Author Topic: Marcum vs vexilar  (Read 13281 times)

Offline Momofboyz

• IceShanty Rookie
Marcum vs vexilar
« on: Dec 28, 2016, 11:05 AM »
My boys (10&12) are just getting into ice fishing and are looking at flashers. What's the main difference between the vexilar and marcum flashers and which model is the best for the money. They want to spend birthday money and Christmas money toward a flasher. (keeping in mind their age and ability to break thing frequently).

Offline MPCOA

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Marcum vs vexilar
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2016, 11:09 AM »
I can't help you out, but I am interested in hearing some opinions on some of the types and brands of flasher/finders/cameras and hopefully more concise than, "it works for me"

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2016, 11:12 AM »
If you're looking for something that's simple for them to understand it's hard to beat a Showdown, the top of the screen is the top of the water column and the bottom is the bottom, and the controls are super simple.  When I got my fish finder I found the traditional flashers confusing since you're looking at a multi-colored circle.

Offline Momofboyz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2016, 11:16 AM »
Thank you, I'll look into the showdown. I have an old eagle flasher that they have been using and they understand how it works, I am just not convinced with its accuracy since it is pretty old.

Offline prestonc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2016, 11:20 AM »
Bullet proof - vexilar.  I have next to no experience with marcum other than the lx7.   Marcum owners typically say the zoom is why they buy giving you more bang for your buck.  If you want to keep it cheap try finding 2 good, used units.  Anglers are always upgrading electronics so finding good used ones shouldn't be too tough (keep in mind it probably won't be priced too far off of new for a good one).  If you are worried about them breaking a unit I would shy away from humminbird.  I've read they have a knob that tends to break and it's a spendy fix.  I really do love the vexilar line because it is what I know (other than my new lx 7 unit which I bought used).  Marcum and vexilar work about the same as far as reading their screens.  Both have to have pretty good customer service or you'd hear about it.  Best of luck choosing. BTW my fl8 is 12 years old, works exactly the way it did when I bought it new, and I'm very hard on things.

Offline prestonc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2016, 11:22 AM »
I'll agree with Chris.  I've been using round dial for years and went to the lx7 specifically for the vertical columns

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2016, 11:29 AM »
there are two types of sonars available.

one is a "flasher" that has a motor spinning a plastic hub inside the case with lights on it to discriminate the data to you. it is known as a mechanical sonar.
the other is digital and it draws that data on to a screen designed for cold temps.

the things i would avoid is knobs that stick out and may get kicked or if mistreated could break them off and destroy the switches they are attached to like my hb ice55 has issues with being the knob sticks out far and in the wrong place so it is acting up. i don't mistreat my things, but if it gets hit while transporting and not even know it's getting hit, it becomes a major issue.

if you go digital, then there are no knobs to worry about. i went from mechanical to digital a few years ago and i am super happy that they make them and to me there is no comparison other than the both see fish and jigs.

vexilar does not make a digital ice sonar, at all. not sure why they are taking so long to get caught up.
marcum makes five of them.
so if you think you want a digital ice sonar, then marcum is your answer.
the showdown is my first choice for you to look into. it makes sense they way they are designed to show the water column straight up and down like what is actually happening under the ice, instead of a wheel representation of the same thing.
if you decide on a lx6 (cheapest color digital ice sonar by marcum) it comes with a snow shield that would take the hits and abuse the kids may dish out and is replaceable.
your kids are probably well versed in computers and smart phones and would love the technology that is inside of them.
being kids, the only problem i see would be maybe if not taught how to take care of the transducer arm. you can buy an after market arm made of metal, if they are hard on that arm.
it also holds the transducer up high in the water so landing fish shouldn't get tangled up as much and cutting the transducer cable.
the other systems use a swim noddle with about 10 inches of foam down in the hole with the ducer hanging off the bottom of that some where to further increase getting fish wound up onto it.

marcum is made right here in usa and is a proud sponsor of this site!

Offline majic0135

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 28, 2016, 11:43 AM »
My 2 cents is both are good units and I have the vex and bro in law has Marcum,,, What I have found I use my Lowrance elite 5 with a ice box for ice fishing now more than my Vex. With kids they have a screen to watch and it does show fish and your lure,,, I guess more fun than watching red/yellow/green in a circle or line,, AND once the season is over I mount it back on my boat,,, When your out shopping just take a look,,, Again not knocking Vex or Mar as they are good also,,, just that I like my Elite 5 better.
majic

Offline stealyourface

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 28, 2016, 08:47 PM »
I got the marcum lx7 last year loved it last summer i sent it in to marcum to get the camera n updates and now this is a fishin machine!!

Offline helimpd124

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 28, 2016, 09:17 PM »
Both are good I'd just look for the best deal you could find. I started with a vex fl8 slt and now use a marcum lx6s

Offline Momofboyz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 28, 2016, 10:49 PM »
Thank you all for taking the time to provide this feedback, it is much appreciated!

