The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Jiffy Pro 4 Propane..Please Help!  (Read 7779 times)

Offline moose66

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Kids who hunt and fish don't mug old ladies
Jiffy Pro 4 Propane..Please Help!
« on: Dec 26, 2016, 07:33 PM »
I have the Jiffy Pro 4 propane auger. This is my 3rd season with it and I am having a problem with the auger bogging down and stalling out if I give it full throttle. Any one else have issues like this? Thanks.
Lifes a garden...dig it

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Jiffy Pro 4 Propane..Please Help!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2016, 07:27 AM »
I had a similar problem with my Jiffy Pro 4 Lite from the get go.  After I put the oil in it, I never stored it in the wrong position.  I also had a problem with the throttle freezing later that season and may have been from a bait bucket splashing.  Last year I took air filter cap off and there was a bit of oil between the back plate and foam.  I then took the carburetor apart and wiped down every bit of oil with cue tips, including the breather tube.  After I put it back together it was still acting up and thought I may have put the gasket between the carburetor and engine on wrong.  I watched a You Tube video and saw how the gasket went on.  After I turned the gasket around it ran fine.  I thought I originally put the gasket on where it was when I took it off the first time, so I don't know if it was the bit of residual oil or the gasket being on wrong from the factory.  The hole still lines up if it's on wrong, but the oblong section of the gasket should positioned correctly.

I still had problems with my throttle cable freezing though. I thought it was water by the linkage, so after wiping everything down I thought that would be fixed too, but it wasn't.  There must've been moisture in the cable housing.  I let it hang down in the warm basement, but no water came out.  So I sprayed some silicone spray through it like they recommend in the instructions and that fixed it. 

Ultimately I ended up selling it on Craig's list and got the Eskimo HC40.  I wasn't a fan of the chipper blade either, it would distribute slush and water around the hole and I plan on getting another permanent house down the road.  BTW, I haven't had any problems with the Eskimo since I bought it last January.
I don't post on IceShanty often, but when I do - #Legendary

Offline moose66

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Kids who hunt and fish don't mug old ladies
« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2016, 11:40 AM »
Thanks I'll try that out with the carb.
Lifes a garden...dig it

Offline FishinDutchman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2016, 11:49 AM »
Same exact issue w/ mine!!  Last year it ran wonderfully.  Just went out for my first time this year and it took FOREVER to get it started.  After it finally started, it would bog down at full throttle.  If I held it at about 2/3 throttle, it would make holes, but very slowly.

While trying to start it, I noticed a little hose that was disconnected, so I reconnected it.  Not sure if that's the culprit or not; I chalked it up to being too cold for its first time being used this season.

I'll try what Knife2sharp said... but let us know if/how you get yours fixed.  I know next to nothing about small engines, so any tips / photos will help.  If I can get mine running well again, I'll do the same...

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #4 on: Dec 27, 2016, 04:06 PM »
like others said check your air breather and see if some oil leaked in there.my jiffy pro 4 light has been sitting upright in its box and when I started it a little smoke and smelled like burning oil.theres a crankcase breather tube that goes to the carbs on these and sometimes a little oil will come up it regardless how you sit the auger.mine had oil in the carb and ive never drilled a hole with the thing yet.but at least this pro4 lite runs the 1st one jiffy sent me had a cracked piston cylinder.i bought 2 demo units straight from jiffy.

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2016, 12:36 PM »
Mine started to do that last season and I realized I had a leak at the crimp on the hose. Replaced hose and now it runs even worse. There was some oil in the carb which I tried to drain/clean. I just don't have the time or patience to look at it now. I got 2 model 30's that run fine so the pro-4 sits til I get ambition.
Hook up a tank and listen for a leak, spray the connections with soapy water, especially at the crimps. Make sure the tank is full. Also, try a new spark plug.
It must be something in the water.

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2016, 03:01 PM »
I should also point out, on the Pro 4 Lite, the small hose behind the air filter is 'Z' shaped. After taking mine off a few times it got a split near one end. I taped it and was going to buy a replacement, but Jiffy would not sell me one. Last year they changed their supplier and I needed to contact an authorized repair center. They wouldn't just sell me the part, I needed to bring in the auger. I did find one on eBay though. Another reason I switched to the Eskimo. By then I was just done with dealing with it. 
I don't post on IceShanty often, but when I do - #Legendary

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2016, 03:25 PM »
I should also point out, on the Pro 4 Lite, the small hose behind the air filter is 'Z' shaped. After taking mine off a few times it got a split near one end. I taped it and was going to buy a replacement, but Jiffy would not sell me one. Last year they changed their supplier and I needed to contact an authorized repair center. They wouldn't just sell me the part, I needed to bring in the auger. I did find one on eBay though. Another reason I switched to the Eskimo. By then I was just done with dealing with it.
mine was cracked when I got my pro4 lite. that breather hose is vey cheap material I put a small piece of transmission line on mine it is kinked a little but it works and runs great.its just a crankcase breather tube to expel moisture from the crankcase because  running propane creates alot of water/moisture.so the oil doesn't get milky but jiffy manual says that's normal anyways.

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 29, 2016, 05:26 PM »
That was a good idea.
Fishin red lines

Offline LarryClutch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go Big or Go Home
« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2016, 03:45 PM »
I had the same problem last year and this season figured out that I had a leak before the regulator.  Put on a new hose and fitting last night.  (Gen 2 and it was a huge pain) and now runs like knew.  maybe look for leaks.

Offline nyiceman23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • WALKING ON WATER
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2017, 06:34 PM »
Same thing with mine.  I have gone through 2 breather tubes and it still ran weak under load.  I was told I needed a new carb because oil my be blocking it.  I had to take it into a service center.  The tech changed the carb and fuel line and he couldn't even get it to start. I had it running before I brought it in.  Now I'm told that I have a bad motor? ??? I am out of warranty and very upset that I bought a brand new $500 machine that is now useless.   

Offline Bartb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2017, 07:16 PM »
I had a jiffy....never ran right.  Sold it and bought a nils. 

Best fix for a jiffy is Craigslist.
I fish a lot....I catch a little.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.