The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: clam plate 8 inch gear box recall  (Read 24750 times)

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: clam plate 8 inch gear box recall
« Reply #60 on: Jan 22, 2017, 10:44 AM »
At this point mine will be out of warranty before I can even really test the fixed version, if that even happens.. My warranty ends in October, was written along and on the same page with the other group of lies they used to swindle some of us.

Is their warranty even valid and or legal being that it was based on a product that has yet to even be made?

<°)))>{

Offline Jtemp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #61 on: Jan 23, 2017, 08:34 AM »
Just curious on what gear broke in your guys boxes? I had my input shaft (the gear that's connected to the drill )  break on Dec 22nd at the end of my 7th hole.

running the plate with gearbox or just shaft and bearing?  got lots of holes done without issue on the shaft and bearing the plate came with.

Offline HuskerTRX

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #62 on: Jan 23, 2017, 11:00 PM »
I had a gear box,  it broke on 7th hole. Using it now with the shaft and bearing. It still works fine, but it worked really nice with the gear box...

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #63 on: Jan 23, 2017, 11:53 PM »
Maybe I'm wrong but powder gears....sounds like a 3D printed gear and the powder to hardening additive was/is off. Obviously the Original clam box was aluminum box.....now its plastic.......kinda looks like some cuts/changes were made to increase profits last minute and testing wasn't done.

Kinda reminds me of the clam spring bobber debacle they had when it was put in cold temps would bend over and stay......lol.

Seems like about every year clam has this and learns a lesson that cheap crap cost them. Think they would wake up and do things right after seeing them do this about every year.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #64 on: Jan 24, 2017, 11:49 AM »
This thread needs a soundtrack...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tKsjty-yT6U

<°)))>{

Offline copperjig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Jan 24, 2017, 06:18 PM »
I ordered on a couple of months ago from Clam directly.  They put it on hold because of the recall and all the issues.  Then I received an email asking if I was still interested in the box and wanted to wait or to cancel the order.  I told them I was willing to wait.  The girl said they were going to begin shipping them out in the middle of January.  Guess what? I got an email from Clam today saying that they were cancelling all the orders because of the recall and that I could reorder next year.    They should not have marketed the box until all the bugs were worked out.  The company is getting too big for it's britches.
Spud, throw rope, PFD and stay on top

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech

Offline copperjig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Jan 25, 2017, 06:18 PM »
anyone ever try this Ice Master.  Looks pretty cool.  It sounds like it is built right.
Spud, throw rope, PFD and stay on top

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #68 on: Jan 26, 2017, 10:20 AM »
anyone ever try this Ice Master.  Looks pretty cool.  It sounds like it is built right.
if you are talking about the ice master auger/drill adapter.ive been running it for a few years now and see no need for the clam plate.i run a 5 inch lazer or 6 inch mora on it.

Offline Maizen

• IceShanty Rookie
  • live in Canton Mich grew up on clarklake
« Reply #69 on: Jan 26, 2017, 11:15 AM »
Lucky for me my Milwaukee clam plate gear box is still working with my 8inch nils about 900 holes on it now and I am getting great battery life out of the 5 amp  now I hope clam gets the replacement gear box out sooner then later knocking on wood that it will hold up for my 14 day ice fishing vacation that I am about to leave on

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #70 on: Jan 26, 2017, 11:25 AM »
Lucky for me my Milwaukee clam plate gear box is still working with my 8inch nils about 900 holes on it now and I am getting great battery life out of the 5 amp  now I hope clam gets the replacement gear box out sooner then later knocking on wood that it will hold up for my 14 day ice fishing vacation that I am about to leave on

Your Milwaukee could probably turn that Nils without the gearbox if needed...

<°)))>{

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: Jan 26, 2017, 04:11 PM »
I am still hoping for this to work awesome..

The good news..

I got an email saying they were confident they would begin shipping replacement units as soon as next week.. :tipup:

Just in time for winter again...

<°)))>{

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #72 on: Jan 26, 2017, 06:16 PM »
Your Milwaukee could probably turn that Nils without the gearbox if needed...

<°)))>{

It will and does. I turned it fine with the 2604 model 725inlbs and the 2704 model 1200inlbs turns it even better.

Offline Jtemp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #73 on: Jan 27, 2017, 10:00 AM »
Just received the email as well they should be shipping next week. 

Offline Sharp Nils

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #74 on: Jan 27, 2017, 05:59 PM »
 Good to hear the new gear boxes will be out soon.  I've always thought highly of the company and many of the individuals involved with Clam.
Frank DeLuca

[email protected]

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #75 on: Jan 28, 2017, 10:13 PM »
Good to hear the new gear boxes will be out soon.  I've always thought highly of the company and many of the individuals involved with Clam.

Ya know, I'd like to see it all work out too... For myself (1984), they were the first and only "bigger" company out there that had anything to do with improving my time on the hardwater..

