Author Topic: Whiteswan  (Read 3730 times)

Offline splaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
Whiteswan
« on: Dec 18, 2016, 04:45 PM »
Any ice reports from whiteswan?
Splaker

Offline shootsmcgee

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Whiteswan
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2016, 06:13 PM »
I heard the wind finally died down and ice has finally formed but a little rough. A good source said there was about 8 inches a few days ago so i certainly wouldn't wander into the middle yet, she's a deep lake! Hopefully the fishing is good this year, a guy can catch lots of 5-7 pounders but I never hear of any 20 pounders or bigger come out of there and I know a few locals. I think the lakers are almost stunted as there's no large forage fish to grow them huge. If that lake was ever stocked with whitefish I think it would grow some behemoths!
well if you were me then i'd be you and i really wouldn't know what the hell I was talking about...

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2016, 09:07 AM »
I heard the wind finally died down and ice has finally formed but a little rough. A good source said there was about 8 inches a few days ago so i certainly wouldn't wander into the middle yet, she's a deep lake! Hopefully the fishing is good this year, a guy can catch lots of 5-7 pounders but I never hear of any 20 pounders or bigger come out of there and I know a few locals. I think the lakers are almost stunted as there's no large forage fish to grow them huge. If that lake was ever stocked with whitefish I think it would grow some behemoths!

I agree with that.

Guy up there said when they had fish in the pens this fall they had a couple 20s but mostly 2-10

Couple shacks sitting on shore waiting to make the trip across by the looks of it  Id imagine if you skirted the shoreline all the way around youd be fine

Offline ggpr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2017, 02:35 PM »
Hey all,

Thinking of going up and winter camping at whiteswan for a few days this weekend.  I was wondering if anyone had any recent reports on snow cover on the lake in regards to driving on, pretty sure ice thickness should be good to drive on?  I read that it was 14 inches on the 26th of dec.  Also any reports on how fishing has been?  Any tips would also be very appreciated.  Dont get to fish lakers often so would love to maximize my opportunities to catch them. 

I am pretty confident in my lure selection but if anyone had any other lake specific lure reccomendations i would appreciate that too.  Generally I have had my best (only? lol) luck on white tubes and bionic bucktails, also had a little bit of luck on large spoons (williams wobblers and canoe spoons) but im not sure about jigging those massive spoons lol.  Any info on depths or even locations to target the fish would be appreciated too.  I have a few ideas on the type of structure id like to fish but am not very familiar with the lake.  In the past i read that the fish primarily feed on shrimp in the lake, and i assumed that would mean they would likely stick near the bottom, however i believe someone corrected me in the past saying the shrimp can be suspended.

Any help would be appreciated.  Feel free to PM if you prefer.

Thanks!

Offline ggpr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2017, 01:31 PM »
Camped in the winter tent for 2 nights this weekend, fished whiteswan and pinkney. 

Whiteswan was very busy, the fish were decently active based on my one time past experience there (1 fish iced, no other interested) and i managed to catch one laker, and had another decent on right to the hole and 2 other bites/chases.  Most people we talked to had caught 1 or 2 fish.  The heave at the launch was as expected our first day upon arrival from what i read online (froze over and well travelled).  Returning to the lake the 2nd morning however (sunday) the heave had risen up quite a bit and there was fresh water along it at multiple spots including at the truck path over it.  We inspected it and seen that other trucks had went over it so we went out, it was quite a bump though and everyone appeared to be cautious of it which is good.

Fished pinkney on monday for a few hours (aside from tip ups while gathering wood and a little evening fishing the previous days).  Managed to catch these 2 nice pike (34 and 30 inches).  The laker at whiteswan was 24 inches.

Whiteswan was pretty good for driving on, some drifts were deep but we had no problems getting around, a number of roads to the multiple shanty villages were also present.  We helped push one guy out at the first grouping of shacks who went into one of the bigger drifts.  Man are there a ton of shacks out there this year!! I didnt go up last winter but the last time i was up there it didnt seem like this many shacks, but perhaps i didnt see all the ones that were across the lake (do recall shacks at the narrows though).

Pinkney was significantly more snow, id definitely say it would not be drive on.  After walking on and drilling holes it created a ton of slush around the holes as water came up.  Like in at least a 30 ft radius around the holes it seemed like.  I have read the lake is generally pretty bad for slush under the snow, it didnt seem to be like that until holes were drilled at least currently. 

Offline jigapoolza

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2017, 03:01 PM »
Thanks for the report ggpr some good info there.

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2017, 04:59 PM »
Good report ggpr. :)
Nice looking pike and lake trout. :tipup:

WW

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2017, 09:34 PM »
Really nice fish for pink he good for you

Slow fishing on Whiteswan

Offline NorthernPress

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2017, 12:28 PM »
Camped in the winter tent for 2 nights this weekend, fished whiteswan and pinkney. 

