Mobile Site Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel

Home | ThinIce | Chat | Pictures | Archives | ProShop | Militia | Sponsors
Iceshanty.com sponsored in part by:
FishUSA | Marcum | Fish307 | KTP | Cabelas | CJS | PolarBird | AcmeTackle
Sep 22, 2017, 08:56 PM
Support Iceshanty... Get some great gear and forum goodies... Join The Iceshanty Militia

Author Topic: "Pike attacking human" myths  (Read 19290 times)

littlepike

• IceShanty Rookie

• Team NY
Re: "Pike attacking human" myths
« Reply #20 on: Aug 20, 2006, 06:03 PM »
Catfish and bullheads are more dangerous with their stingers than pike or musky are.

Ya I think bullhead are more dangerous or is it just because their babies were near by.  ::)

reubenpa

• Team IceShanty Addict

« Reply #21 on: Aug 21, 2006, 08:28 PM »
bullheads don't have STINGERS... just thorns    ::) ::) ::) ::)

grumpymoe

« Reply #22 on: Aug 21, 2006, 08:52 PM »
exactly....looks more like a decent cat got a mouthfull of inside knee..I presume your leg was near fully extended when it decided it liked you!! Grump  ;D

pike hound

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #23 on: Oct 26, 2006, 05:50 PM »
I've seen a few articles on it but mostly the reports are stories or exaggerations and probably just a hand or foot mistaken for a bait fish. Imagine one one of those european 40-70 pound pike grabbing a hold of your foot! They couldn't kill you but I guarantee you would need new underwear. I would love to see a 40 pound pike but on my line not my hand!

jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #24 on: Nov 01, 2006, 08:36 PM »
we had a incident here in n. maine of a 8yr. old girl getting her foot bit by a muskie while dangling it in the water off a dock. story was in the local paper in early summer. apparently it released immediatly after bitting but caused alot of damage nonetheless. i landed about a doz. muskie over 12lbs this summer and boy they can tear you up prettty nasty if a finger slips in thier mouth. i can imagine acctually getting bit!
FISH HARDWATER OR DIE TRYING!!!

Meatro14

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #25 on: Nov 27, 2006, 06:17 PM »
I'm pretty sure it's a myth, but don't take my word on it, I just think the stories you hear are true fisherman tales

njsimonson

• Team IceShanty Regular

• Panfish are the new walleyes
« Reply #26 on: Dec 08, 2006, 11:47 AM »
A saw a newspaper article two kids swimming it was a pike or muskie grabbed kids fingers needed stiches.(rare case)

Two summers ago a muskie attacked the hand of a neighbor girl in the water in front of our neighbor's cabin.  She needed 8 stitches.  It was on Big Detroit Lake, MN just in front of where Sucker's Creek meets the lake, we see many muskies there and my brother caught his first there this year, a 43" fish on a Mepps Big Muskie Killer bucktail.  But that's just an average fish.  I held a 49" this summer, and our neighbor caught a 52" in June last year. 

I've never heard of pike attacking anyone tho. 
Born to fish, forced to go to work and think about fishing and talk about fishing with coworkers.

ski

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #27 on: Dec 09, 2006, 01:31 AM »
Last summer my brothers son was washing his hands over side of boat ,just as he pulled hand out of water a pike  jumped out of water and missed his hand by inches,I have had them jump out of water right at boat going for hook that was just pulled from water

pikeie

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #28 on: Dec 09, 2006, 11:53 PM »
one of my old nabhours was at there cottage, while out swimming a muskie  :o grabbed her foot. they estimated the muskie at around 45" inches. when she got back from the hospital she couldn't walk for about a month. the muskie sliced right through one of the tendons and needed a whole lot of stitches.

the bite pattern on her foot was about 8" :o.

so yes muskie (and probably a pike will too) will bite a person but it is very rare.

AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac

• All hail to the King!!
« Reply #29 on: Dec 18, 2006, 06:41 AM »
I too have heard stories from divers diving in dams. They said there were pike down there as big as them, so I'm assuming 5-6 feet, and probably 30-60 lbs. It wouldn't supprise me to tell you the truth..
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #30 on: Dec 27, 2006, 02:48 AM »
i've always wanted to try dangling a finger off a dock, just barely sticking it in the water and seeing if i could get one to jump on it, just don't wanna risk the stitches!  talk about xtreme fishing!

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

catexecuter

• IceShanty Newbie

« Reply #31 on: Mar 10, 2017, 06:01 PM »
I was fishing on the Wisconsin river and I caught a 7 in northern on a 8 inch jointed lure. only hooked on the second half of lure.

esox_xtm

• Team IceShanty Maniac

• It's Showtime!
« Reply #32 on: Mar 10, 2017, 07:12 PM »
Hmm. None of this surprises me, truth or myth.

I've fished muskies for a few decades and seen 'em take down a full grown duck with my own eyes. never a mammal or anything larger. I've witnessed numerous baby ducks disappear.

As far as humans? Well, there was a well documented tale of a State Trooper dangling a foot over the side of a canoe that got nailed. Not surprising. Muskies and their pike cousins are notorious top feeders. Anything floating or splashing on top that might be something good to eat will often end up there.

As far a small pike being "suicidal"? No question. They are  far and away the most aggressive creatures in the water. They are not alone. My biggest largemouth (24.5") was caught on a full size Bucher DepthRaider and I've caught at least 5 or 6 20+ inch bass on a 10" Suick. You tell me...

I've seen small snot rockets launch themselves at lures dangling over the side of the boat or engulfing lures before they hit the water on a lob cast. I'd believe most anything when it comes to pike.

Wholly Moley! I just realized if this thing hadn't been exhumed   it would be over 10 years old!  ::)

It's alive!!! :woot:

Not fish? Not an option!

"Life's too short to worry, life's too long to wait..."

Tomasz.B

• IceShanty Rookie

• DTF (Down to fish)
« Reply #33 on: Mar 13, 2017, 11:47 PM »
got 3 nice pike over 38 inches in one day here my video of the day out.
one attacked me and smoked me in the face
https://youtu.be/2Q5yShVMn0E

Subscribe to my youtube channel its good trust me !! :)
https://www.youtube.com/c/Burlagafishingteam

also check out my Instagram for Big Fish. ;)
https://www.instagram.com/burlagafishingteam/

Iceshanty.com sponsored in part by:
FishUSA | Marcum | Fish307 | Cabelas | CJS | PolarBird AcmeTackle
Home | ThinIce | Chat | Pictures | Archives | ProShop | GearShop | Militia | Sponsors

Ice Fishing @ www.iceshanty.com Fishing @ www.myfishfinder.com Hunting @ www.myhuntingforum.com

Contact | Sponsor IceShanty.com | Disclaimer
©1996- IceShanty.com
All Rights Reserved