Seems they've hit some bumps in the road lately.. Would like to see em take hold of the market and build purposeful bullet proof again!!

They've been number one before.. That spot is now shared by a number of companies, depending on what you need.. We could only hope any single company takes that single place again to set an even higher bar.. But the industry is getting very specialized, a one brand king might not even be a possibility these days..

I really want a smooth geared 8" auger, and this might still be the ticket... We'll see..

<°)))>{

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #76 on: Jan 28, 2017, 10:35 PM »
Ya know, I'd like to see it all work out too... For myself (1984), they were the first and only "bigger" company out there that had anything to do with improving my time on the hardwater..

Seems they've hit some bumps in the road lately.. Would like to see em take hold of the market and build purposeful bullet proof again!!

They've been number one before.. That spot is now shared by a number of companies, depending on what you need.. We could only hope any single company takes that single place again to set an even higher bar.. But the industry is getting very specialized, a one brand king might not even be a possibility these days..

I really want a smooth geared 8" auger, and this might still be the ticket... We'll see..

<°)))>{

I understand how you guys feel. However this is a case of pushing profits, cutting cost, and no field testing due to late changes due to profit reasons.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #77 on: Jan 28, 2017, 10:49 PM »
I understand how you guys feel. However this is a case of pushing profits, cutting cost, and no field testing due to late changes due to profit reasons.

No argument here.. I'm not doubting they tested the first ones, bet they worked awesome.. I'll take one of those!

<°)))>{

Offline Maizen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #78 on: Jan 29, 2017, 07:19 PM »
I have been trying hard to find how many holes my clam plate/gearbox reduction/5 amp 18 volt fuel will drill. And today I drilled 75 holes with my 8 inch nils and the battery still showed 75% full the ice was 11 inches . Best auger combo I have ever used.

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #79 on: Jan 30, 2017, 04:39 AM »
Theoretically, the reduction box will have a minimal impact on how many holes you can drill, if the comparison is to an auger of the same size.  The amount of work to dig a hole doesn't change.  That said, the current draw from the battery will be about half (for twice as long) so it is possible that at the end of its life, the battery will give a hole or two extra because it won't cut out due to its maximum sustainable current.

The real advantage of the box will be to allow you to drill larger holes without hitting the limit of the electric drill/battery.   

Offline Maizen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #80 on: Jan 31, 2017, 09:55 AM »
happy birthday to me just shatered my gears took a old hole i didnt see to
do it

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #81 on: Jan 31, 2017, 10:07 AM »
happy birthday to me just shatered my gears took a old hole i didnt see to
do it

Inconsistencies drilling old holes can be tough...

Good thing is, from the latest news, your wait shouldn't be too long...

Good luck with it!!

<°)))>{

Offline Maizen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #82 on: Jan 31, 2017, 11:10 AM »
It was a old hole about 6 inches down I found half of a hole didn't see if when I started

Offline Maizen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #83 on: Feb 02, 2017, 07:13 PM »
Good new just got my confirmation  email my new gearbox is on the way with some extra goodies

Offline Caseman2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Feb 02, 2017, 11:00 PM »
That is great news!!!

I can't wait to hear the reviews.    I was close to getting rid of my clam plate to try out that ice kicker 2.     While I do like my 7in lazer i do miss my 8in.

It would be nice to see some side by side video of with vs with out gear box.  To see how much the speed difference is.   Not that it's a huge deal.

Offline Jtemp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #85 on: Feb 03, 2017, 09:34 AM »
Good new just got my confirmation  email my new gearbox is on the way with some extra goodies

that was quick didn't you just grenade yours the other day? still have not got my shipping confirmation.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #86 on: Feb 03, 2017, 09:46 AM »
that was quick didn't you just grenade yours the other day? still have not got my shipping confirmation.

Same here...

Lol I've had a paper weight for over two months..

Still waiting on my tracking confirmation email...

They said as soon as early this week, which didn't happen with anyone I know..

Hopefully we'll get them next week...

My woodchuck said 6 more weeks of winter!

<°)))>{

Offline Jtemp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #87 on: Feb 03, 2017, 10:15 AM »
Same here...

Lol I've had a paper weight for over two months..

Still waiting on my tracking confirmation email...

They said as soon as early this week, which didn't happen with anyone I know..

Hopefully we'll get them next week...

My woodchuck said 6 more weeks of winter!

<°)))>{

just emailed the rep again to see what the hold up is... i will let you know if they respond.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #88 on: Feb 03, 2017, 10:40 AM »

just emailed the rep again to see what the hold up is... i will let you know if they respond.

10-4

Thanks!

<°)))>{

Offline whiteyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #89 on: Feb 03, 2017, 11:43 AM »
I talked with clam yesterday and they told me some have been sent house this week. They said they are processing the them the order that they received the warranty forms. They told me I should have mine by the end of next week. Sounds like everyone will be getting a sweatshirt and a pair of gloves with the new gear box.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.