Author Topic: Pickled Fish  (Read 7168 times)

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
Pickled Fish
« on: Dec 24, 2016, 04:24 PM »
Has anyone tried pickling pan fish and if so how did it turn out and could you post recipe / process.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Re: Pickled Fish
« Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2016, 04:35 PM »
More than you'd ever want to know, potatoe.       :thumbsup: ;)2

CLICK THIS

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2016, 05:53 PM »
good info.
Im getting ready to try it!

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2016, 07:28 PM »
Put  them in some tequila. They will get pickled   :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 26, 2016, 07:34 PM »
I have catfish in the fridge starting the process, found a video on youtube that looked pretty good. 5 days sitting in the fridge with salt and vinegar started today

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 26, 2016, 07:35 PM »
Put  them in some tequila. They will get pickled   :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Sounds like a waste of good tequila to me.....  ;)2
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline IceGunner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 27, 2016, 01:09 PM »
I use this recipe and my family loves it
http://www.cooks.com/recipe/mk19r15c/barbs-pickled-fish.html
I like to use white bass just because I would rather fry the tastier panfish but they will certainly work just as well
In God We Trust

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2017, 07:11 AM »
Use only thoroughly frozen fish for this recipe.
Vinegar must be at least 5% acidity.
Kosher or sea salt or pickling salt and distilled water only to avoid mineral taste.

Brine:
Dissolve enough salt in a large glass bowl of cold water to float a raw egg.
Cut up fish into pieces and brine in refrigerator for 6-8 hours.

Pickling:
3 c. White vinegar
2 c. Sugar
1 cup semi sweet white wine......something you like to drink ;D
2 tbsp. Pickling spices
Bring all ingredients to a boil and allow to cool to room temperature. Do not use aluminum pans. I picked up a stainless steel pot at goodwill for making pickling.

Drain and rinse the fish in cold water.
Fill jars with layers of sweet onion and fish.
Strain the pickling mixture and pour over fish till covered.
Tap jar on counter and poke down in with a wood object to remove air bubbles. I use chop sticks.

Refrigerate about a week if you can stand to wait that long. Consume within 30 days........like that's going to be a problem. ;D

Enjoy!
Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2017, 08:29 AM »
Great suggestion RG.  I just put about a dozen leftover fillets that I had thawed but didnt cook this weekend.  Couple folks didnt show up.  Their loss, my gain.  Love pickled fish!! 

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2017, 08:43 PM »
My recipe is similar  to rg's, but I also add thinly sliced lemons & limes, not too many though, & also some orange slices. Also, pickling works really well on pike fillets, the vinegar breaks down the Y- bones so you can eat them w/ no problem !
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2017, 06:23 PM »
recipe I used is very similar to what RJ posted, I gave it a try only after a couple days in fridge. My first impression is was really sweet, then I watched a few more videos and most say to wait 5 - 10 days after you put in jar.

Holding out a few more days until I try it again

I did not strain the pickling juice, so my jars have the seasoning in them - not sure if that matters

this is the recipe I used

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 05, 2017, 07:36 PM »
Leave them in the juice, for 5- 7 days , & then eat  ;D.  I really don't know what the shelf life is, but it is good for at least a week, unless my sons stop over & find it, after that, its like 15 minutes, less, if I have crackers around  ;D.
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Jan 06, 2017, 04:41 PM »
recipe I used is very similar to what RJ posted, I gave it a try only after a couple days in fridge. My first impression is was really sweet, then I watched a few more videos and most say to wait 5 - 10 days after you put in jar.

Holding out a few more days until I try it again

I did not strain the pickling juice, so my jars have the seasoning in them - not sure if that matters

this is the recipe I used

I strain it because I don't like the seasonings stuck in my teeth. Back off the sugar if you want less sweetness. But they're definitely better after a week or two.

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 06, 2017, 06:03 PM »
Just like your pickled sausage Rg, tryyyyy to leave it long enough to get there.  ;D I did bratwurst last year. Didn't last long...

As far as seasonings left in or not. I kinda like crunching a whole coriander corn with my fish (and probably onion too).  ;)2
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline MeatHunter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • When I'm not fishin, I'm smoking meats.
« Reply #14 on: Jan 08, 2017, 08:03 PM »
So far, I've only pickled pike. However, i do have a nice bag of Rainbow Trout chunks that are thawing as we speak to try pickling with. Also have a bag of very small perch fillets to use next.
If your searching the net for recipes, you might come across some that state the use of Silver Satin wine to use. That wine is no longer being produced. A GREAT replacement for that is a Fairbanks White Port.
A rotten day of fishin is better than a good day at work.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #15 on: Jan 08, 2017, 08:09 PM »
ive seen a lot of recipes say add wine. Just adding a different flavor is all?

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 08, 2017, 10:21 PM »
So far, I've only pickled pike. However, i do have a nice bag of Rainbow Trout chunks that are thawing as we speak to try pickling with. Also have a bag of very small perch fillets to use next.
If your searching the net for recipes, you might come across some that state the use of Silver Satin wine to use. That wine is no longer being produced. A GREAT replacement for that is a Fairbanks White Port.

I was just wondering if you could use trout.  Let me know how it turns out..

Anyone else ever pickle trout ??  Turn out ok ??

Offline Snakehunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 09, 2017, 07:02 AM »
I have pickled pike, whitefish, herring, walleye and goldeye. Never tried trout because I usually smoke it if I don't bake or bbq it.
My favourite fish to pickle are whitefish and pike as they hold up well and take to pickling well.

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 15, 2017, 06:21 PM »
Getting better with time, next time I will back of the sugar a bit

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Jan 16, 2017, 06:11 PM »
It's all a matter of your own taste. Sometimes I leave the sugar out altogether. You can change the wine variety and change the flavor, but, dry wines don't taste too good to me.

Cider vinegar also works well. Adds a bit of sweetness as well.
Rg

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #20 on: Jan 16, 2017, 06:29 PM »
Mines getting close. The pickled carrots and onions are great. The garlic is still a bit garlicky and the fish still has a slight fishy taste but taste good already.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Jan 17, 2017, 03:43 AM »
Pickled garlic remains "garlicky". I pickled some last fall and use it in different dishes. It takes on a whole new characteristic. But it keeps in a very crisp state, unlike storing it in an oil. I also have some that I added a bunch of  nasty little yellow hot peppers to. Sure perks up the soups ;D

Rg

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #22 on: Jan 17, 2017, 07:52 AM »
Understood, I won't use them as an indicator :)

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 17, 2017, 06:46 PM »
Mine is getting better by the day, next time I need to cut the chunks of fish smaller. I think I like the pickle seasoning in the juice taste pretty good. I did not think this would turn out well after my first try but you need to wait in out in the fridge a few days.

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 13, 2017, 08:55 AM »
Can you just put put fish chunks in pickle jar juice and wait for awhile?

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #25 on: Feb 13, 2017, 09:06 AM »
probably, but i bet it will taste terrible.

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 13, 2017, 06:18 PM »
Jiignut, you probably could after soaking the fish in saltwater first, then pure vinegar, which dissolves the bones. But pickle vinegar is too vinegary.
I don't post on IceShanty often, but when I do - #Legendary

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Feb 17, 2017, 03:33 AM »
I've never had pickled fish are they any good or is it an acquired taste? I like pickled beets if that helps.  LOL

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #28 on: Feb 17, 2017, 10:21 AM »
I've never had pickled fish are they any good or is it an acquired taste? I like pickled beets if that helps.  LOL

Very good ...I like it on a Wasa Cracker ...but others prefer Triscuits....some also make a spread ..Greek yogurt or sour cream base 
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.