Author Topic: Lighthouse Tip Up lights  (Read 3276 times)

Offline noam1700

• IceShanty Rookie
Lighthouse Tip Up lights
« on: Dec 29, 2016, 12:37 PM »
Just ordered two of these from Lighthouse.  The idea of a spinning light is awesome to me for night fishing walleyes.  Just curious how many are out there and if everyone who has them likes them.  Once they come in and I can give them a try I will give a review of how I like them.

Offline noam1700

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Lighthouse Tip Up lights
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2016, 12:53 PM »
$100 each????  Not sure where you are finding that price.  Google Lighthouse tip up lights and go right to the guys website.  I talked with him over the phone for quite awhile and he is a great guy.  He sells them right there on his site for $16.95.  Only has PayPal available for payment at this time but that was fine with me.  Can't wait for them to come in and try them out.

Offline Beardsicles

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2016, 07:01 PM »
I've used them for several years. My favorite light to use. Mine are all around 5 years old and haven't had a single issue. I've never had one come off a tip-up so I can't tell you whether or not the floating and waterproof claims are true, but the amount of slush and snow mine have seen has never caused a problem. If you are near the Eau Claire, WI area, Scheel's in the mall has carried them in the past. I haven't been in there this year, but I bought one there last year for my fiancee's tip-up.
Stay frosty.

Offline whiteyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2016, 06:31 AM »
I really like mine. I use them on beaver dam tips. Only issue I had was the other day when we were fishing in 35t mph winds one of the magnets didn't hold flag down so I switch lite out with a different style of lite. The rest of the Litehouse lites worked in the wind. Definitely worth the price.

Offline Turbo jig2000

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2016, 08:52 PM »
do these light come on when the tip-up is triggered or do they stay on all the time?

Offline Beardsicles

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2017, 08:51 PM »
When the tip-up is triggered. The flag is held down with a magnet and when the magnet disconnects the light comes on.
Stay frosty.

Offline noam1700

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2017, 06:45 AM »
Received them in the mail yesterday.  Couldn't get out fishing but I had to at least put it on a tip up and try it out.  The magnet seems pretty strong so I don't think that wind will be an issue.  The only thing that I didn't like so far is how much pressure it takes to trip the magnet.  It seems like walleye may feel the resistance right away and not take the bait.  After releasing it a couple times by hand and seeing how much pressure it took to trip I had to take it off and feel what kind of pressure it takes to trip the tip up normally without the light on it.  It was a lot less without the light so I am kind of skeptical about these as of now.  Beardsicles maybe you can shed some light on this for me.

Offline Beardsicles

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2017, 12:42 AM »
noam1700,
I've never noticed a difference in my ability to catch fish compared to other guys who I've fished with. Something I've done is move the magnet (the one on the flag pole) to the furthest away from the base that I can while still getting the magnet's to connect and hold together. Another idea that I have not tried would be to put a piece of material (maybe felt) on either magnet to weaken the connection. Trial and error on thickness of the material would be needed.

Like I said, I haven't noticed issues with fish spitting bait compared to the next guy. But your concerns are definitely something to think about.

I hope this helps.
Stay frosty.

Offline noam1700

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2017, 05:53 AM »
I did think about just putting a piece of wax paper or something like that between the magnets.  I did play around with moving the flag magnet a little bit to get the most sensitive set out of it.  Will get to try them out this weekend sometime.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.