Author Topic: Gulp  (Read 4281 times)

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Gulp
« on: Dec 29, 2016, 09:29 PM »
Ok ...I have been fishing a long time and have had very little success with Gulp. I have found that, contrary to their marketing, live bait out fishes it most of the time...even when I compare tipped lures. Curious as to other anglers findings.
Tight lines and happy holidays

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Gulp
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2016, 09:35 PM »
I catch most of my fish using Gulp. All seasons. I do use live spikes or waxies ice fishing on occasion, but Gulp 1" minnows are probably the most productive.

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2016, 10:18 PM »
Ok why I am not surprised......do you suspend the Gulp minnows from a dropper rig under a rattle spoon or attach right to triple of a lure?...chartreuse or natural color?...I am willing to try...looking for a productive specifically for jigging g walleye

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2016, 10:29 PM »
I have a couple thoughts on the subject.

I have mixed luck that is not consistent from season to season. I have had seasons where Gulp outfishes anything else 2 to 1. The very next year, I may as well have a bare hook fishing the same spots with the same bait. I've also had bargain bin Walmart plastic minnows that catch nothing one year and are unbeatable the next.

In general, I find that powerbait often outfishes gulp.

Sometimes, even when live bait is catching more than gulp/powerbait/other plastics, I find that I spend more time fishing and less time re-baiting the hook with the plastics.
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline helimpd124

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2016, 10:46 PM »
Open water i use gulp or other plastics pretty much exclusively. I will use live crawlers if i take my daughter bluegill fishing. On the ice its opposite..almost live bait exclusively. This year I'm trying more gulp/plastics

Offline BCAngler1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2016, 02:04 AM »
Ice fishing and Open water both I use a buckshot rattle spoon with gulp maggots in pink, and also tip my bro bugs and fiskas with the same. I Always have great luck!!!  @)

Offline Scupbaron

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2016, 05:01 AM »
gulp 1" minnows are killer on crappie, perch, trout.  try with small jighead or dropshot through ice

Offline Icemole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2016, 06:19 AM »
 Rather - B... I've had pretty poor results with "Gulp" too. I bought the 1" minnow in chart. and one of the natural colors, tried them in the spring for crappie. I fished them plain and tipped on a small bucktail - with and without a float - Nothing. Yet I caught crappie on small twister type jigs(including power bait - not fresh LOL), small tube jigs and bucktails - sometimes tipped with a crappie nugget(these I love) sometimes not.

I thought they might have been too small, so I ordered the 2.5"  in chart. to try in the fall. Not a lot better than the 1" - in fact the one day a guy 10' up the shoreline was pulling in crappie every other cast. I caught nothing until I switched to a chart twister.

I did finally catch a fish on the 2.5" chart. ones though. We were over at a local lake fishing for hybrid/stripers which weren't co-operating with our run + gun approach using standard baits. So after umpteen casts I switched to the "Gulp" and my crappie pole figuring on catching a sunny or two along the bank. 10 casts in I had a tap-tap but he didn't take it. Cast back in the spot tap-tap, fish on bent my rod over double after chasing down the fish(6lb line) we found a 10-12lb hybrid striper on my jig. Still my only catch on "Gulp" .... but that was the only fish out of that school that ate we went back over them several times both with "Gulp" on.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2016, 06:30 AM »
Just started using the 1" minnow this open water season. fishing in a multi species lake. drop shot with the minnow, worm under a slip float. Gulp out performed the worm at least that day. Main thing about the gulp stuff is the jars leak no matter what I have tried.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Bartb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2016, 07:16 AM »
I have never had much luck with fake bait.

Best luck is with just a minnow head.
I fish a lot....I catch a little.

Chute82

« Reply #10 on: Dec 30, 2016, 07:36 AM »
Song comes to mind "ain't nothing like the real thing".

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 30, 2016, 07:47 AM »
Great input...based on experience not just hunches! Thank guys keep the discussion going...I typically use live bait but when I am in a pinch or there is a bait shortage I will use it begrudgingly because of poor past experience..I try the 1"minnows.  Anyone have success using them tipped on a trebble of a rattle spoon?...if so dangling up and down or hooked so they lay horizontal?

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Dec 30, 2016, 08:37 AM »
I use it all seasons and use it almost every trip.  The stuff works.

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 30, 2016, 09:01 AM »
It's a useful tool to have.  I bought a bunch of gulp when it first came out and it didn't impress so it collected dust.  A couple of years ago I was after late ice perch and smaller fish were going crazy on waxworms, chunks of minnow, and wigglers.  I figured it was dumb wasting "good" bait on undersized fish so I dug out a jar of pink gulp maggots thinking that I'd save the good stuff for the next day.  Loaded up a jigging rap and it was slammed by a 12" incher.  Drop my line back down and an 11" took it.  The live bait that was still in the water was getting bites from the same smaller fish.  Put gulp on all three of my rods and limited out on 11"-13" fish within 30 minutes.  From that day forward it has always been in my rotation.  Somedays gulp is the way to go, other days it isn't.  I wouldn't completely give up on it. 