Offline DrillCatchDrink

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 29, 2016, 10:17 AM »
I think vexilar leads technology and accuracy in the older units.  Whowever marcum has some pretty good features and is pulling ahead when you get into the lx9 and rt9 but they are probably a lot more money than you want to spend.  Rt9 can run two different ice holes and two separate flashers on split screen. 

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #12 on: Dec 29, 2016, 10:22 AM »
Simple, bare bones: showdown

simple, rugged, reliable: vexilar or marcum lx-1

newer tech, not quite as simple: Marcum lx 5

advanced, high end, not rugged: lowrance, hummingbird helix, marcum lx 6,7

Offline scarygoose

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 30, 2016, 10:33 AM »
I run a Marcum LX5 and my father uses a Vex.  Both are great units. The Marcum does have fantastic target separation and excellent customer service. The Vex is a workhorse with no complaints.  Don't believe you can go wrong with either brand, just watch out for older used Marcum's (LX5 and below) because they did have an issue with their motors going bad.  Also, I find the Garmin Stryker series intriguing.  They have a ton of options such as down imaging and the classic flasher wheel, in a digital unit, that can also mark waypoints to get you back on the X after you left the honey hole.  Let us know what you went with.

Offline Ranger619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 01, 2017, 08:53 AM »
I ran a Fl 18 for years and not one problem. I now run a LX 9. For your boys that age you can't beat a FL 18 in a Genz pack for durability and ease of use. Just like anything else the more high tech the more expensive it is. Example LX 5 (500.00) LX6 (600) and so on. In my opinion the Marcum units have a crisper display and finer looking target separation. But for a unit starting out for young ones I'd go Vex. And like mentioned before you may be able to find a couple used ones very reasonable.
Fish as much as you can we're not here forever!

Otter Cottage Pro X Over
Marcum LX9 LX7 LX3
Thorne Bros,G Austin & TUCR Rods
Striker Lite Flite Milwaukee Fuel M18

Suzuki 750 King Quad W/Otter Monster Box

Offline Ochowinter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 04, 2017, 07:27 AM »
If its for kids I would get a Vexilar.   They are bullet proof.  In a couple years they might want to upgrade~ you should be able to get your money out of the Vex for something nicer.

Offline alanderson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 06, 2017, 11:55 AM »
Get them the marcum 425 camera for around $300, it would definitely keep them interested,and a helluva lot more fun seeing fish take your lure.

Offline tlcinmn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 06, 2017, 01:26 PM »
I second the comments on Vexilar - simplicity and durability in one package.

Maybe get one of each?

Offline nefarmer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 06, 2017, 04:17 PM »
Vexilars are so simple to use & bulletproof!  Very durable  as well.  Like others have said you'll get your money back out of it.

Offline lancej62

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 07, 2017, 02:06 PM »
I just bought a Vexilar 8 flasher.  Easy to use right out of the box.  I love it.

Offline timl300

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 10, 2017, 10:16 PM »
Sounds like not many use Lowrance units. I have an old X67c Lowrance that I used for years, I like the flasher mode with a bottom zoom on one side, my son has the same unit and prefers the graph mode. My wife tried it and adopted it, so I took the Elite 5 off of my boat and bought an Ice Pack for it. Works very well, can have a flasher on one side with a graph next to it, it also has GPS, which is very nice. I have several friends with Vexilars that work great as well. I have seen a couple of Hummingbirds that I wasn't impressed with. Seen a couple of Marcums, they seem fine as well. When you started with the old lead depth finder and no electronics, they all seem fabulous.  ;D

Offline Fishing Buddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 15, 2017, 08:05 AM »
I upgraded from my old lowarance to a marcum.  Biggest reason I went with marcum cause there made in the USA

Offline CoJak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 15, 2017, 11:41 AM »
I love my Marcum. Never really liked the vex not as user friendly in my opinion.

Offline Bigpauly03

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 24, 2017, 10:47 PM »
I'm loyal to Vexilar.  I've seen guys slip and drop on the ice and they still run without a hiccup.  Very durable and reliable. 

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 27, 2017, 11:56 AM »
If its for the kids and starting out - you can't go wrong with the Vexilar FL-8 or the Marcum LX-3.  Both have their positives and hardly any negatives.  I have Marcums and my brothers have Vex's.  Both can be puchased for mid $300 range depending when you purchase.  Plenty of information on Youtube if you want to see some videos on how each work.  You can spend an entire afternoon watching these and it will give you an idea of what you are looking for.
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline Brozy21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 13, 2017, 10:46 PM »
Whats the difference between the Marcum Showdown 5.6 Regular and the Dual Beam?

Offline Jtravis5858

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 19, 2017, 09:53 PM »
I have used the base model on the Marcin, vexilar, and hummingbird and my personal preference is the hummingbird because of the features and screen size. But really it's about what the person who will be using it wants

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.