Author Topic: anyone ever try?  (Read 2882 times)

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
anyone ever try?
« on: Dec 29, 2016, 11:34 AM »
The idea is in my head after making tuna melts last night....anyone ever substitute perch/bluegill, or any panfish for that matter and make, say, a perch melt? I was thinking maybe you bake the fish un-breaded, pull it apart, mix like tuna with mayo, then add your cheese, then cook like a melt? Could be disgusting, could be great, I'm not really sure, figured I'd see if anyone has tried it before I potentially ruin some filets haha :tipup:

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: anyone ever try?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2016, 11:35 AM »
sounds good to me

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2016, 12:51 PM »
Very light mayo and the right cheese and you might have a winner! Salmon/trout should be an obvious winner too. My only concern with gills and such would be the density and texture of the meat. If you fold in the mayo instead of mixing/stiring, you won't break down the panfish as much and should retain a decent bite. I think pike would make a hefty melt too.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2016, 03:23 PM »
Very light mayo and the right cheese and you might have a winner! Salmon/trout should be an obvious winner too. My only concern with gills and such would be the density and texture of the meat. If you fold in the mayo instead of mixing/stiring, you won't break down the panfish as much and should retain a decent bite. I think pike would make a hefty melt too.

my other thought is to lightly pan fry, maybe with breading to crisp them up a bit. Then go through the same process...deep down I think it would taste great, maybe even throw a little relish in the mayo, not quite to the consistency of tartar sauce but enough you'd get a taste....hmmmm

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2016, 07:50 PM »
I'd say it's all good.....

Any kinda LO for breakfast. Warm a tortilla, toss whatever in the pan (fish is great and that will be tomorrow am  ;)2). Season it up, throw in some cheese, toss it in the tortilla and enjoy.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline sinneD

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2016, 11:44 PM »
I think tuna melts work because the oilness and texture of the tuna.

I would bake or poach the fish then substitute it into a crab cake recipe.   

Of make ceviche- citrus/lime juice cured fish salsa with onions and peppers. The citrus juice 'cooks' the fish with the acid. If its opaque, its cooked.

Now I gotta go catch some crappie and walleye, I'm hungry!

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 2016, 06:17 AM »
No,I think the canned oil base fish is the key to the melt but it might be good. I make a great fish mock crab cake out of,crappie and gills. Boil the fish,drain flake the fish,add an egg couple table spoons on real mayo, put a really small dice on red bell pepper and onion and soften in a fry pan with pam on low. Mix cooled veggies into the fish mixture. Add seasoned or plain bread crumbs in to get it to bind together,add old bay,black pepper,onion powder and garlic powder. Everything is cooked but the egg so cooking time is short,pan fry in butter olive oil mix or just bake in the oven. Spray a little pan on the pan and flip once so there get lightly brown.

Offline jammer icecube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Danbury Fish & Game Hardwater Tour
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2017, 07:42 PM »
Take a perch or crappie fillet and put it on a BLT...its fantastic.

Offline aj454

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2017, 01:18 PM »
buffalo perch  dip in egg, bread crumb, fry, coat with hot sauce

Offline 4ssss

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2017, 04:23 PM »
My wife canned salmon last year, and we use it now like that instead of tuna in the can. I think I may try canning some bluegills this season. Worth a shot.

Offline harvdog 2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2017, 08:18 PM »
I have steamed bluegill fillets and crumble mix like canned tuna it's good !!!! ;

Offline timr35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 05, 2017, 06:20 AM »
Never tried that but we did make perch soup last year from a recipe we found in a magazine .
Cooked it on the wood stove, turned out awesome.

Offline loneranger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 05, 2017, 08:37 PM »
The idea is in my head after making tuna melts last night....anyone ever substitute perch/bluegill, or any panfish for that matter and make, say, a perch melt? I was thinking maybe you bake the fish un-breaded, pull it apart, mix like tuna with mayo, then add your cheese, then cook like a melt? Could be disgusting, could be great, I'm not really sure, figured I'd see if anyone has tried it before I potentially ruin some filets haha :tipup:
i like my pan fish fried and will probably keep frying them although i do fillet and  bake my pickerel then pull the bones out and it makes great corn chowder and sandwiches mix
ed up like tuna

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.