offline reddog11

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lunker Lewie is the son of Adirondack Lew.
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2017, 08:40 PM »
Nice
Master Laker taker.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2017, 12:49 AM »
Nice.....Thanks 4 sharing !!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.