Author Topic: Whitefish tips and/or techniques  (Read 5262 times)

Offline saskbucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
Whitefish tips and/or techniques
« on: Dec 24, 2016, 12:52 PM »
We have whitefish in a lot of our waters but I've never tried to target them. For those who have/do, what are some of your tips/techniques that can ice some tasty whites? Thanks. 
Get outside.  It does a body and mind good!

Offline darrenf442

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Whitefish tips and/or techniques
« Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2016, 03:12 PM »
Both times i caught the lake whitefish i seen a school of them swimming around, first time i dropped a black watsit grub down wiggle wiggle and had a whitefish, second time same grub dropped it down went to grab something looked back at the camera and one was sucking it in already.

So all i can say sometimes its better to be lucky then good.

But they did seem to zoom right in on the black watsit grub seemed quite interested in it when bounced on the bottom.

Offline coldazice

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I'd rather be fishing
« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2016, 04:52 PM »
Whitefish are easiest to catch along the edge of weed beds in 4-10 feet of water in most lakes. Use wire worms (they love red as it closely resembles the blood worms they eat) or small glow forage minnows etc. I grew up fishing primarily for whites and can say that jigging technique matters as much as the hook.  Sometimes they'll sit just inches below the ice and want a light shake, others right in the sand between the weeds there you pound the jig aggressively for a few seconds then lift a few inches and leave it still. Generally when hungry they will hit aggressively but it's important often to see the fish to set the hook as they don't often self set like a pike or walleye will.

Last and possibly most important . Don't go too heavy on the line. 6lb mono or 8lb fluorocarbon is perfect.
TEAM Saskatchewan: Yes, we have ice in December!.

Offline ToonFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2016, 07:38 PM »
They are of greater interest in Alberta and the Great Lakes.

The Alberta / prairie way uses a wireworm and sight fishing inside a dark tent. Still fishing is often practiced.  It's most effective during the first hour of daylight in less than 10 feet of water. It works but also kills my neck staring down.

The Great Lakes method used a small lure like 1/8 of and an even smaller lure in tandem, and jig as if for other species. Stirring the bottom, fluttering down, or slow rising with gentle jigging are the three techniques that are effective. I did not notice any help with scent, but adding scent would catch more usual species.

It's easier to catch them in Diefenbaker lk and Iroquois lk than in the closed Blackstrap reservoir. I have them as the main target for over five times and only caught three in Black strap during spawning in the shallow. I can't locate them afterwards.

Offline jlreeder43

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 24, 2016, 08:02 PM »
We use to use jigging raps , single salmon eggs on a slip rig or tear drop jigs with wax worms. We fished them deep 40+ ft of water .Used boiled noodles as chum.
The green hornet has caught more fish then you have lied about.

Offline Demon666

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 25, 2016, 03:29 PM »
Only caught whites once but I couldn't keep them off my hook.  It was mid February @ Tobin and I had 20 in an afternoon.  The 3 others in the tent had 2 between them.  The difference in success I think was that they were using regular jigs and I had rattling jigs.  Caught just as many on meal worms as I did with minnows.  Switched it up and caught a couple on my home made Dos Equis  beer cap lure (also rattling).  Probably 15 ish  feet of water but can't remember.  Good eating but there are worms to cut out of the Tobin whites

Offline coldazice

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I'd rather be fishing
« Reply #6 on: Dec 26, 2016, 02:01 PM »
Only caught whites once but I couldn't keep them off my hook.  It was mid February @ Tobin and I had 20 in an afternoon.  The 3 others in the tent had 2 between them.  The difference in success I think was that they were using regular jigs and I had rattling jigs.  Caught just as many on meal worms as I did with minnows.  Switched it up and caught a couple on my home made Dos Equis  beer cap lure (also rattling).  Probably 15 ish  feet of water but can't remember.  Good eating but there are worms to cut out of the Tobin whites

Those weren't whites. Those were tulibee. I know what you mean by you couldn't keep them off.
TEAM Saskatchewan: Yes, we have ice in December!.

Offline darrenf442

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 26, 2016, 03:05 PM »
Tullipee are Cisco's and Cisco's are a type of whitefish.

Offline jlreeder43

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 26, 2016, 03:26 PM »
Cisco's aren't as good to eat as whitefish and you have to eat them rite away cuz they done fair well in the freezer.

