The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Yankee lost in Milwaukee  (Read 1073 times)

Offline FishinMagician

• IceShanty Rookie
Yankee lost in Milwaukee
« on: Dec 25, 2016, 11:29 PM »
Hello Wisconsinites,

I'm a New Yorker visiting the in laws for the holidays and hoping to do some ice fishing. Assuming the harbor is no good right now, is there anyplace reasonably close where it's safe and worth wasting a day?  I'm strictly catch and release, and just looking to get outside, so any help is greatly appreciated. I normally get out for steelhead on the creeks, but decided to bring ice gear this year.  Please don't let me have driven an auger 700 miles and not let it get to taste WI ice.

Thanks

Offline Watertooner

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Yankee lost in Milwaukee
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2016, 07:06 AM »
I hope you enjoy your in-laws company because this southwest wind today is going to make going onto any ice a bad time. The good news is that the temps will be much cooler for most of this next week. The rain will have stopped, the snow will be melted and the lakes will have chance to reset into ice-making mode. Whether the ice will be safe again by the weekend is unknown, but I'm crossing my fingers in hopes I can get out while on a break from work. Perhaps you will have a chance as well if you are still in WI.

Offline bigern02

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2016, 09:58 AM »
Been out yesterday and today in sauk county. Ice isn't great by any means and I ain't saying it's safe. Especially if your unfamiliar with the waters. I'd be hesitant if I were you. So unless you get some solid info from somebody down that way I'd be very careful.

Offline FishinMagician

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2016, 07:12 AM »
Looks like this was the wrong year to bring the ice gear. Fortunately, I brought steelhead gear as well (is it wrong that everyone got gift cards so I could make space for fishing gear).  Hopefully the streams drop back from the melt, clear up and bring in some fresh fish.

Thanks for the info, and stay safe out there.

Offline mvanhank222

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2016, 04:10 PM »
if you got steelhead gear go get some spawn and fish the wall under the Hoan Bridge

Offline Bwags007

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2016, 08:05 PM »
Hey I was wondering if anyone could let me know if McKinley harbor usually locks up. Been watching some YouTube and looks like guys get some big Browns right out of Milwaukee. Looking at the map, McKinley looks like it's gotta be the spot. Trying to plan a trip late Jan/feb from buffalo so any pointers would greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Offline boder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2016, 09:15 PM »
Yes it freezes over and yes you can get browns in there.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.