The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Advice for accessing "private" lakes  (Read 3504 times)

Offline gotalunker

• IceShanty Rookie
Advice for accessing "private" lakes
« on: Dec 27, 2016, 05:28 PM »
When searching up in the Grand Rapids area, it's common to come across lakes that are either partially or entirely surrounded by private property.  Does this make the lake a "private" lake?

Also, any suggestions for navigating through the USDA forest and accessing lakes with no access?

Any other thoughts on getting to lakes with good potential but appear to be "unreachable".
Luke Schumann
Owner | Chill 'N' Audio

Excellence can be attained if you:
  • - Care more than others think is wise.
  • - Risk more than others think is safe.
  • - Dream more than others think is practical.
  • - Expect more than others think is possible.

• Offline corny13

• Team IceShanty Addict
    Re: Advice for accessing "private" lakes
    « Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2016, 06:25 PM »
    County plat books  Cass co is all online... don't know about Itasca  plus DNR lake finder page  all helpful.

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
    « Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2016, 06:40 PM »
    Lakes surrounded by private land requires permission from the land owner to cross over & fish. Lakes surrounded partially or entirely by public land can be accessed by anyone. A plat book &/or lakefinder comes in very handy when exploring.

Offline redneckdan

• Team IceShanty Regular
    « Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2016, 07:13 PM »
    Is it truly 100% surrounded? No inflow or outflow? Does a shore line touch a road right of way?

Offline gotalunker

• IceShanty Rookie
    « Reply #4 on: Dec 27, 2016, 10:09 PM »
    Is it truly 100% surrounded? No inflow or outflow? Does a shore line touch a road right of way?

what would be considered a "right of way"?
    Luke Schumann
    Owner | Chill 'N' Audio

Excellence can be attained if you:
  • - Care more than others think is wise.
  • - Risk more than others think is safe.
  • - Dream more than others think is practical.
  • - Expect more than others think is possible.

• Offline MinnesotaPike

• IceShanty Rookie
    « Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2016, 12:56 AM »
    In Minnesota,  it is a strip of land of a specific width, which has been legally established by a property owner, a court of law, and/or a county, for public road purposes. The road right-of-way is typically much wider than the road itself, because it includes roadside ditches, roadbed slopes, and cleared space to ensure adequate visibility and safety. The right-of-way lines, on both sides of the roadway, separate the abutting owners' property from the land available to the public or local road agency for road construction and maintenance.

From http://www.co.lake.mn.us/departments/highway/right_of_way_usage.php

Offline Bullet21XD

• IceShanty Rookie
    « Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2016, 04:41 AM »
    First thing to worry about, if the lake is surrounded by private land, be sure to check if the lake is included in MN's ublic water inventory. If it's not, there's no need to bother with it unlesd you are given permission.

Other than that, you would need to find a public access which includes ROW's, and there is no set standard anywhere in the state.  Unless you have plenty of time to waste...it's not worth the effort. If it is, and it's legally accessible, there will be others there.

Offline tornadochaser60

• Team IceShanty Regular
    « Reply #7 on: Dec 28, 2016, 08:01 AM »
    Get yourself an ultralight airplane.  Land on the ice and commence fishing.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
    • TēM HîPē FÿSh
    « Reply #8 on: Dec 28, 2016, 08:21 AM »
    Doesn't Minnesota have anyone making GPS land owner ship maps???
    I know it cost $$ but this is one of the best investments you could ever make if you recreate outside.

Offline skogie1

• IceShanty Rookie
    • I fish, therefore I eat
    « Reply #9 on: Dec 28, 2016, 08:31 AM »
    I know I'm speaking apples and oranges here but this reminds me of my lake which has no public access other than a couple wooded areas where one could walk out or possibly use an ATV. People are constantly trying to sneak through our property onto the lake. Hardly anyone ever asks for permission anymore, ever. The going attitude has been "if your land makes a convenient lake access, I'm entitled to it."
    You can wish in one hand and crap in the other and see which gets filled first.

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
    « Reply #10 on: Dec 28, 2016, 08:45 AM »
    Entitlement generation is correct.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
    • TēM HîPē FÿSh
    « Reply #11 on: Dec 28, 2016, 08:59 AM »
    A "please" and a "thank you " goes a long ways...

Offline tjacob

• Team IceShanty Regular
    « Reply #12 on: Dec 28, 2016, 02:25 PM »
    In the Grand Rapids area your talking Itasca County and Itasca County has online Ownership mapping. Check the county website. http://207.171.101.128/website/Itasca_Internet/viewer.htm This site will get you to the parcel info. Then go to:http://www.parcelinfo.com/main.php
    to find ownership.
     As for Right of Way, most counties have maintenance easements instead of Right of Way. Maintenance easements are not public land. More counties are purchasing ROW but you have to check with the local authority. Most state highways have ROW, but not all. When a highway runs through Federal or tribal lands there is a whole separate beast and the feds always have final say.
    Even though the lake might be public waters there doesn't have to be any public access to the lake. It used to be that DNR would not manage lakes without public access's, but I think that rule has long since been politically eliminated.

Offline MinnesotaPike

• IceShanty Rookie
    « Reply #13 on: Dec 29, 2016, 01:05 PM »
    I have had lakeshore owners attempt to block creeks into the lakes so that the public can't access the public lake. Most of the lakeshore owners on this particular lake do absolutely nothing with the lake other than get drunk and drive their pontoons in circles or their teenagers are getting drunk and driving their parents' pontoon or jet skis.

Offline tornadochaser60

• Team IceShanty Regular
    « Reply #14 on: Dec 29, 2016, 02:47 PM »
    I have had lakeshore owners attempt to block creeks into the lakes so that the public can't access the public lake. Most of the lakeshore owners do absolutely nothing with the lake other than get drunk and drive their pontoons in circles or their teenagers are getting drunk and driving their parents' pontoon or jet skis.

Not all lakeshore owners get drunk and drive their pontoons in circles.  Some of us get drunk while dragging bottom bouncers back and forth along the weed line for walleye.   ;D

Offline MinnesotaPike

• IceShanty Rookie
    « Reply #15 on: Dec 30, 2016, 01:00 AM »
    Yeah sorry, I edited it to be clearer. I just meant the ones on that particular lake.

Offline HardWaterHunter1

• IceShanty Rookie
    « Reply #16 on: Dec 30, 2016, 09:13 AM »
    Not all lakeshore owners get drunk and drive their pontoons in circles.  Some of us get drunk while dragging bottom bouncers back and forth along the weed line for walleye.   ;D

Ahh drunk dragging.
    . :tipup:
    Fish all you can.

Offline ranger007

• IceShanty Rookie
    « Reply #17 on: Jan 09, 2017, 04:32 PM »
    Get yourself an ultralight airplane.  Land on the ice and commence fishing.

I've actually heard of guys doing this!!

Offline tornadochaser60

• Team IceShanty Regular
    « Reply #18 on: Jan 10, 2017, 09:12 AM »
    I've actually heard of guys doing this!!

I had two instructors in tech school that did this.  They did it specifically to battle a land owner in court in ND about 15 years ago.

Offline BadAtFishing

• IceShanty Rookie
    « Reply #19 on: Feb 03, 2017, 03:33 PM »
    Lots of please's and sincere thank you's will help more than anything else.  As well as promising to be courteous and respectful of noise levels and not leaving trash behind. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
    Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
    © 1996- Iceshanty.com
    All Rights Reserved.