Offline ToonFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 26, 2016, 04:36 PM »
Cisco is much smaller and often suspended. I only caught one in Diefenbaker.
At this time of year in lake Diefenbaker, whitefish often overlaps with walleye at edge of shallow weed bed.  One can jig for both at ~15 feet of water.
Whitefish can also be found in very deep (over 50 feet) water. Chumming is a good way of attracting them to the deep water spot. For that reason, the fish farm is a great spot to find them, although I have never been there.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 26, 2016, 07:49 PM »
 i've caught lots of whitefish on tube jigs as big as 4" if you can believe it.  hear lots of guys talking about all the whitefish they caught kept and ate which were actually tulibee.  throw up in my mouth a little every time. 

Offline jlreeder43

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 26, 2016, 07:58 PM »
I've never caught a whitefish more then 5ft off the bottom so kinda weird to hear people say they catch them rite under the ice ;D

Offline KenH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 26, 2016, 08:18 PM »
If you are fishing for them in shallow water they are quite often right under the ice.

Offline jlreeder43

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 26, 2016, 08:19 PM »
Never caught one in less then 40fow

Offline golf560

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 26, 2016, 09:01 PM »
+1 most whitefish I caught were from ice fishing +60 feet water; later may early June you may catch them from shoreline but still about 15-20 feet water depends on the temperature

Offline darrenf442

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 26, 2016, 10:26 PM »
Caught both mine on blackstrap in 6 feet of water . Seen them all the time there that winter, been back to the exact same spot and not there again. The water temp has not been the same either in that spot.

Offline ToonFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 26, 2016, 10:51 PM »
If you find a warm day and fish just before ice up in November at sunrise, they are at spawning ground less than 10 feet of water, some times within arms reach from shore. You can find them there all winter in the morning, and in spring time. You have to find a lot of them to catch a few. I have been targeting burbot this winter. With 5 species caught in Diefenbaker, they will be my next main target to make it six there this season.

Offline Demon666

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 29, 2016, 11:41 PM »
Those weren't whites. Those were tulibee. I know what you mean by you couldn't keep them off.
I don't seem to have any pictures but I thought they were Whitefish.   Tasted good regardless.  They were all a fairly good size and fought like hell

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #18 on: Dec 30, 2016, 01:59 PM »
A good way to tell the difference between a whitefish and a cisco / tullibee of the same size it to check their mouth.
Whitefish's mouth is below it's snout, they have an over bite. A cisco's / tullibee's mouth is longer than their snout. they have an under bite.
See photo below.

I know sometimes the ciscos / tullibees are the only one biting in the Qu'Appelle or Last Mountian Lake through the ice, but I will take their action anytime over a slow day. :icefish:
They are indeed good fighter for their size. :)

Most of the ciscos / tullibees in Southern SK. have the tapeworm larva in the meat. :P

As for whitefish techniques, I had some luck catching them during the burbot spawn, when the whitefish were busy picking up burbot eggs.
I uses a small spoon with a chunk of minnow on it and bang it a bit on the bottom until the whitefish came in and then held still or a very slight quiver while they checked it out.
This is my biggest whitefish to date, a 5.8lber.

The sun was bright that day,lol.

WW

Offline jwg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 04, 2017, 10:42 AM »
The only whitefish i have ever caught were in diefenbaker,and i catch them using the same thing i would use for perch,a small spoon and meal worms or maggots.

Offline ToonFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 16, 2017, 08:51 AM »
Found no-stop whitefish swimming down there at 15 fow at the edge of shallow area in the afternoon. Bites were few and far between but lasted until one hour after sunset. Iced five plus a walleye with bare spoons but missed a lot more bites or half way. They may go deep to ~35 fow as the season goes in Lake Diefenbaker. The morning bites are normally more consistent than afternoon bites.

Offline saskbucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 16, 2017, 12:49 PM »
Found no-stop whitefish swimming down there at 15 fow at the edge of shallow area in the afternoon. Bites were few and far between but lasted until one hour after sunset. Iced five plus a walleye with bare spoons but missed a lot more bites or half way. They may go deep to ~35 fow as the season goes in Lake Diefenbaker. The morning bites are normally more consistent than afternoon bites.

Thanks Toon.  Have you or anyone else tried tying a wire worm hook to a swivel about 16-18" above a walleye spoon?  I think I may try that next time out.
Get outside.  It does a body and mind good!

Offline ToonFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 16, 2017, 03:43 PM »
 Used to tie one with a short line to the intermediate swivel. But it may cut my finger when the fish bites the bottom lure.
I also tied one in the main line above the bottom lure. They both work to catch fish and finger.

Offline ToonFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Feb 12, 2017, 12:12 AM »
Whitefish in Diefenbaker tends to be deeper during mid-ice. They were cruising around 30' deep this afternoon, at the same spot with walleyes and burbots. They liked my ~3" heavy jigging rap and spoon intended for burbot and big walleye.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.