Author Topic: Gulp  (Read 4285 times)

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
Re: Gulp
« Reply #30 on: Jan 12, 2017, 05:01 PM »
Leaky jars: When you open a jar, just peel the seal back half way. When the lid goes back on it helps reseal it. It still may leak, but not as bad.
I tried that still leaked so now I do that and put them in a zip lock bag.
there are leak proof jars that you can buy, they are the same size as the jar the bait comes in, sor they would fit in the bait jar carrying case but for the price they want for them I will put up with a little juice in the bag.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline firstcast 2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 12, 2017, 05:06 PM »
Do the jars freeze?

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #32 on: Jan 12, 2017, 05:15 PM »
Ten degrees no. That is the coldest I have fished so far this season.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 16, 2017, 10:02 PM »
Do the jars freeze?

Cold enough for long enough and they will, though it seems more impervious to freezing than regular water. I was out at around 11F on a bucket with no heat or shelter for 4 hours with a flat pack of Gulp Alive 3" Minnows sitting on the ice. The lid froze shut by the time I came off the ice, and there were chunks of ice floating in the liquid.
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline Yoopergirl

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice chicks DO exist!!
« Reply #34 on: Jan 17, 2017, 04:27 AM »
I tried that still leaked so now I do that and put them in a zip lock bag.... I will put up with a little juice in the bag.
Keep it safe! JDL

X2  A baggie works...if you remember to zip it closed!  My rod case is pretty rank!! 

In the summer I outfish guys using a gulp minnow on a jig spinner while their using live bait on a jighead for walleyes.  It works!

Chute82

« Reply #35 on: Jan 17, 2017, 07:32 AM »

Offline Elrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 17, 2017, 09:35 AM »
Right now I am using Powerbait (still Berkeley so I lump it in with Gulp) Honey worms (imitation wax worms) on jigs and spoons as I would use live waxies.

On Tuesday I had one under a VMC tingler spoon. I could see small fish nipping on the flasher but the powerbait held up and then a massive crappie smashed it. Only fish of the day though... I only had about 20 minutes out on the ice after work.

Gulps work well for me, but have to agree with Bearnoob, the powerbait honeyworms are the absolute bomb. I have caught a ton of fish on them, either bare hook or tipping the treble on a lure. Have been my go to panfish bait since I picked some up this summer

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Jan 17, 2017, 10:47 AM »
Got tired of the leaking so bought this

http://www.planomolding.com/fishing/stowaway-utility-boxes/liqua-bait-locker-system/liqua-bait-lockertm-bottle

But do any of these solutions keep the stick off your fingers?   Man o man that stuff stinks.  Every time I use it I am reminded of the story about what the blind man says when he is walking past the fish market.

I have great success with the red Waxies which are more maggot sized then waxie sized.  Couldn't find the red at any stores this year.  I had to dig the last three bags from a clearance bin at the Berkley outlet store in Spirit Lake.  Not sure if they discontinued the red or what, I found lots of other colors.
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Jan 17, 2017, 01:50 PM »
I do like the Gulp 1" Minnows. But I really likethe Berkeley Honey Worms. Get them in Red, Yellow and Natural. They stay soft and don't dry out. They last forever. Hard to find them in stores anymore since Gulp showed up.
jbird68

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 17, 2017, 02:00 PM »
Well wish I could share your success...3 "minnows,minnow heads, 1"leach, grubs all no go for me...I am trying to be objective about my experience

Offline Elrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 17, 2017, 02:33 PM »
Well wish I could share your success...3 "minnows,minnow heads, 1"leach, grubs all no go for me...I am trying to be objective about my experience

maybe just a confidence thing?

some of my biggest perch, walleye, smallmouths and bluegills have all come off of gulp baits (3" minnow x2, 4" leech and 1" minnow respectively).  I don't know what your approach with them is, but alot of times my best success with the gulp baits has been when I have been deadsticking them. For the most part I've found other baits to be more effective when being worked actively.

Offline greenhornet1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Jan 17, 2017, 07:40 PM »
juice on hands makes that lunch sandwich even more special.

Offline fishm_n

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 17, 2017, 09:08 PM »
Ok ...I have been fishing a long time and have had very little success with Gulp. I have found that, contrary to their marketing, live bait out fishes it most of the time...even when I compare tipped lures. Curious as to other anglers findings.
Tight lines and happy holidays

For me gulp waxies meet or beat the real thing and spikes most of the time.   But sometimes all they want is the real thing

Offline fishm_n

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 17, 2017, 09:09 PM »
gulp 1" minnows are killer on crappie, perch, trout.  try with small jighead or dropshot through ice

What color minnow works for you?

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Jan 17, 2017, 09:16 PM »
I seem to buy gulp every year and bring it with me. The 1" in many colors along with the gulp maggots. Once ive found fish I would switxh to gulp so I wouldnt have to rebait so often and theyve never done well for me. The jars also always leak...

Offline Fishy Fishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Jan 17, 2017, 09:53 PM »
Gulp maggots have always worked well for me.  I use them instead or with real maggots

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Jan 18, 2017, 10:54 AM »
I do like the Gulp 1" Minnows. But I really likethe Berkeley Honey Worms. Get them in Red, Yellow and Natural. They stay soft and don't dry out. They last forever. Hard to find them in stores anymore since Gulp showed up.

Fleet Farm still stocks them.
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline JohnnyO19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Jan 18, 2017, 11:22 AM »
Has anyone tipped a jigging rap with the head of a 3in gulp minnow, like you would with a real minnow? Sometimes live minnows are difficult for me to get ahold of here. I have used gulp minnows and leeches of all sizes through the open water, it works :-)

Offline fishm_n

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Jan 21, 2017, 10:30 PM »
Today, the gulp white maggots saw a lot of action but I think the gulp minnows would have been awsome too.    What colors do you guys use in the 1"?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.