The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: New to the Oshkosh area  (Read 736 times)

Offline dambeckr

• IceShanty Rookie
New to the Oshkosh area
« on: Dec 19, 2016, 11:32 AM »
New to the oshkosh area and looking for some advise.

Thanks

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: New to the Oshkosh area
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2016, 11:37 AM »
Welcome! I live and fish in the Oshkosh area. Your post is kind of vague lol. General advice; don't eat at the 'China king' !!!

Offline dambeckr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2016, 01:09 PM »
Ha. Thanks. Great advice.
I am looking for a few places to get out on the ice. 
Just trying to get familiar with the area

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2016, 01:50 PM »
You have come to an anglers paradise! I'm not sure what your target species is but the Winnebago chain can accommodate almost any preference. Lake Winnebago is over 215 square miles in area, therefore it can be daunting as to where to start. For walleye, whitebass and the occasional perch and crappie we are fishing the mud flats, there is no right answer. The key is move, move, move, until you find consistent hungry fish. The best place to access the mudflats is the merit street landing. Otter street fishing club maintains plowed roads and put out steel truck bridges over the pressure cracks. You can support them buy donating at the bridges, or by stopping at jerrys bar on ceape age and getting a yearly membership. If panfish is your target some really nice perch, crappie and blue till can be caught in asylum bay of of cty rd A. Depending on the year there are some really nice perch stacked up in there, last year and to start early ice this year there have been some slob crappies being caught there. Best for crappie and perch in my experience is the break between the points. If your a tipup fisherman, Scott's bay on lake bute des morts has steady action with a chance at 40"+ fish every time out. Lake poygan has all the same opportunities as Winnebago I usually decide where to fish based on the fishing reports and if I know of the location of a school of fish. Lastly if your interested in seclusion and peaceful ice fishing you are in the wrong place. People do a lot of there fishing with binoculars, and will pull right next to you. If you want peaceful fishing I would recommend finding a little lake in sand country, the waushara county area(wild rise, wautoma, mt. Morris). Good luck! Have a great winter

Offline dambeckr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2016, 02:12 PM »
Thanks.
I am just off of hwy 21 near bdm
I have seen a few guys down by skipper buds.
I am looking forward to just getting out and on the ice.

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2016, 02:20 PM »
Skipper buds is always first to freeze around here. Asylum bay and I'm assuming all the bay's on the west side of Winnebago should be fishable right now. It takes a while for the big girl to firm up though!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.