New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Canadarago 2017  (Read 9193 times)

Offline iloveacrappiedinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
Canadarago 2017
« on: Dec 28, 2016, 07:23 PM »
I know Otsego is open and likely won't freeze over till we get a good solid week of deep freeze,  but anybody have any reports on Canadarago?

Offline lil_coondog

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Canadarago 2017
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2016, 07:59 AM »
Its frozen. Had 5-6" of ice the other day. Haven't fished it yet. Saw a couple guys out last week.

"Wildlife and its habitat cannot speak, so we must and we will."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2016, 08:37 AM »
Its frozen. Had 5-6" of ice the other day. Haven't fished it yet. Saw a couple guys out last week.
i like the north end for perch
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2016, 09:12 AM »
That's good to hear. I'm talking to some friends to get access off the SE shore so I can avoid the public launch. Would love to see what the walleye are like. I haven't fished it in years but i remember some killer perch and decent walleye. The new regs come into effect next season bumping the size up to 18" for the walleye which is a bummer since in my mind anything over 20" isn't that great to eat anyway. Still great to catch tho!!

Offline Ima Fishin addict

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishin the American dream
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2016, 10:27 AM »
This lake isn't what it used to be, back a few years it had nice jumbo perch, now if you get a 9 inch perch your lucky. This lake had a lot of heavy pressure during the ice seasons and pretty much wiped it clean. You can give it a try but Alot of guys are done with this lake.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2016, 10:34 AM »
This lake had a lot of heavy pressure during the ice seasons and pretty much wiped it clean. You can give it a try but Alot of guys are done with this lake.

Unfortunately this is true.   Another lake killed by the internet.  I wish I could say it was funny how people blew it up on here and in the same breath asked everyone to let the big perch go.    Some good memories on this lake.   Especially the year my buddies had a place right on it.  Fun times.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2016, 10:52 AM »
This lake isn't what it used to be, back a few years it had nice jumbo perch, now if you get a 9 inch perch your lucky. This lake had a lot of heavy pressure during the ice seasons and pretty much wiped it clean. You can give it a try but Alot of guys are done with this lake.

Thats sad to hear. I see people pulling out limit after limit of perch and crappie all over the place and it scares me what it does do some of these fisheries. I love to keep and eat fish, but I keep it down to a meal or 2 for myself. My grandparents lived on Canadarago and I grew fishing on it all summer. We always would catch tons of great perch and every so often pull in some huge walleye and tiger musky.  I think I'll still check it out there soon. See what I can pull in.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2016, 11:12 AM »
I think I'll still check it out there soon. See what I can pull in.

Definetly do.  Perch populations are cyclical, and the lake will come back. 

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Dec 29, 2016, 02:05 PM »
Ok. Pretty sure fishing might have a little to do with it..
But the ale wive explosion and the blue green alge the past few years and the massive plant growth due to feterlizers and people  not washing there boats, thats what's really the problem.. 
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Dec 29, 2016, 02:43 PM »
Ok. Pretty sure fishing might have a little to do with it..
But the ale wive explosion and the blue green alge the past few years and the massive plant growth due to feterlizers and peope  not washing there boats, thats what's really the problem..

But everyone was complaining about all the small perch before, isn't that what alewives eat?   Shouldn't there now be a glut of huge perch??   In 2012 the "experts" on here living on the lake blamed the zebra mussels.  Now its the algae?      There's one constant, its the ridiculous, inordinate pressure the lake got.    Not looking for an argument, just telling it the way it is.  Course I've been making this argument on here for years.  You must all get tired of hearing this by now  ;D.  Rant over, god i need to get on the ice  Good day :tipup:

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 29, 2016, 02:58 PM »
But the ale wive explosion and the blue green alge the past few years and the massive plant growth due to feterlizers and peope  not washing there boats, thats what's really the problem.. 

Fertilizer run-off is a major problem and is the underlying cause for the algae blooms and much of the vegetative expansion (I work as an Environmental Engineer). The alewife is an interesting problem. Adult walleye will devour the alewife and you should expect to see a big jump in the size and quality of mature walleye. The problem is the alewife eat the walleye (and perch) fry. This is likely why they're increasing the size limit to 18" next year on the walleye. They're hoping a bigger class of walleye will bring down the alewife population. A bigger class of walleye will also eat a lot of perch. Combine to that over-fishing of the larger perch class and that will lead to greatly reduced perch numbers. The dynamic of the lake ecology will be interesting to follow the next few years.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Dec 29, 2016, 03:26 PM »
Fertilizer run-off is a major problem and is the underlying cause for the algae blooms and much of the vegetative expansion (I work as an Environmental Engineer).

has something changed that has caused an increase in the phosphorus and nitrogen loading in the system?   has it always been this way?

