Author Topic: Helix 7 Ice kit  (Read 7486 times)

Offline dakotaj

• IceShanty Rookie
Helix 7 Ice kit
« on: Dec 30, 2016, 07:31 AM »
Just picked up the kit to run my Helix 7 on the ice.  Was curious if anyone else had this unit and what they thought of it.  For the price and reviews I couldn't pass it up.  It seems to have a ton of settings and features that will help dial it in.  I have only had it on a small pond with 6' of water and seemed to mark fish good.  Thanks for the input! 

Offline BRIZ

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Helix 7 Ice kit
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2016, 09:18 AM »
Their absolute JUNK! ill do you a solid, I'll trade you an FL-8 straight up.   Just bring it with you on the trip, we'll swap then....  LMAFO  :)
I'd rather be lucky than good!

Offline dakotaj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2016, 09:57 AM »
HAHA Thanks for the kind words "BRIZ", appreciate the input..

Offline rundrave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2017, 04:04 PM »
I am using a Helix 5 for the first time this winter. So far still trying to get it dialed in but I am impressed so far.

I havent picked up the ice ducer for mine yet but probably will to make run and gun a little easier

Offline chrispeters

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2017, 05:33 PM »
I bought the Helix 7 to mount on my 4 wheeler because the GPS is amazing to use. The water offset is by far my most favorite feature. My wife and I both have FLX 28 for fishing at the hole. But I do use the flasher feature for looking for fish on my way to a way point. So I would say I am very impressed with this machine. 

Offline dakotaj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2017, 08:47 AM »
I think the GPS will make it worth it for me.  Lots of waypoints that I have already saved to my unit.  I have an ICE 35 for backup so I wont be to lost if I cant dial 'er in.  Have you used the new Chart select?  I currently have Lakemaster chips for the water I fish and they seem to be fairly accurate so far.  Didn't know if these new items were worth the purchase since it's a per lake purchase.

Offline ktrampel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2017, 12:56 PM »
I think I'm gonna convert my 5 into a backup ice unit.

Offline Keng8554

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2017, 01:04 PM »
I am using a Helix 5 for the first time this winter. So far still trying to get it dialed in but I am impressed so far.

I havent picked up the ice ducer for mine yet but probably will to make run and gun a little easier

I have a Helix 5 SI/GPS that I have adapted from soft water fishing. I bought the ice ducer from amazon for a good price. It's not as clean to use as a dedicated flasher, but I think it just takes some dialing in. But the huge bonus is having way points that I marked all summer. Also I use autochart and have topography for otherwise unmapped smaller bodies of water. I walk around with my GPS up and set up over the way point.  I've only been out once this year and it put me on the crappie right away. So, the GPS put me on the fish while I worked on dialing in the flasher.

Offline mbaiter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Apr 27, 2017, 11:10 AM »
dad got one this winter, and we had it side by side to my fl-12 with a tri beam on the fl, and its not even close on the flasher. the helix was about 1.2 seconds slower in reaction to the jig moving. the fl 0.02 seconds.  Plus the chip that you buy doesn't have half the lakes it should for NE SD. I'm talking lakes over 1100 acres that were always lakes.  And if they come with a update for the chip, you have to pay full price of 100+ again!!, what a joke,, i do like it for the boat though.  But the FL wasn't designed for boat.  Oh and the colors on the helix 5 on the flasher are horrible!! i've adjusted it according to hummingbird  and it didn't help one bit, very hard to tell your lure from bottom because of the slow reaction of the beam.  Oh and the soft bag and mounting bracket for ice fishing is horrible, no place for your ducer line.  I wouldn't buy if for ice fishing at all. No need for mark point of gps either, cell phones have that now.  was fishing in 15-18 ft of water.

Offline rundrave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Apr 27, 2017, 12:01 PM »
Your experience may very but I found the exact opposite with my unit but like others have mentioned it did take some time to get it dialed in. what mode were you running in? ice mode or advanced?

Menu is like this:
Menu-Setup-User mode advanced; Menu-Sonar-Ice Fishing Mode on; Menu-Sonar-Digital Depth Source-2D Element

You should be using the to 2d element when not using the si/di transducer. I dont think you have to use ice fishing mode, however. Ice fishing mode increases the sensitivity and updates the circular flasher view but that's it

auto depth or manual depth? did you adjust the depth for the flasher? When you are on the flasher screen, hit menu and adjust the depth. This was an issue for me when I first used it

what is your sensitivity level at?

Plus the chip that you buy doesn't have half the lakes it should for NE SD. I'm talking lakes over 1100 acres that were always lakes.  And if they come with a update for the chip, you have to pay full price of 100+ again!!

I bought a version from cabelas that came with the navionics+, I was able to see plenty of lakes in SD and IA. did you put the card in a computer and login and register through the navionics site? I was able to just pick and choose what areas I wanted on the card got them uploaded and refreshed on the card multiple times.

Oh and the colors on the helix 5 on the flasher are horrible!! i've adjusted it according to hummingbird 

The color pallet is pretty big, lots of different options, I haven't had any issues. Brain Bosdahl has lots of videos on his facebook page dialing in and getting the helix units set to your liking.

No need for mark point of gps either, cell phones have that now. 
I used to feel the same way then a couple years ago I was on poinsett. parked truck at lakeview and took atv and shack on lake. Front came through after dark, started to rain hard on the ice and it was so foggy I couldnt see more than a few feet in front of me. Phone was useless because I couldnt get it wet. Took me forever to get to the right location on shore. Same thing happend to me this year on, now I just run the helix on the atv and dont have any worries about getting it wet.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.