The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Pymatuning Lake  (Read 4294 times)

Offline Mknott

• Team IceShanty Regular
Pymatuning Lake
« on: Dec 27, 2016, 07:40 AM »
Any word on ice thickness at Pymatuning?
: )

Offline Mknott

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Pymatuning Lake
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2017, 03:48 PM »
Any report on Pymatuning Lake? Ice thickness? Looks like theres some hope for February
: )

Offline iceman2719

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2017, 06:39 PM »
Look at the Pa reports & conditions link . Think they said there was 5" yesterday
Don't horse em!

Offline mwilson118

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2017, 07:36 PM »
Where's the link? I can't see it...sorry, new to the site.

Offline Jason120

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2017, 07:38 PM »
Where's the link? I can't see it...sorry, new to the site.
You need three posts to be able to see reports and conditions pages.

Offline mwilson118

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2017, 07:53 PM »
Sorry, just read the newbie post requirement to see reports and conditions.

Offline mwilson118

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2017, 07:54 PM »
You need three posts to be able to see reports and conditions pages.

Thanks a bunch.

Offline IceholeHEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2017, 01:47 PM »
Besides the ice, any word going around about when the Walleye are gonna start running. I know in past years it varied, usually depends on when the ice breaks up, but considering how terrible the weather has been, wasn't sure if anyone has been fishing the wall or cosway.
To catch them all…you gotta catch them small

Offline frost

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2017, 05:36 PM »
Still way early for a walleye run... it does fluctuate depending on the temps and ice, but only by a week 2 at most so it's still 4 months away. I was looking through pics of past years and it's all about the same time frame...

Offline clayboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2017, 05:41 PM »
Just
The rut. Eggs in the females only last so long till they got to
Come out

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2017, 05:54 PM »
March,April is the spawn. They usually pull the nets out the end of the first of April. That doesn't mean it's over but the bulk of it is.

Offline IceholeHEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2017, 08:01 AM »
Ok, I appreciate the heads up. Last year I was there for the end of the run while other years we slayed.

Offline Bwhntr10

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2017, 09:28 AM »
Is the walleye population that great here

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2017, 09:34 AM »
NO ;)

Offline clayboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2017, 11:10 AM »
not any more.. stocking went down and fingerlings too.. then all the elwife  so eye pop way down

Offline frost

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 15, 2017, 12:10 AM »
Plus all the breeder females that get kept through the spawn... really wish they'd close the walleyes during the spawn like the rest of the state... or at least the circus area

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 15, 2017, 01:00 AM »
Frost, not a fan of the spillway madness but is been going on since the beginning only then just a few locals knew it,now viva the internet it's booming. Unfortunately there is very little nature reproduction in the lake. It's put and take,the stocking of fingerlings over fry is helping. I avoid the spillway but start wading at night so after the spawn tossing Raps. Not as many limits but nicer fish. Pymy was my go to lake but then I discovered Erie.I'd still rather eat a Pymy eye over an Erie one.

Offline frost

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 15, 2017, 01:24 AM »
Actually the natural reproduction would be and could be a lot higher if they closed the spillway at minimum. Couple years ago there was a really late run due to temps staying cold longer (about 3 weeks late) and there were very few people up catching the breeder females because of it. The normal natural reproduction is around the 3-4% of fish caught and studied in the fall. That year it was 12-13%... obviously not a huge difference, however it was a lot higher than the normal rate. Just think if there were no females pulled out during the spawn, plus they net the main lake for the breeders also...

I do agree I love wading for them in the spring.

Offline IceholeHEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 15, 2017, 02:43 PM »
I personally like getting involved in the circus. There's always some good bullish going around from one fishing story to another. Yes it is madness, yes you catch some eyes, yes it is fun, yes the people are sometimes (most times) ridiculous, but its all what you make of it.

Offline Dave shapell dx3000

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 15, 2017, 05:04 PM »
what is the circus ? i have had a camp in andover for 15 years but i haven't been able to fish because of the military just now able to spend time on pymi

Offline iceman2719

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 15, 2017, 05:25 PM »
I look forward to it too. Occasionally you'll get some A-holes that go against the grain . It's no different than the 1st day of trout season or the banks of Elk creek after the 1st spring rain. Me & a buddy usually release the females we catch  . People gimme s**t & laugh but I enjoy that fishery too much to take those potentially spawning brood mares. Not only that but it's usually the 1st decent fishing of the season , which includes some great pan fishing . Just my opinion tho!
Don't horse em!

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 15, 2017, 06:19 PM »
Dave Shapell,spillway mid March till first week of April. Walleye run there due to the water flow,sonars,vib-E's,silver buddies blade baits. About 6 people on each side of the culvert,long rods are a must. I've caught many fish there,also snagged just as many. Wardens are there 24/7 just don't keep a foul hooked fish. Locals hold down the fort, call a buddy to take their place after they limit. I was a regular,even have 2 special made boards for the wall. I just sort of out grew it due to the combat fishing just like Steelheading. I've fished there from the early 70's when where would be 4 guys or none (locals) to about 6 years ago. It just gets to crowded for me another option is a small boat but only 2 or3 boats are in the zone. There's other places to do the same thing but maybe less fish also less people. Decent crappie and perch fishing at times.

Offline Outasync

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 15, 2017, 08:01 PM »
I prefer to fish the shallow rocky flats on the north end of the lake instead of messing with the circus. Usually end up with spots to myself and fish on the stringer.

Offline Panfish710

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 15, 2017, 08:49 PM »
I used to fish the spillway for walleye all the time. Now it's just a circus and not even worth it. People down there elbow to elbow tangling up everybody's lines. I'd rather go to the bays and fish for crappie

Offline clayboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 15, 2017, 10:33 PM »
 Can't stand the locals who play that game of my spot my lake my fish and hold spots so a buddy can slide in and fish. I hope the fish commission gets some fines handed out on the guys who snag them eyes. I can hit my go to spots when the water temps get right and avoid all the local butt holes. Hey btw  we need some ice

Offline Buccos0787

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 17, 2017, 11:55 PM »
I'm heading up to my buddies lake house friday, too bad I won't be drilling any holes :-(

Offline Crappiehunter1981

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 18, 2017, 06:37 AM »
I fish the run from my boat.  It is crazy how crowded it gets there but it is a lot of fun.  Alot of guys take it way to seriously.  But it is still a lot of fun.

Offline EssoxHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Whoa black crappie bam da lam
« Reply #27 on: Jan 20, 2017, 12:14 PM »
Crappie hunter? We're one of the boats, this past spawn, the day the 3 guys on the pontoon caught the Muskie and didn't know what it wAs, and called someone to find out? It ended up being of legal size, and continued to flop around the deck all day ??? And wasn't there discussion of ending the fishing for walleye in the spillway durring the spawn?
Catch And Release  Pike And Muskie!!!

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 23, 2017, 07:13 PM »
New crappie regs for pymy. 20 fish creel limit with a 9" size limit. It'll go into effect in pa and Ohio starting March 1, 2017    :tipup: :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.