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Dec 30, 2016, 09:05 AM »
Good when those lil bait stealers are in abundance ...and sometimes its the only thing that will work .Keep it in my arsenal ...I think its a gateway bait to plastic from live bait  ;D ;D ;D
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline RIMainuh

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cold nuf for ya?
« Reply #15 on: Dec 30, 2016, 09:09 AM »
Wow Kinda funny this opened up today. Just bought some GULP gear that was on clearance at my local Dicks Sporting Goods. The white I got, look kinda like waxies. I'll give them a shot once Ice comes in here in R.I. I also bought a multi pack with 8 different colors and a couple different Jig head sizes. I'll let you know how it works out.  :tipup:
Chepachet....The Alaska of Rhode Island

Offline Cbass123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 30, 2016, 09:27 AM »
What's everyone's favorite presentation with Gulp?  I've tried the 1" minnows on a small jig before without much luck.  Sorta gave up on it after that.

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 30, 2016, 09:31 AM »
What's everyone's favorite presentation with Gulp?  I've tried the 1" minnows on a small jig before without much luck.  Sorta gave up on it after that.

Right now I am using Powerbait (still Berkeley so I lump it in with Gulp) Honey worms (imitation wax worms) on jigs and spoons as I would use live waxies.

On Tuesday I had one under a VMC tingler spoon. I could see small fish nipping on the flasher but the powerbait held up and then a massive crappie smashed it. Only fish of the day though... I only had about 20 minutes out on the ice after work.
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 30, 2016, 11:46 AM »
Anyone else have trouble keeping the gulp juice from leaking out of the jar?  Once its open I can't get it to seal up. 

Offline helimpd124

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 30, 2016, 12:22 PM »
I put my jars in ziplock bags to help with that

Anyone else have trouble keeping the gulp juice from leaking out of the jar?  Once its open I can't get it to seal up.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #20 on: Dec 30, 2016, 12:23 PM »
Have not had a lot of luck with it ice fishing, but I rely on it open water.  Especially for walleyes, stripers and smallmouth bass.

Offline rusty go0se

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 30, 2016, 01:44 PM »
Ice fishing I tend to exclusively use live bait and plastics for open water. However I bought some gulp minnow heads to try for ice this year. Hoping to have some success
"Anything free is worth saving up for"

Offline madewitt4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GO BIG OR GO HOME
« Reply #22 on: Dec 30, 2016, 03:54 PM »
I have had great experiences fishing warm water. I used the gulp maggots last year. I caught fish on them tipped on my jigs but I do just as well without them though
Fish on!!

Offline Bumski

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 30, 2016, 04:14 PM »
Berkley makes Gulp containers that seal......Fairly cheap....Smaller Peanut Butter jars work well too..... ;D 

Offline Mncrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 30, 2016, 06:12 PM »
In the summer yes. Winter not so much
Just a teen who loves the outdoors

Offline browntrout60

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 30, 2016, 07:21 PM »
I've used the three inch minnows on a jig head ran the hook through the nose and had it come out the back. Trout where i was slammed them every time.  Especially browns.
Gettin while the Gettin's Good

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 11, 2017, 08:18 PM »
Call me a s7cker...went and bought gulp alive in that flat jar 3" minnowso and some chartreuse maggots......and still no luck will continue to try using different applications but have to say wax worms and minnows live and dead are from my experience winning 10 to zip...FYI I fish for panfish,trout,walleye

Offline WalleyeAdventurer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 11, 2017, 08:52 PM »
Never had luck on it.  With that said when the perch are biting everything I'm sure it would probably work.  I'll try deadsticking it under a live minnow the next time I go out.  It can't hurt to try I guess.
DILLY DILLY

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 12, 2017, 02:03 AM »
Last Friday was live bait tip-up day chasing perch primarily to pin down location and movement of schools.  Saturday with 30mph wind gusts and air temps around 0 tip-ups wern't going to happen.  Camped in a location that was ferreted out the day before and set up my hub with two rods.  One had a large dead sticked minnow, the other had a 2 inch Gulp Emerald Shad.  The dead stick was the canary in the cave.  When that started bobbing I'd jig the Gulp.  3/4 of the fish were caught on the Gulp, the others on the live minnow.  The live minnow would've worked just as well but why go through live bait that can love to see another day? 

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 12, 2017, 08:51 AM »
Leaky jars: When you open a jar, just peel the seal back half way. When the lid goes back on it helps reseal it. It still may leak, but not as bad.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.