Whiteswan was very busy, the fish were decently active based on my one time past experience there (1 fish iced, no other interested) and i managed to catch one laker, and had another decent on right to the hole and 2 other bites/chases.  Most people we talked to had caught 1 or 2 fish.  The heave at the launch was as expected our first day upon arrival from what i read online (froze over and well travelled).  Returning to the lake the 2nd morning however (sunday) the heave had risen up quite a bit and there was fresh water along it at multiple spots including at the truck path over it.  We inspected it and seen that other trucks had went over it so we went out, it was quite a bump though and everyone appeared to be cautious of it which is good.

Fished pinkney on monday for a few hours (aside from tip ups while gathering wood and a little evening fishing the previous days).  Managed to catch these 2 nice pike (34 and 30 inches).  The laker at whiteswan was 24 inches.

Whiteswan was pretty good for driving on, some drifts were deep but we had no problems getting around, a number of roads to the multiple shanty villages were also present.  We helped push one guy out at the first grouping of shacks who went into one of the bigger drifts.  Man are there a ton of shacks out there this year!! I didnt go up last winter but the last time i was up there it didnt seem like this many shacks, but perhaps i didnt see all the ones that were across the lake (do recall shacks at the narrows though).

Pinkney was significantly more snow, id definitely say it would not be drive on.  After walking on and drilling holes it created a ton of slush around the holes as water came up.  Like in at least a 30 ft radius around the holes it seemed like.  I have read the lake is generally pretty bad for slush under the snow, it didnt seem to be like that until holes were drilled at least currently. 

Sweet fish man - did you just walk on to Pinkney? I've never ice fished there, but I've had good luck shore fishing so I imagine the ice fishing close by the boat launch is decent as well.

I'm headed to Whiteswan this weekend.

Offline CookieCrumbler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2017, 07:14 AM »
I've never caught a lake trout before and am thinking about trying Whiteswan this weekend. Any reports on lake access? I was wondering if you can get around in a 4x4 truck?

Offline Instro_Mental

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2017, 08:38 AM »
I was getting around last year with my truck, I was the only one out there one day with a vehicle - seemed like everyone else had sleds.

and we had way more snow last year so I would say its a safe bet that you can make it on. *just bring a shovel!*
My drinking team has an ice fishing problem.

Instagram - INSTRO_MENTAL

Offline shootsmcgee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 03, 2017, 10:11 AM »
I'm pretty sure they received about 12 inches of snow last weaker the week before. Lots of heaves this year and I imagine the snow has drifted pretty good. Might not be the greatest idea to assume you can drive across it
well if you were me then i'd be you and i really wouldn't know what the hell I was talking about...

Offline splaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 03, 2017, 11:34 AM »
Was there snowmobiling last weekend, area received about 20 cm in last dump. Was there couple weeks ago fishing and by Sunday the heave at boat launch was difficult to get over unless you had a high truck. Don't imagine the heave has gotten any smaller. Plan on walking or snowmobiling out.
Splaker

Offline Instro_Mental

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 03, 2017, 02:02 PM »
good to know - much appreciated.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 03, 2017, 07:18 PM »
 was at a lake north of whiteswan last weekend and i bet there was 18-20" snow on the ice.  great for the skidoo.

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 05, 2017, 09:38 AM »
much more snow 45min ne of prince albert then right around here thats for sure.  Sleds burning fuel up there now

Offline Instro_Mental

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 18, 2017, 06:38 PM »
anyone head up to whiteswan this weekend?

was has this weather done to the snow and heave?

also - how's da bite!!

Offline splaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 18, 2017, 06:56 PM »
Heading there tommorow morning will get some info
Splaker

Offline splaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 20, 2017, 08:41 AM »
Was there yesterday. Bite was slow caught one 5lber. Trucks driving on at boat launch.
Splaker

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 21, 2017, 08:36 AM »
nice going  did you fish am or pm?

Offline splaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 21, 2017, 09:38 AM »
we were a little later than planned but had hooks in water by 9 am. fishing in front of beach at first group of shacks 45 FOW. Actually marked the most fish around noon. Talked to a few others who also found it slow. Not back till March 10th now, hopefully things pick up. Fished two lakes in NHPP Saturday caught one bow and a nice tiger.
Splaker

Offline SK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 21, 2017, 12:51 PM »
we were a little later than planned but had hooks in water by 9 am. fishing in front of beach at first group of shacks 45 FOW. Actually marked the most fish around noon. Talked to a few others who also found it slow. Not back till March 10th now, hopefully things pick up. Fished two lakes in NHPP Saturday caught one bow and a nice tiger.

What were you using for Tigers?

Offline splaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 21, 2017, 01:32 PM »
minnows
Splaker

Offline SK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 21, 2017, 05:49 PM »
Splaker how thick is the ice out there? Need the extension on the Auger or not yet?

Offline splaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 21, 2017, 07:01 PM »
Whiteswan and candle were both around 30-34" smaller lakes had less.
Splaker

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.