Author Topic: Mississippi back waters  (Read 2523 times)

Offline toadhunter2

• Team IceShanty Regular
Mississippi back waters
« on: Dec 28, 2016, 11:31 AM »
Just wondering if anyone has been out sence the warmup this weekend with the rain they got up north I know a lot of the pools are rising was thinking of hitting pools 11 or 12 this weekend just wondering if anyone has been on 13-11 in the last couple days
early mornings,cold north winds,hard ice,good friends and cold high life..FLAG UP!.priceless

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Mississippi back waters
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2016, 06:53 PM »
6" in 14
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Crappie Fool

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2016, 07:55 PM »
Fished rock creek area south of Comanche today. 5 to 6 inches of ice. Caught tons of little bluegills and crappies. Only keep a total of 18 fish. Had trouble getting off the ice. There was a lot of water on the ice when I left at 4:30.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2016, 11:13 PM »
folks were on backwaters in 11 on sunday and monday - Might be heading that way this weekend to chase ringtails

Catchin' Fish

Offline waterfowler04

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2016, 08:48 AM »
There was 8" on pool 13 about 5 days ago, don't know about after the warm up. River went way up!

Offline toadhunter2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2016, 12:39 PM »
Thanks guys man it's hard trying to find any info on 12 or 11 anyone been up to Bertom lake this year I haven't been up there in about 12 years a buddy of mine said a couple guys he works with went up there a couple days before Christmas and smoked the big gills and crappies with a few nice perch mixed in so I'm thinking this weekend unless I decide to kill a few more geese before the season ends
early mornings,cold north winds,hard ice,good friends and cold high life..FLAG UP!.priceless

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2016, 02:30 PM »
Around 5"-6" at mickelsons yesterday but edges are soft. A guy went through at the boat launch neck deep while I was out. Be careful, bring a spud.

Offline toadhunter2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2017, 09:33 AM »
Well anyone been out with this cold snap going to go out tomorrow thinking about blandings or ferry landing on pool 12 just wondering if anyone has ice reports along the river just want to get an idea hoping to be able to bring the wheeler over to be more mobile

Offline crazy4crappie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2017, 07:02 PM »
There were 2 tents below Albany today.
I'm what you would call an ice fishing freak.

Offline B-Icefishin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2017, 07:00 AM »
I was one of those huts south of Albany. 12" ice and water was very murky. Big fish swimming by shallow, didn't see anything  else nor any bites.

Offline waterfowler04

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2017, 09:01 AM »
Well anyone been out with this cold snap going to go out tomorrow thinking about blandings or ferry landing on pool 12 just wondering if anyone has ice reports along the river just want to get an idea hoping to be able to bring the wheeler over to be more mobile

River is dropping like crazy right now, where do you fish and blandings? Isn't it all current in front of the ramp?

Offline toadhunter2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2017, 09:21 AM »
Ya I haven't ice fished over there in a long time when I was a kid we used to tip up fish for northerns and the occasional walleye right out from the ramp or we would take snowmobiles and ride south east corner by the dam and fish for perch or go north up to wise lake I know the river was up so we were just going to go do some careful exploring but ended up going to wi instead that's like up at ferry landing this summer I had a bass tournament on pool 12 of course the river was way high when we fished over there and I noticed it seemed like there was more current going threw there than I remembered from years past

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2017, 10:05 AM »
my backwater spot int he qca had 10" on it.

Offline wmcox

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 09, 2017, 05:39 PM »
I fished one of my backwater spots and had between 10" - 12".

Offline waterfowler04

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 10, 2017, 04:32 AM »
Does anyone on here pay attention to the river levels religiously? If so have you noticed over the last few years how much the river fluctuates over a day or two period? Pool 12 just dropped over two feet in less than two days! The river has been doing this allot over the last couple of years way more than it ever has. I heard that the lock masters don't have control over their pools anymore like they used to now it's all computer automated. If that's the case it might make sense why the river has been doing what it's doing. Typically in the winter months when there isn't any barge traffic or freeze thaw cycles the river stays fairly stable allowing for good fishing. This winter and last it's just all over the place my dad and I call it the yo yo riv! It's been very frustrating to say the least, for fishing and hunting.

Offline fish333

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 10, 2017, 06:03 AM »
I don't know if it has anything to do about it the dnr in iowa  put out warning about ice fishing the backwaters of the Mississippi for a few weeks because there were going to work on one of the dams up north from us. I think with that rain, warm-up, snow melt, cold weather and all that go's along with makes it crazy levels. We all just got to be safe with ice fishing. be safe!! :tipup:

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 10, 2017, 08:55 AM »
they have computer models that tell them how to manipulate the rollers but its all still a human decision.  the last handful of years have been nothing short of unstable weather wise.  i think that is whats going on more than anything else.  more so than corp meddling.

Offline B-Icefishin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 14, 2017, 07:36 PM »
Anybody ever fish Shabbona lake?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.