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 29, 2016, 04:27 PM »
has something changed that has caused an increase in the phosphorus and nitrogen loading in the system?   has it always been this way?

I can't speak to the EXACT source, but most algae blooms are spurred by some large influx of nutrients. This can come from agriculture, maybe a farm changed hands and a different fertilizer or application rate is used. it can come from new developments, not necessarily on the lake itself, but anywhere upstream on any stream that feeds the lake. It can come from industrial run-off. Or more likely it can come from failing septic systems around the lake. The increase in aquatic vegetation problem has been a growing (pun intended) issue on that lake for 25 years and is likely simply spurred by human development.

I'm not saying over-fishing isn't a problem. I'm just saying that lake ecology is very complex and there are too many other factors also at work here to simply put the blame on fishing.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Dec 30, 2016, 11:27 AM »
I can't speak to the EXACT source, but most algae blooms are spurred by some large influx of nutrients. This can come from agriculture, maybe a farm changed hands and a different fertilizer or application rate is used. it can come from new developments, not necessarily on the lake itself, but anywhere upstream on any stream that feeds the lake. It can come from industrial run-off. Or more likely it can come from failing septic systems around the lake. The increase in aquatic vegetation problem has been a growing (pun intended) issue on that lake for 25 years and is likely simply spurred by human development.

I'm not saying over-fishing isn't a problem. I'm just saying that lake ecology is very complex and there are too many other factors also at work here to simply put the blame on fishing.

Ya, I know how it happens, good text book answer, I was wondering if you had concrete facts, like a new hundred-head cattle farm moved in and its runoff is going in the lake, or some new subdivision just got built on the side of the lake...ya know, something like that.   Love the old school blame it on the septic systems.   Classic.

Is it possible that the increase in vegetation is from the water clearing due to zebra mussels, like happened in most lakes in NY with Zebra mussels?   And wouldn't the vegetation give YOY (young of year) more places to hid, increasing recruitment?  I think its funny now that there is a "problem" with the fishery, all these other sorts of problems are coming out of the woodwork.   Its all very interesting.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 30, 2016, 12:09 PM »
I think its funny now that there is a "problem" with the fishery, all these other sorts of problems are coming out of the woodwork.   Its all very interesting.

These problems are universal for lakes all across the country and have been a struggle to combat for decades. They're not just coming out of the woodwork and I work daily on addressing these issues (mostly in the capital region). They are constantly changing and impacting the lake but if all you can measure is fishing pressure, you're going to blame fishing pressure. Unless you spend millions of $$ on multi year studies testing nutrients, temperatures, water levels, vegetation densities, you'll never know the exact cause of changing fish populations. The lake likely isn't that unhealthy, and I look forward to adding it to my rotation of places to fish.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Dec 30, 2016, 12:13 PM »
These problems are universal for lakes all across the country and have been a struggle to combat for decades. They're not just coming out of the woodwork and I work daily on addressing these issues (mostly in the capital region). They are constantly changing and impacting the lake but if all you can measure is fishing pressure, you're going to blame fishing pressure. Unless you spend millions of $$ on multi year studies testing nutrients, temperatures, water levels, vegetation densities, you'll never know the exact cause of changing fish populations. The lake likely isn't that unhealthy, and I look forward to adding it to my rotation of places to fish.

a simple "no" would have sufficed ;D  Good luck!

Offline fishbone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 30, 2016, 12:16 PM »
we never did well on rago---i know people who used to do ok---and they fished very late in the afternoons into dark---i never did like ice fishing at night and maybe thats why we didnt do well here

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Dec 30, 2016, 12:19 PM »
we never did well on rago---i know people who used to do ok---and they fished very late in the afternoons into dark---i never did like ice fishing at night and maybe thats why we didnt do well here

Fishing in the dark was always the trick to the walleyes.  the perch bit best during the first couple hours of the morning then again at dusk.  some days you could stay on them all day if you were on a particularly good piece of structure or were able to follow a school.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Dec 30, 2016, 12:40 PM »
you can't add  invasive species like  alewives or zebra's with out some impacts  then add  chemicals changes ..........fishing pressure ...probably  the fisherman that didn't wash his boat and  gave the hitchhiker a ride .......to many factors to consider .... if it was simply over fishing it would have come back after the 25 limit and  no where near the amount of fisherman ....those 8 inch fish should be 12 by now.....just my opinion and   it's America everyone is entitled to it   ;D

Offline paul23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • AKA Bauls25 on mff
« Reply #19 on: Dec 30, 2016, 01:37 PM »
I usually make one trip a year during the summer and have caught eyes midday til dark. Usually a handful and never any shorts.  Never tried at night.  Need some of this cold weather to try that otter out bigred.  Hope ya enjoy.

