Author Topic: Tip-downs :dead minnows for crappie??  (Read 3286 times)

Offline italianice77

• IceShanty Rookie
  • have a crappie day!!!
Tip-downs :dead minnows for crappie??
« on: Dec 28, 2016, 07:47 AM »
I was thinking of running some tip-downs for crappie, is it strickly live bait or does anybody use dead minnows or any other bait??? any info on this would be great... thanks

it's all fun and games till somebody looses a walleye!!

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Tip-downs :dead minnows for crappie??
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2016, 08:38 AM »
Maybe you could rig up something like the windlass tipup, with something to catch the wind and move the rod tip slightly to jig the dead minnow.

While im sure you would get bites with a dead minnow, I personally wouldnt even waste my time with a traditional tipdown and dead minnows.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Hando

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2016, 01:11 PM »
I was thinking of running some tip-downs for crappie, is it strickly live bait or does anybody use dead minnows or any other bait??? any info on this would be great... thanks

I mostly use the tip downs for perch but I mix it up.  This past weekend I was fishing a live minnow on a single bait hook with small jig as a dropper hook.  Fished one live and one dead and caught fish on both.  I also use a single hook rig and fish just the head of a minnow with great success as well.  I think the bite really determines what I am putting on the hook(s)!  Last time out the water was a little cloudy so the action of a live minnow I think was helping out. Just my 2 cents!  Good Luck!  :tipup:
"3/4 of the Earth's surface is water, and 1/4 is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn."

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2016, 01:43 PM »
It's caveman easy.  Slide the line in a book match cover. A gentle breath of wind will rotate and/or move the line creating movement of the lure/bait on any dead-stick .   

You're welcome.      ;)2

Tom

Offline gravelman_6

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2016, 04:45 AM »
  I have had luck with dead minnows over live ones on some days and other days live ones seem to work best. Just have to try each and see what they want. I sometimes take the dead minnows and  pinch them in half and use them on a jigging pole.

Offline italianice77

• IceShanty Rookie
  • have a crappie day!!!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2016, 07:26 AM »
Thanks for the info. guys
it's all fun and games till somebody looses a walleye!!

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2017, 10:01 PM »
Live baitfish are prohibited on my closest ice fishing pond so I use dead bait when fishing tip-ups or tip-downs. I also use live bait on other ponds. While I prefer live bait I really haven't noticed any difference in how many fish I catch. What does make a big difference is the quality of the dead bait.
 I put live shiners and dace in a brine with pickling salt, baking soda and ice cubes and leave them for 20 minutes. Then I pat the bait dry with paper towels and coat both sides with more salt. Next I vacuum seal them and freeze them. The salt draws excess moisture from the fish which keeps them firm. The baking soda preserves the color. I do the same thing with smelt for open water trolling.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.