Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: New here and to ice fishing (kinda)  (Read 1474 times)

Offline seiowa

• IceShanty Rookie
New here and to ice fishing (kinda)
« on: Dec 29, 2016, 06:26 PM »
Hey all just joined the site, and this is my 3rd year ice fishing. I had been as a kid a few times but a few years ago I started getting out there. Until this year I was a "wait for a nice day and bring a 5 gallon bucket" guy. I have since bought a shelter and better poles. Hoping our ice stays a while now that I don't have to be so selective in when I go out! I am located in Southeast Iowa but have lived all over Eastern Iowa north to south. Besides ice fishing I like trout fishing, fishing for walleye, duck hunting, rabbit hunting, and turkey hunting.

*If there is a sub forum specifically for new intros, feel free to move this, I didn't see one but I apologize if I missed it.*

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: New here and to ice fishing (kinda)
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2016, 06:34 PM »
Welcome! Glad you found us.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2016, 06:38 PM »
Welcome to the site, have a good and safe season.

Offline Trump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2016, 06:53 AM »
Welcome seiowa where abouts are ya we'll have to hit some of these untapped, spoil ya quick, hey there's another 10" gill farm ponds coming up. I'm west of mt.p about 15. 

Offline seiowa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2016, 09:15 AM »
Morning Trump, I am familiar with the Mt P area, used to hunt down there and around New London. I fish now all around eastern Iowa but mostly from Washington up to maybe Macbride if I'm ambitious, fish a little around Muscatine. Haven't made it real far south yet, got good ice down your way?

Offline Trump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2016, 09:28 AM »
Got ya our ice down here is a little sketchy yet my pond thawed around the edges still has 5 or so but the frost went out and made it loose bigger bodies I haven't even messed with I heard belva deer had some open spots yet fishing at palo today just because I want to be annoyed by little perch and eyes give it a couple weeks and hit me up I'll take you to a couple fun ponds

Offline Frozen Bonez

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2016, 09:34 AM »
Was on Belva Deer the other day. Dam area not so good. Open spots. West end by boat ramp has good ice. Around 6 -7 inches. Dam area may be froze by now.

Offline Trump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2016, 05:35 PM »
Thanks for the update bonez

Offline seiowa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2016, 05:59 PM »
Got ya our ice down here is a little sketchy yet my pond thawed around the edges still has 5 or so but the frost went out and made it loose bigger bodies I haven't even messed with I heard belva deer had some open spots yet fishing at palo today just because I want to be annoyed by little perch and eyes give it a couple weeks and hit me up I'll take you to a couple fun ponds

Thanks for the offer, got a little time off coming up around then. I took it off with the thought we ought to have good ice by then, hope I'm right. I am actually going to Palo this weekend. Not sure which day but leaning towards tomorrow. How was the ice? Heard a couple guys say they saw 7''+ out there. I also heard from a guy who fished north of Ankeny and said most spots he went to were 5+ so I figured Palo should definitely be ok.

Offline Trump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2016, 09:17 PM »
Back from the lake of the little eyes 8" of ice out from the dam in main chanel.  Talked to a guy who was out from double boat ramp he had same pushing up to 10" 40 + guys out that way so stayed away.  Found deep brush pile LOADED with crappies managed a few around dark but definitely tight lipped, eyes were all 11 and 12.  All had left peck fin snipped off, tight to bottom whole minnow under kastmaster and few on rap still banging bottom.  Be nice to hit that pile when this crappy were hungry let me know what you find I think Im goin back Monday

Offline seiowa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 31, 2016, 09:25 PM »
Back from the lake of the little eyes 8" of ice out from the dam in main chanel.  Talked to a guy who was out from double boat ramp he had same pushing up to 10" 40 + guys out that way so stayed away.  Found deep brush pile LOADED with crappies managed a few around dark but definitely tight lipped, eyes were all 11 and 12.  All had left peck fin snipped off, tight to bottom whole minnow under kastmaster and few on rap still banging bottom.  Be nice to hit that pile when this crappy were hungry let me know what you find I think Im goin back Monday

Well same story different day looks like, just the standard clipped fin little eyes. Definitely right about that thick ice. I didn't drill anywhere less than 8 with a few over 9 pushing 10.

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 01, 2017, 08:10 AM »
Welcome to the Ice Shanty.

Offline Trump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 01, 2017, 07:21 PM »
Headed back in the morning to try it again, maybe the weather will put a twist on the norm and the fish will be hungry.

Offline Trump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2017, 10:09 PM »
I'll try to put photos up tomorrow but 1 20" 1 17" and 2 15" wallys  between 8am and 10am hole hopping with a jigging rap and and minnow head started in 21 fow worked out to 27 fow all day caught clip fin 10s and 12s.  Oh and 1 20# flathead, who knew those were in there

Offline seiowa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2017, 11:47 AM »
I'll try to put photos up tomorrow but 1 20" 1 17" and 2 15" wallys  between 8am and 10am hole hopping with a jigging rap and and minnow head started in 21 fow worked out to 27 fow all day caught clip fin 10s and 12s.  Oh and 1 20# flathead, who knew those were in there

Glad someones getting more than just those little stockers. Had no idea there were even flatheads in there, that had to be a blast to reel in! Did you have to chisel or drill a bigger hole?

Offline forecy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 03, 2017, 12:00 PM »
Lots of people on Palo this weekend. Saw a group of guys stacking up 7" gills and perch with a few 10" eyes mixed in. Been getting some nice crappies out there this winter but no good perch or eyes yet.

Offline Trump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 05, 2017, 08:32 AM »
Seiowa it was close to not coming through 8" hole but skinned the peck fins coming out with a tug. there's a video on ice junkies outdoors on Facebook

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.