Offline Iceman8274

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 30, 2016, 05:04 PM »
 Does candy still get beat by houndreds the minute there's good ice?

Offline tblaster123

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 30, 2016, 05:12 PM »
Does candy still get beat by houndreds the minute there's good ice?

Not anymore. Used to. Heck the last 2 years I drove by when the ice was good and there was not 1 soul on the lake. Everybody's got their reasons to avoid it.. dink perch.. algae.. expectations of catching walleye, and not getting them... but isn't that the case on many other lakes in NY?  I wouldn't write it off the list, but I suppose there are better destinations.

Offline lil_coondog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 31, 2016, 05:34 PM »
Just a heads up, ATV (side by side) went through the ice this morning in front of the boat launch. Everyone got out fine. Watched the local fire dept, troopers and tow truck yank it out. Haven't been on the ice in a few days, so no idea how much ice is out there. We've had a good 6"+ of snow the last couple of days, so watch for wet spots and spud your way around.

"Wildlife and its habitat cannot speak, so we must and we will."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Mwilli132

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 31, 2016, 06:14 PM »
Just a heads up, ATV (side by side) went through the ice this morning in front of the boat launch. Everyone got out fine. Watched the local fire dept, troopers and tow truck yank it out. Haven't been on the ice in a few days, so no idea how much ice is out there. We've had a good 6"+ of snow the last couple of days, so watch for wet spots and spud your way around.

News travels fast I guess lol. Hate to admit it but unfortunately that was us that went through today. Many lessons learned today. An embarrassing and stupid mistake for sure. No excuse but pure stupidity on our part. Ice was 6-7 inches of clear ice. Large pressure crack at the end of the boat ramp hidden by the snow until the weight pushed it down and water came onto the ice. Ice was pretty deteriorated at the crack and too little too late once we realized it. Live and learn. Thankfully everyone is ok. That's all that really matters. Some lost gear so some lucky guy could end up with a soggy Marcum, some tipups and a folding table in the springtime lol state troopers warned us that the ice is never good at the boat ramp? Underwater spring of some sort I guess? Not too familiar with the lake so don't know if there is truth to that or not? Is there any other public access to the ice? Thanks

Offline paul23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • AKA Bauls25 on mff
« Reply #24 on: Dec 31, 2016, 08:00 PM »
Sunshine and concrete is a no brainer

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Dec 31, 2016, 08:03 PM »
Mwilli132  I'm really  glad your all ok  and safe

Offline captin bill

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 02, 2017, 05:27 AM »
Yes be thankful a little gear is all that was lost and don't feel bad Ive seen 4wheelers break through 12"+ at hidden pressure cracks also had the harrowing experience of the polar plunge :o

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #27 on: Jan 02, 2017, 06:04 AM »

Gear can be replaced lives can't , glad your all safe

Offline bmw9486

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 02, 2017, 11:41 AM »
Cando used to be one of the best perch and eye lakes around, we've had a family lake house there for 40 years, up until about 3-4 years ago it was still great perch and eye fishing but it's gone downhill since, we don't even bother on the ice anymore, went from big perch and eyes everywhere to dink perch and the occasional eye real quick, many theories why??? Just hope it rebounds someday cause it's been a shame

Offline Floatman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 02, 2017, 03:19 PM »
Well, others have offered their 2 cents on the reasons behind the demise of the perch fishery so I'll offer mine.  Moved to the area in 1978 and started ice fishing Candy shortly thereafter.  I would use a SP with a dropper fly above and catch 2 perch at a time as fast as you could lower it back to bottom.  All dinks.  The lake was loaded with them.  Starting in the early 80's DEC started stocking tiger muskies.  Slowly but surely the perch numbers went down and the avg. size went up.  By the late 80's you could go out and get a nice mess of 9-11" perch.  As a matter of fact, it got so good that the commercial guys were taking them off to sell by the buckets.  Hence, the 25 fish limit.
DEC started getting complaints that the tigers were eating up the small game fish.  No data to substantiate that  (my friend who has a camp there told me he caught a nice tiger once and it had 18 perch in it) but they decided to discontinue the stocking program.  Now we're right back to where we were 35 years ago.
I have no proof that this was the cause and effect.  However, I have done a fair amount of reading on the subject and several states are having great success stocking tigers into lakes with a stunted perch population. 
Ok, gentlemen, let me have it.  Just a theory of this old geezer.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.