Author Topic: Quinte ice fishing - Dec 20th  (Read 1620 times)

Offline randaller

• IceShanty Rookie
Quinte ice fishing - Dec 20th
« on: Dec 21, 2016, 04:32 PM »
With the cold weekend in the BOQ area I had heard reports that the Potters Creek area was fishable. That’s all I needed to hear. The long range forecast didn’t look great so I decided to take a day off to take advantage of the early ice. I arrived at the lot for 7:00 to find it half full already. The morning bite consisted of a million perch under me at all times and not one walleye. At 10:30 I decided to pack up and look for a more productive area, after a stop at Tim’s and Canadian tire. I chatted with a few guys in the parking lot to find out that I wasn’t the only one that got skunked out there.

The afternoon bite was a different story. I spudded my way out and set up in 24 fow and as soon as I put the transducer in the water there were fish below me….big fish. About 20 minutes in I had a nice fish wack my gold buckshot spoon but come unbuttoned half way up. I dropped back down and a second fish crushed it. This wasn’t the biggest walleye I’ve ever caught but it was the hardest fighting by far. When there isn’t that much Ice I usually spud a large hole which makes it way easier to land a big fish.

The rest of the afternoon consisted of a lot of fish coming through with very few lookers, except for a small 2lber that crushed the bait and ended up in my freezer. Most of the fish were glued to the bottom and didn’t want to play. That being said, it was nice to be out on the Bay this early in the season and hook into a few eyes. I can’t wait to get out there in the New Year for a few days and hook into a few more.

Offline RickOnt

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Quinte ice fishing - Dec 20th
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2016, 06:06 PM »
Beauty fish right there!!!

Well done  I like it

Cheers
Rick

Offline PoCo Loco

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I'm willin' to do the drillin'
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2016, 01:10 PM »
Nice Job Randaller!

I've got some time off next week and was thinking about making the long drive (3+ hrs) up to Potter's. Can you give me any indication of the ice thickness you were seeing yesterday? Is that area of the BOQ frozen over all the way to the south shore already? Seems early.

I will keep watching the weather and will have all the safety equipment required if I do go. I will spud my way out and follow the same path back, so no need to worry about my safety.

Thanks,
PL

Offline randaller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2016, 03:25 PM »
Nice Job Randaller!

I've got some time off next week and was thinking about making the long drive (3+ hrs) up to Potter's. Can you give me any indication of the ice thickness you were seeing yesterday? Is that area of the BOQ frozen over all the way to the south shore already? Seems early.

I will keep watching the weather and will have all the safety equipment required if I do go. I will spud my way out and follow the same path back, so no need to worry about my safety.

Thanks,
PL

There was a good 5+ inches of ice at potters the other day. I don't know whats there now though. It was good looking ice so I bet it will be good for a bit. Good luck out there!

Offline Wingthing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JustJigIt
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2016, 07:16 PM »
Right on Randler looks like you went at the right time with all the snow & warm weather it may be awhile till it's safe again.

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2016, 10:42 AM »
nice job cant wait to hit Quinte this year.
@jzuliniak

Offline fishO

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 23, 2016, 05:06 PM »
Nice fish! Wish I had know the ice was there. Hopefully everything really freezes up nice soon so I can get out there.

Offline JPG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 27, 2016, 06:06 PM »
Hello everybody, I'm looking for some help.  I really want to plan a trip to Quinte for walleye with a set date of next year, 2 years at the latest.  I'm coming from the Niagara Falls area.  So, the biggest obstacle is whether to get a guide or not.  If most of the help I receive states "get a guide", can someone point me in the right direction please?  If no guide...where should I stay that has close access to the Ice?  I'm a walker but I could bring my atv if you think it's needed.  I guess before I pick a place to stay I should pick an area of ice to fish first.....any help would be appreciated and I don't expect hot spots but, certain ice would help. 
"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway."

Offline Wingthing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JustJigIt
« Reply #8 on: Dec 28, 2016, 09:37 AM »
PM sent JPG

Kingston K

« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2017, 01:53 PM »
Any updates on the ice as of this week? I'm in the Kingston area every weekend and would love to get out.

Thanks!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.