Author Topic: Helix Ice 7 Flasher ?  (Read 3770 times)

Offline kmeyer

• IceShanty Rookie
Helix Ice 7 Flasher ?
« on: Dec 22, 2016, 04:04 PM »
   Hey all...I've been reading the threads on the Ice Helix models, but am curious about the performance specific to the flasher mode as I've been thinking about buying a Vexilar or Marcum. I have two of the regular Helix 10's on my bass boat and love them.  Since I have several Lakemaster chips already, the Helix Ice models are appealing.

Is the flasher mode responsive or delayed? Is the flasher mode similar in performance to the Vexilar or Marcum?

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Helix Ice 7 Flasher ?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2016, 12:31 PM »
It is what i use. Nice unit good response.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline kmeyer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2016, 06:39 PM »
Thanks Bee.  I appreciate your response.

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2016, 08:02 AM »
I used last year. Liked the unit Went with Garmin 721 xs this year only because of superior mapping in my area. You will find the Helix 7 just as response time equal to that of any flasher. Only thing is the card slots only accept the micro card. If your mapping cards are full size SD they will not fit.
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Offline kmeyer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 27, 2016, 10:52 AM »
Thanks Hays! I do have the micro cards with the full size adapter to put in my Helix 10. I've been doing a lot of research on all the flashers.  Certainly the Vex and Marcum's look awesome.  I leaning towards the Helix Ice though now for the extra features.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2016, 09:16 AM »
They work great! I've had my Helix 5 on the ice for 3 seasons now with 0 complaints. You might be surprised how much easier and more useful ice fishing with the graph view is vs the circular flasher - if you're going after suspended crappies its a game changer.

Catchin' Fish

Offline Yankee Troller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2016, 01:55 PM »
They work great! I've had my Helix 5 on the ice for 3 seasons now with 0 complaints. You might be surprised how much easier and more useful ice fishing with the graph view is vs the circular flasher - if you're going after suspended crappies its a game changer.

I agree!
Clam Pro & Yukon TC
Humminbird ICE55 & ICE HELIX 7
Thorne Bros Custom Ice Rods - Quiverstick, Power Noodle, Perch Sweetheart, Med Walleye Sweetheart, MH Walleye Sweetheart, and Deadstick
Daiwa Laguna Reels
Strikemaster 10" Lazer Pro & 6" Lazer
Ice Fishing Innovations Rod Locker

Offline kmeyer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2016, 06:14 PM »
Thanks guys.  I can definitely see the advantages of the graph mode.

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2016, 06:23 PM »
I run the older 597 and love it. One of the biggest advantages over a standard flasher is the charts. I run Navionics, but being able to find the spot on the spot and go back to it is priceless IMHO.

Offline kmeyer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 31, 2016, 10:22 AM »
Thanks everyone! I've decided to buy the Helix Ice 7.  Of course now it looks like vendors are all sold out and it's on backorder. Now for the patience test....lol

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 31, 2016, 02:40 PM »
Thanks everyone! I've decided to buy the Helix Ice 7.  Of course now it looks like vendors are all sold out and it's on backorder. Now for the patience test....lol
  Just get the regular 7 and add an xducer. Make up your own case.

Offline kmeyer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 01, 2017, 01:03 PM »
Thanks Bee. I'll look into that. I see some advantages to that as I could get a SI model too. I also plan to use it in the summer occasionally for the few times I fish out of a Kayak! I think I would lose the Flasher mode though. I may end up using the 2d graph more anyways.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 01, 2017, 06:33 PM »
Thanks Bee. I'll look into that. I see some advantages to that as I could get a SI model too. I also plan to use it in the summer occasionally for the few times I fish out of a Kayak! I think I would lose the Flasher mode though. I may end up using the 2d graph more anyways.

Thanks for the suggestion. Kitty Litter Container.

http://imgur.com/MEKG2BZ

Offline defish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 01, 2017, 09:03 PM »

I think Fleet Farm may have them available online.

Offline kmeyer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 02, 2017, 10:40 AM »
Thanks Defish.  I don't live too farm from there.  I'll give them a call.

Bee - Is that the Ice Helix or regular Helix? I thought only the ice had the flasher mode view. Is that wrong? In fact, if it has the flasher view, then what separates the "Ice" version from the regular? Is it just the Iceducer, case and battery? You can buy that separately anyways.

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 02, 2017, 10:57 AM »
Thanks Defish.  I don't live too farm from there.  I'll give them a call.

Bee - Is that the Ice Helix or regular Helix? I thought only the ice had the flasher mode view. Is that wrong? In fact, if it has the flasher view, then what separates the "Ice" version from the regular? Is it just the Iceducer, case and battery? You can buy that separately anyways.

Same unit. Only transducer is different. All 5-7 have the Flasher mode.

Offline kmeyer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 02, 2017, 11:31 AM »
Wow! I didn't know that.  Thanks Bee. This is a huge help.

So the Ice model is $599. The regular Helix 7 with SI is $699 (might be able to find it a little cheaper online). Add $150 for the case and battery plus $75 for the ice ducer gets me to $925. I know I can save a little by rigging my own case too.  Basically I'd be paying $325 for SI when I fish out of a Kayak in the summer.

Decisions...decisions. I have SI on my Helix 10 and it is pretty sweet. 2d works great though too and may be enough for Kayak fishing.

Defish - I called Fleet Farm and they don't have them.  They are on backorder. Thanks though for the suggestion.

Offline kmeyer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 13, 2017, 04:28 PM »
 Thanks to everyone who had input and helped me make my selection.  I picked up the Helix Ice 7 today! This thing is sweet. I'm hoping to get it out Sunday and or Monday. One thing though, on my Helix 10's the card slots have the springs in them to help pop them out. They are full size sd adapters though. On the new Helix Ice 7, I don't feel a spring.  The microsd card just slides all the way in. It works fine, but if I want to take the card out, I have to use a tweezer to pull it out. Is that normal?

It was super cool to take my microsd backup chip for my Bassboat Helix's and import all the way points that I use all summer to the Ice unit.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 13, 2017, 05:57 PM »
My 5 has the spring action, I'd think the 7s would too

Catchin' Fish

Offline kmeyer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 13, 2017, 09:31 PM »
Thanks Matzilla!

I think so too. I'm now having a second issue in that I was earlier able to get a gps lock, but now cannot. I'm getting the dreaded "No GPS Position Found". I've checked all the settings and even restored defaults. The fact that it just stopped working makes me think I have a issue with the internal antenna.

Edit:  Oddly enough, after playing around with it awhile, the GPS connected? It's working fine now. I'll need to get this out on the ice soon and break it in!

Offline Hesperus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 31, 2017, 04:29 PM »
For those running the Helix can you say how it compares to the Ice 55?

My chief complaint with my 55 is the narrow beam width. When using minnows they often swim out of the beam pattern with ease.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.